OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 17 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3906)
-   -   Rain Delays (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=269946)

Bobfather 09-17-2016 08:02 PM

Rain Delays

Whats the point of rain delays. I have not seen them have any effect on game play. I would thing pitchers would get tired earlier, but that doesn't happen. So besides realism and wet playing conditions? Whats the point?

TheMaus2 09-17-2016 08:29 PM

RchW 09-17-2016 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobfather (Post 4091345)
Whats the point of rain delays. I have not seen them have any effect on game play. I would thing pitchers would get tired earlier, but that doesn't happen. So besides realism and wet playing conditions? Whats the point?

I've never seen a rain delay not affect the SP in game. In many cases the current pitcher cannot continue. Do you see something different? Be more specific please?

Number4 09-17-2016 08:50 PM

Pitchers DO get tired earlier!

MrBojangles 09-17-2016 11:30 PM

Quote:

I recently had an extra innings game, the last of a 4 game series, and the other team was down to their last pitcher that wasn't either already used that game or with red meter showing exhausted from previous day. I was doing fine with 2 more RP rested and ready to go.
A rain delay "saved" my opponent before he had to resort to a fielder providing pitching. I was really looking forward to seeing that, but it was ruined by the rain delay.

Number4 09-18-2016 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBojangles (Post 4091439)
I recently had an extra innings game, the last of a 4 game series, and the other team was down to their last pitcher that wasn't either already used that game or with red meter showing exhausted from previous day. I was doing fine with 2 more RP rested and ready to go.
A rain delay "saved" my opponent before he had to resort to a fielder providing pitching. I was really looking forward to seeing that, but it was ruined by the rain delay.

Huh? Once again, rain delays make guys more tired, not less. If the pitcher retired your side, it was despite the delay, not because of it.

They will not become instantly exhausted however. A pitcher that has faced only a few batters might have enough left to face a few more even with the rain delay penalty applied.

MrBojangles 09-18-2016 10:50 AM

My mistake. I was referring to a game that was suspended due to rain and will be completed at a later date.

Le Grande Orange 09-18-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBojangles (Post 4091557)
My mistake. I was referring to a game that was suspended due to rain and will be completed at a later date.

Can you recall what the specific game conditions were when the game was suspended?

Number4 09-18-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange (Post 4091596)
Can you recall what the specific game conditions were when the game was suspended?

I'll answer for him: it was very rainy.

Bunktown Ballers 09-18-2016 04:51 PM

Rain Delays

I've never has a game postponed, but several cancelled. I also find pitchers can return to game and pitch on without effect

Le Grande Orange 09-18-2016 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number4 (Post 4091682)
I'll answer for him: it was very rainy.

Game conditions, not weather conditions. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers (Post 4091709)
I've never has a game postponed, but several cancelled. I also find pitchers can return to game and pitch on without effect

OOTP doesn't do cancelled games. All games postponed by weather are made up (unlike in real life).

Westheim 09-18-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers (Post 4091709)
I also find pitchers can return to game and pitch on without effect

These generalized sledgehammer claims all the time...

No, they can't, at least not in a modern league environment, and if the delay was too long and/or they have already thrown a substantial number of pitches before the delay. Stamina also factors in a bit.

I find that a pitcher that throws 30 pitches or less before a rain delay of 30 minutes or less has little to no adverse effect on how long it takes for him to tire. Contrary, a pitcher with about 60 pitches or more and a rain delay of 60 minutes or more will usually be toast by the time play resumes. Stamina may modify these values, and in between it's a bit uncertain.

MrBojangles 09-18-2016 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange (Post 4091596)

I wish I could, but I don't actually remember the specifics and when I go back on my schedule to look for it, that date is blank.
I'm guessing it won't record the game until it is resumed and completed?

TheMaus2 09-19-2016 08:17 PM

Play on, MrBojangles. Isn't that a cat on TV?

Lukas Berger 09-19-2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Well, I think realism and wet playing conditions are actually the main point;)

That being said, as mentioned by others here, pitchers should/do get tired over the delay.

Le Grande Orange 09-19-2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukasberger (Post 4092172)
Well, I think realism and wet playing conditions are actually the main point;)

That being said, as mentioned by others here, pitchers should/do get tired over the delay.

I would point out that the rules around rain delays have changed over time as well. At one point the Official Baseball Rules stated that after a 30-minute rain delay an umpire could call the game, either ending it at that point or making it a suspended game, depending on the circumstances. Nowadays, hours-long rain delays are not unknown.

Mat 09-20-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange (Post 4091719)
OOTP doesn't do cancelled games. All games postponed by weather are made up (unlike in real life).

pretty sure ive seen one

BigRed75 09-20-2016 09:11 AM

It may have been in an earlier version? This past season, the game wanted me to delay the postseason by two days so that a team well and truly eliminated from the playoffs could make up two meaningless postponed games against fellow non-playoff teams.

I just removed the games from the schedule manually and was on my merry way.

Le Grande Orange 09-20-2016 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat (Post 4092331)
pretty sure ive seen one

From what I understand, due to limitations in the financial engine, teams in OOTP have to have their entire slate of home games played out. Thus, all postponed games are made up at some point, even if by real-life rule they shouldn't be.

I presume all suspended games are likewise completed at some point. (In the real-life minor leagues, sometimes suspended games are not completed at a later date.)

Bobfather 09-20-2016 04:03 PM

From what I have notices there does not seem to be a drop off of my pitchers stamina after a rain delay. Now then I do have a relatively quick hook due to a deep bullpen.