View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 11:44 PM   #22
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

June 25, 1984

Rookie ball gets going today, which means it’s time to clean up the minor league rosters and make some promotions, if necessary.
  • LF Keith Hughes promoted to AA Reading

The outfielder was electric in A Peninsula (301 PA, .316/.392/.506, 29 XBH, +3.5 ZR, .995 EFF, 3.3 WAR) and will take the starting job in Reading.
  • RF Kevin Ward promoted to AA Reading

Same idea here. Ward was awesome in Peninsula (303 PA, .322/.396/.468, 23 XBH, -0.3 ZR, 1.005 WFF, 2.9 WAR), adding speed, as well. The defense was about average. He’ll need to step that up in Reading, but the new Phillies outfield is Peninsula’s opening day group: Hughes, Todd Soares, and Ward.
  • LF Jerome Stone promoted to A Peninsula
  • RF Jim Vest promoted to A Peninsula

The former was a signee and will get to start his 1984 campaign, while the latter was down in extended spring training and needs to come out swinging.
  • RF Gib Siebert promoted to AAA Portland

The 23-year-old had a decent half-season in Reading (255 PA, .284/.349/.402, 20 XBH, -1.1 ZR, .984 EFF, 0.8 WAR); this is a pseudo-aggressive attempt to see if he can clean up the defense, mostly. We’ll see.

June 25, 1984

With the season starting to slip away, it’s time to make another change or two. And finally, I think I’m going to move on from John Wockenfuss. His numbers: 79 PA, .222/.282/.306, 2 XBH, 0.0 WAR. Looking at team strengths and weaknesses, I see the Royals could use a backup catcher with experience, so I offer Wockenfuss for a minor league reliever.

Game 1984-74: Veterans Stadium - Mets 4, Phillies 3 (10) / 30-44

Sheesh. A homer by Hubie Brooks off Don Carman in the 10th wins it for the Mets. Would be nice to get one of these Ws, but alas.

June 26, 1984

Kansas City rejects my trade offer for Wockenfuss, countering by wanting any number of decent but not top prospects. Meh. Meanwhile, Wockenfuss himself is angry that he’s not getting playing time. Get in line with the other guys who stink, John.

Going down the line, I can’t find a fair deal for Wockenfuss (essentially, I’m not trading additional players in a Wockenfuss deal). I’ll try again tomorrow, but if no dice, he’s heading to Portland (he has one option left).

Game 1984-75: Veterans Stadium - Mets 2, Phillies 1 (10) / 30-45

A recap of yesterday. Bleh. This time we have a 1-0 lead and Tug McGraw blows it in the eighth; of course, he’s not having a bad season otherwise (16.1 IP, 2.76 ERA). It’s just this time …

Also Kevin Gross leaves the game early with a sore back. Nothing major.

June 27, 1984

Late in the morning we hosted the USA baseball team, who played an exhibition against the South Korean amateur club. It’s a talented group, including likely top 1985 draft choices Barry Larkin, Will Clark, Pete Incaviglia, Bobby Witt, and probably the top draft prospect, North Carolina’s B.J. Surhoff. Plus, the team has a bunch of 1984 draftees, including Drew Hall with the Cubs, Norm Charlton with the Expos, and top prospect Mark McGwire with Oakland (hitting around .200 in AAA right now).

Game 1984-76: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 7, Mets 6 / 31-45

We finally get that comeback win I’ve been pining for. Down 6-4 in the eighth, we tie it with a throwing error and a Greg Gross single; then, we win it in the ninth with a Juan Samuel triple and Sixto Lezcano single.
  • C/1B John Wockenfuss demoted to AAA Portland
  • 1B/RF Mark Funderburk promoted to MLB Philadelphia

In this now lost season, it’s time for a pick-me-up. Mark Funderburk, who was out of baseball and looked finished before returning in our spring training camp, hit .275/.325/.546 with 17 home runs in AAA Portland. He makes it. Give him a hand.

June 28, 1984

Last series of June, and we’re getting to a turning point in this 1984 campaign. For now, let’s take on the Astros, see if we can win two, and get a good feeling.

Meanwhile:
  • SP Joe Cowley activated from 60-day disabled list; placed on irrevocable waivers

Cowley has no options remaining (he was a waiver claim back before spring training), so I’m going to try and get him through to get settled in AAA Portland.

Game 1984-77: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 8, Astros 5 / 32-45

Like clockwork, a 5-0 lead disappears almost immediately. But! The game holds steady for a few innings, with Tug McGraw doing yeoman’s work for two. And in the eighth we break through, as Len Matuszek singles home a hard-charging Mike Schmidt, and two batters later Gary Maddox (!) strikes a two-run single for his second and third RBI of the season.

The unfortunate thing is Kelly Downs now has a 6.39 ERA. His K/9 (3.9) and BB/9 (2.8) are in line with his norms, but his HR/9 (1.8) is much higher. Essentially his lack of movement isn’t playing against these better hitters. Once John Denny returns, I may decide to send Downs back to AAA Portland for a bit more seasoning, so he doesn’t ruin his confidence. That said, he’s a hard worker, so I believe in him either way.

June 29, 1984

Welp, just found out that Steve Carlton has a bruised thigh and may miss a start. With no days off until the all-star break (10 games), this might be a great time to give Lefty a breather. Downs will stay for now.
  • SP Steve Carlton placed on 15-day injured list
  • RP Jim Kern promoted to MLB Philadelphia

Basically, I’ll see how John Denny does in his rehab start tomorrow in Portland. If he’s ready to go I’ll just add him when Carlton’s number comes back around, and send Kern back down to AAA. If not, I’ll see who can take a start from Portland.

Game 1984-78: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 12, Astros 7 / 33-45

Schmidt snaps out of his funk with a 3-hit game, while Sixto Lezcano adds a home run, and Glenn Wilson strikes three hits.

June 30, 1984

The Cardinals have claimed Joe Cowley.

Game 1984-79: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 4, Astros 1 / 34-45

Four straight wins! Jerry Koosman pitches well (8.1 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 5 K), lowering his ERA to 4.67 and giving me second thoughts about cutting short his rotation time. Schmidt adds his 15th homer, and Von Hayes strikes his fifth. With a .279/.359/.391 line, he’s my first-half offensive MVP.

Last edited by The_Myth; 07-01-2019 at 11:54 PM.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote