OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Talk Sports (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   NBA 2019 Thread (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=307145)

monkeyman576 10-08-2019 11:47 AM

NBA 2019 Thread

China to cancel NBA telecasts after pro-democracy tweets:

"We're strongly dissatisfied and oppose Adam Silver's claim to support Morey's right to freedom of expression," the statement read. "We believe that any remarks that challenge national sovereignty and social stability are not within the scope of freedom of speech."

James Harden: "We apologize. You know, we love China. We love playing there," Harden said. "For both of us individually, we go there once or twice a year. They show us the most important love."

This is totally opposite the concept of freedom of speech. It's a little rediculous that we have to be apologetic to China but China doesn't have to respect our free speech standards.

Rizon 10-08-2019 12:49 PM

I've always really disliked Harden and the Rockets, so this is just another reason to dislike them more.

rudel.dietrich 10-08-2019 04:10 PM

To bad this story has to mar the pre-season and training camp.

The NBA prides itself as a progressive league at the forefront of social change. It will be interesting to see where this story goes.
This is kind of a 'rubber meets road' situation. Do you continue to be guided by your ethics even though it may cost potentially hundreds of millions of dollars?

Cobra Mgr 10-08-2019 05:42 PM

Truth is, if the NBA and every other so-called "pro-democracy" corporation was worried about ethics, they wouldn't have entered China in the first place. But all companies see is a billion potential customers.

The above should not in any way, shape or form be considered siding w/the demonstrators. Nor should this disclaimer be seen as sympathetic towards Red China.

monkeyman576 10-08-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr (Post 4545158)
Truth is, if the NBA and every other so-called "pro-democracy" corporation was worried about ethics, they wouldn't have entered China in the first place. But all companies see is a billion potential customers.

The above should not in any way, shape or form be considered siding w/the demonstrators. Nor should this disclaimer be seen as sympathetic towards Red China.

I don't think that's a fair representation. China is moving towards Capitalism in many areas. Their bark is worse than their bite. It doesn't mean there should not be any American business interests in China.

Cobra Mgr 10-08-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyman576 (Post 4545166)
I don't think that's a fair representation. China is moving towards Capitalism in many areas. Their bark is worse than their bite. It doesn't mean there should not be any American business interests in China.

I'd invite you to look up how they are treating different religions, particularly foreign missionaries. Also look at the surveillance tech & policy they are about to institute in their country. That corporations are attempting to import. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

China is looking to strengthen their power & bank accounts. Not trying to move towards liberty for their citizens. If they are threatening to suspend business w/a billion dollar conglomerate for one lone exec's comments, freedom of thought is NOT on the country's agenda. This is a paranoid nation looking to seize control of everything they see because of their fear, just like any personality disordered individual. And the corporate world's greed for their billion+ consumers has pushed governments to compromise their phony values in order to gain access.

monkeyman576 10-08-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr (Post 4545169)
I'd invite you to look up how they are treating different religions, particularly foreign missionaries. Also look at the surveillance tech & policy they are about to institute in their country. That corporations are attempting to import. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

China is looking to strengthen their power & bank accounts. Not trying to move towards liberty for their citizens. If they are threatening to suspend business w/a billion dollar conglomerate for one lone exec's comments, freedom of thought is NOT on the country's agenda. This is a paranoid nation looking to seize control of everything they see because of their fear, just like any personality disordered individual. And the corporate world's greed for their billion+ consumers has pushed governments to compromise their phony values in order to gain access.

This is a fairly black and white perspective, and not at all based in reality. China is far from a perfect nation, but there can be no doubt that economically there has been a dramatic shift and it is far from say, Soviet Russia, and where capitalism goes, human rights generally follow.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rainerz.../#f507cf83b9d7

thehef 10-08-2019 08:12 PM

The NBA's reaction is typical of the Social Justice Warriorism mentality that is rampant in the U.S.: Screaming and howling - because it is politically advantageous - when it claims to see "injustices" within our borders, but mostly blind to them elsewhere when it is not.

Cobra Mgr 10-08-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyman576 (Post 4545174)
This is a fairly black and white perspective, and not at all based in reality. China is far from a perfect nation, but there can be no doubt that economically there has been a dramatic shift and it is far from say, Soviet Russia, and where capitalism goes, human rights generally follow.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rainerz.../#f507cf83b9d7

I'll just say I don't give a flip about capitalism. I care foremost about freedom of worship. And no society that attempts to restrict a person's reach to God could ever merit cooperation in my eye.

Not going to continue cause this is an NBA thread, not a political one.

rudel.dietrich 10-08-2019 08:51 PM

Once this get moved I will start a real NBA season thread

monkeyman576 10-08-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr (Post 4545212)
I'll just say I don't give a flip about capitalism. I care foremost about freedom of worship. And no society that attempts to restrict a person's reach to God could ever merit cooperation in my eye.

Not going to continue cause this is an NBA thread, not a political one.

Sports and politics often go hand in hand.

Cobra Mgr 10-08-2019 10:03 PM

So who's ready to see ESPN lead off every SportsCenter with a dunk from Zion?

https://media2.giphy.com/media/l0K42...7CNy/giphy.gif

Cobra Mgr 10-08-2019 10:11 PM

Pitiful

knightdreamer2k 10-09-2019 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr (Post 4545169)

Without getting too political some of the same can be said about the US.

Reed 10-09-2019 08:08 AM

A business needs to be consistent, IMO. If they refuse to play in a certain state because they do not have transgender bathrooms etc., then they certainly should not play in China. But they will because they want the money. I heard yesterday that China has more NBA viewers than the United States.
Also saw where China has put several thousand Muslins into “camps” for “indoctrination”.
Do not mistake capitalism for basic freedoms.

monkeyman576 10-09-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed (Post 4545336)
A business needs to be consistent, IMO. If they refuse to play in a certain state because they do not have transgender bathrooms etc., then they certainly should not play in China. But they will because they want the money. I heard yesterday that China has more NBA viewers than the United States.
Also saw where China has put several thousand Muslins into “camps” for “indoctrination”.
Do not mistake capitalism for basic freedoms.

The difference is that the transgender issue is in our own country while China is not. It is more difficult to police the world than ourselves. It's a fine line, but arguably the best way to bring freedoms to other people is to allow western practices like free market sports to be seen worldwide.

Cobra Mgr 10-09-2019 11:32 AM

If I put the number at 20, would you guys take the over or under on Hornets wins?

monkeyman576 10-09-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr (Post 4545403)
If I put the number at 20, would you guys take the over or under on Hornets wins?

Well, the vegas odds are at 35, so I'll take the over.

Cobra Mgr 10-09-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyman576 (Post 4545408)
Well, the vegas odds are at 35, so I'll take the over.

35??
https://media0.giphy.com/media/26FPx...qGQ/source.gif

monkeyman576 10-09-2019 12:45 PM

My bad, 23-30.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...a-predictions/