OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   FOF - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3878)
-   -   Draft day football 2016 (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=261281)

aslanking 01-03-2016 01:04 PM

Draft day football 2016

New football game out on the market. Anyone have a review? The basketball sim is highly regarded. Anxious to try a football sim but front office footballs UI is horrendous.

Thoughts

Mickeyb37 01-03-2016 07:10 PM

To me its just Brooks Piggott's other game Pro Football Simulator with a few new screens. I played the demo having played Pro Football Simulator for years and I have decided not to buy the full version. It's not very good as a single player game, lacks depth, loads of buggy issues with stats/ratings.

As for the Basketball game they have announced a new version while leaving the last version full of bugs and without an update in more than a year. Used to be impressed with Wolverine but not any more.

Orioles1966 01-04-2016 12:06 PM

One good thing about the football game is there is a format for 72 teams(but with a 30 game schedule).

They need to work on the single player version. Not much going on watching the play back. Out of town scores or team W-L records or league standings would be a plus.

gbmoore121 01-05-2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickeyb37 (Post 3967783)
As for the Basketball game they have announced a new version while leaving the last version full of bugs and without an update in more than a year. Used to be impressed with Wolverine but not any more.

That's just not true.

Mickeyb37 01-06-2016 12:45 PM

Yeah it's not quite true they just put one out after announcing the new game (Jan 2016) but prior to that there hadn't been one since April 2015 so just a few months short of a year. Just checked the forum to correct my error

Enforcer 01-15-2016 10:37 PM

I can confirm it is the basic same game as his original game. Plus there are still bugs... Terrible game

Ruthian23 01-16-2016 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aslanking (Post 3967673)
New football game out on the market. Anyone have a review? The basketball sim is highly regarded. Anxious to try a football sim but front office footballs UI is horrendous.

Thoughts

I tried it but didn't buy it as I wasn't impressed. Not sure how much of a chance you've given FOF, but if you can get past the dated UI, it's really a great, great game, and after a while you might not find the UI as much of a distraction.

aslanking 01-17-2016 03:18 PM

Front office football looks to be great but the interface is so horrendous I can't see past it. It's almost like a gorgeous princess being held in a far off castle. The only way to get to her is through 5 miles of brambles and thickets, two moats filled with crocodiles and sharks with lasers On their head.

You really really want to get to the princess. But it is not worth the effort.

garion333 01-18-2016 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aslanking (Post 3971752)
Front office football looks to be great but the interface is so horrendous I can't see past it. It's almost like a gorgeous princess being held in a far off castle. The only way to get to her is through 5 miles of brambles and thickets, two moats filled with crocodiles and sharks with lasers On their head.

You really really want to get to the princess. But it is not worth the effort.

Except it is worth the effort, which is what everyone tries to tell everyone!

Fwiw, the new version supposedly will update the interface.

garion333 01-18-2016 07:54 AM

Darn, I don't like Pro Football Simulator, so the fact that Brooks is now working with Wolverine means it's PFS 1.5. Bummer, dude. Was hoping for a NEW football sim. Alas ...

cdcool 01-19-2016 12:46 PM

Don't waste your money as yet like I did, not a good look especially if you already own PFS, which I let sit.

Syd Thrift 01-22-2016 12:22 PM

FOF allows you to call plays in-game but I'm not at all keen on the way it penalizes you across the board for running the same play several times regardless of whether or not the defense is keyed on it, running a play that works poorly with it (a short pass against a deep zone, for example), and so on. That of course is still a stage better than PFC/DDSPF in that you can't even call plays in the latter game(s).

I still feel like from a coaching standpoint the high water mark is Football Pro 98. When a text-based sim comes out with something that equals that game's level of available analysis and in-game strategy (it's faaaaaaar from perfect as you'd expect with a 17 year old game, of course), then I'll gladly flock over to it. Until then, meh.

Ruthian23 01-22-2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garion333 (Post 3971925)

Fwiw, the new version supposedly will update the interface.

Is there any indication of when a new version is coming out?

pstrickert 01-22-2016 07:38 PM

Fall 2016

orwell 01-24-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enforcer (Post 3971389)
I can confirm it is the basic same game as his original game. Plus there are still bugs... Terrible game

I agree. I tried the demo and, to me, it was almost the same as his other game, which I had bought. Also buggy.

orwell 01-24-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syd Thrift (Post 3973385)
I still feel like from a coaching standpoint the high water mark is Football Pro 98. When a text-based sim comes out with something that equals that game's level of available analysis and in-game strategy (it's faaaaaaar from perfect as you'd expect with a 17 year old game, of course), then I'll gladly flock over to it. Until then, meh.

Do you know where you can download this game from? I looked on abandonware sites and saw other vintages, but not '98.

swoboda 01-24-2016 12:44 PM

I have to say both sadly and happily I just completed another season on frontpage sports football 97. I still like the 97 game better because of a couple of features they took out in 98. In my opinion still the best football sim game ever I have to agree. Looking forward to someday feeling the same way about Beyond the Sidelines

james17 01-24-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoboda (Post 3973941)
I have to say both sadly and happily I just completed another season on frontpage sports football 97. I still like the 97 game better because of a couple of features they took out in 98. In my opinion still the best football sim game ever I have to agree. Looking forward to someday feeling the same way about Beyond the Sidelines

I feel exactly the same way. The best football sim ever made was the FPS series. I played the hell out of it. You would think that after almost 20 years somebody would have surpassed it.

Maybe BTS.

Giants44 01-24-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orwell (Post 3973905)
Do you know where you can download this game from? I looked on abandonware sites and saw other vintages, but not '98.

Front Page Sports Football Pro '98 Download (1997 Sports Game)

Giants44 01-24-2016 09:44 PM

I bought DDSF 16 with hopes it would be the game I was looking for. and sadly it was not. No in game play calling is a killer for me - have to have that for me to stay interested at all.

at this point Madden Coach Mode is the best option for the football sim player. Amazingly sadly considering how long the genre has existed and how many games have been announced and yet how little improvements have actually come in last 10 + years.

for what it is worth, I do really like the Wolverine Basketball games and think they have gotten better with every release.