OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3940)
-   -   Dave Kingman Career Redux (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=291974)

tdneu99 08-17-2018 02:23 PM

Dave Kingman Career Redux (522 Career HR and still going...)

Dave Kingman. Sky King. Or simply Kong

One of the most feared power hitters during his 16 years in the league (1971-1986). His homers flew far and even his pop flies sometimes did unusual things (https://www.mlb.com/cut4/dave-kingma...of/c-227649908). Nobody went to the concession stands or the bathroom when a Kong at-bat was approaching, for fear of missing something memorable - a mammoth shot, or a huge whiff.

I've always been enamored with Kong and players like him from a statistical standpoint. He hit 442 HR with 1210 RBI during a career where he only played in 74.8% of his teams' games. He only had one major injury in his career - torn thumb ligaments which derailed what could have been a historic 1976 season (http://mets360.com/?p=8585). His playing time was otherwise affected by concerns about his low average, difficulty in finding a regular position in the field, and occasional conflicts with management and the press.

But what if he had played every day? What if he were judged solely by his power production, like today's players, where the HR is king and low average and lots of strikeouts are largely ignored? What kind of numbers would he have produced in that scenario?

The premise of this historical replay will be to redo his career as an everyday player, with the following set of house rules:

1) Starting the replay in 1972, his second year in the league. He was a July 30 callup for the Giants in 1971, so I will keep that season intact. The Giants had Mays, McCovey and Bonds at that point, so I figure it would be cheating to replay that season.

2) Setup Configuration:
Optimize Players Setting for – Career Play
Base Current Ratings On – Neutralized Stats
Base Potential Rating On – Remaining Peak Years of Career
Base Fielding Ratings On – 3 years
Base Pitcher Stamina Ratings on – 3 years
Import Real L/R Splits – No/Unchecked
Disable Player Development – No/Unchecked
Use player personality ratings – No/Unchecked
Show and use player morale system – No/Unchecked
Show and use team chemistry system – No/Unchecked
Use Real Historical Transactions – Yes/Checked
Automatically Expand League – Yes/Checked
Base Roles / Positions on – Real Life
Automatically Adjust League Strategy – Yes/Checked
Automatically adjust league totals modifiers after each season for historical accuracy – Yes/Checked
Lock league total stats – No/Unchecked
Retire players according to history – No/Unchecked
Automatically Import Historical Rookies – Yes/Checked
Disable the First-year Player Draft – Yes/Checked
Use Complete Coaching System – No/Unchecked
Enable Owner Goals – No/Unchecked
Player Evaluation AI Settings – Default

3) I will play as Commisioner/GM (Legacy Mode) for whatever team he is playing for each year (or parts of a season, as in 1977, when he played for 4 teams). This is to ensure he is in the lineup on a daily basis. He will be a force-start at 1B and in the cleanup spot, unless overriden by the Manager at some other position or lineup spot.

4) The AI creates him as a "durable" player, but I will abide by any injuries during gameplay

5) I will sim games one at a time, and allow the AI coaching staff to make any gameplay decisions. I will check the box to prevent him from being lifted for a pich hitter during games.

6) Retirement - In the offseason prior to the 1987 season, it is now widely accepted that the owners colluded against the players in terms of free agent signings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_...ball_collusion). Kingman was likely a victim of that. While he probably would not have been resigned by the A's, who had Canseco and a young McGwire coming in, Kingman's 35 HR and 94 RBI in 1986 should have warranted a landing spot somewhere, with Seattle the most likely team (his career numbers in the Kingdome were astronomical). So, based on this, if Kong has a decent 1986 season in the replay, I will find an American League team that needs a DH for the 1987 season.

I hope the forum will find this replay interesting. I have actually started this replay a few times, but never finished it for one reason or another. I think committing to posting the results will force me to finish this time around.

I'll post games results in which he homers, including the circumstances, or any other instances where has a particularly good game. I'll also post some analysis at the end of each season comparing his replay results to his actual career for that season.

Tiger Fan 08-17-2018 03:08 PM

Nice concept. Looking forward to following along.

tdneu99 08-17-2018 03:42 PM

It's the early summer of 1972.

In San Fransisco, a young power hitter is tearing the cover off the ball in spring training. Hopes are high that the kid out of USC, a power pitcher converted to a power hitter, can contribute to the team this season, as the aging veterans Mays and McCovey are coming off sub-par years.

tdneu99 08-17-2018 03:47 PM

04/06/1972 - Padres Throttle Giants, 6-1

The 1972 season did not get off to quite the start the San Francisco Giants had hoped for, with an opening day loss to the San Diego Padres at Candlestick Park. The final score was 6-1. Starting Pitcher Fred Norman was named player of the game for San Diego. Chris Speier's solo shot in the 7th is the lone bright spot for the home team.

Kingman goes 0-5 in the cleanup spot, and makes an error starting at 3rd base.

tdneu99 08-17-2018 03:57 PM

04/10/1972 - Reds Crush Giants 11-1

The Giants are off to a disappointing 2-5 start this season. Nothing is working on offense through the first week. Mays is hitting .217 with no homers. Bonds is hitting .188 with no homers. McCovey has left the yeard twice, but otherwise is hitting .190.

And Kingman's line is even worse....063/.091/.063...no homers, no RBI

tdneu99 08-17-2018 03:59 PM

04/10/1972

Roberta Flack's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" tops the Billboard 100 for the first time, and will go on to become the year's top single.

tdneu99 08-17-2018 04:07 PM

04/16/1972 - San Francisco's McDowell Shines, Shuts Out Houston

"That was one of my best outings," said Sam McDowell. "I was worried a lot in the bullpen. My ball wasn't quite right. Luckily, it can be two different worlds -- the bullpen and the game. Once I stepped on the field, it all fell into place."

It was an impressive start for the Giants hurler. He blanked the Astros 3-0 on a strong 4-hitter while ringing up 7 strikeouts and doling out 4 walks.

Kingman finally breaks the seal with a solo shot off LHP Dave A Roberts that scrapes the top of the 335 wall in LF, just beyond the reach of the Astros Bob "Bull" Watson:

TOP OF THE 8TH
Count: 2-2
SOLO HOME RUN (Flyball, 7LD), Distance : 337 ft

Season HR #1 - Career HR #7

tdneu99 08-17-2018 04:16 PM

04/22/1972 - Giants Take Nail-Biter Over Astros

The Giants faced a stiff challenge from Houston pitcher Larry Dierker, but persevered to claim a win at Candlestick Park. The final score was 3-2. Dierker went 9 innings and allowed 2 earned runs. The win brings the Giants to 5-10, a soft start for a team that made the playoffs just last season.

The Giants got a big at-bat from pinch hitter Al Gallagher. For the game, Gallagher went 1-1. In the bottom of the 12th, with the bases loaded, he stroked a run-scoring single. His 1st hit of the season gave San Francisco a 3-2 lead.

"Good pitching, clutch hitting," said San Francisco skipper. "I can't complain."

For his part, Dave pokes another one over the fence, this time off RHP Larry Dierker:

BOTTOM OF THE 7TH
Count: 3-1
SOLO HOME RUN (Flyball, 7D), Distance : 371 ft

Season HR #2 - Career HR # 8

tdneu99 08-17-2018 04:25 PM

04/27/1972 - Kingman Slugs Giants to 6-3 Win

The San Francisco Giants trumped the Philadelphia Phillies, 6-3, at Candlestick Park. San Francisco third baseman Dave Kingman was named player of the game for his performance. He hit 2 home runs, while adding 4 RBI and scoring twice. Juan Marichal got the win, improving to 1-2. He worked 8 innings, giving up 3 runs on 10 hits, while striking out 4 and walking 1. Picking up the save was Jerry Johnson, his 2nd.

San Francisco grabbed the momentum in the bottom of the fifth, when Kingman, who is tied for 5th in the NL in home runs with 4, hit a 2-run home run. His 4th home run of the season put the Giants out in front, 4-2.

"Nice to put this one in the win column," said Kingman.

The win brings the Giants to 7-12, a soft start for a team that made the playoffs just last season.

BOTTOM OF THE 1ST
LHP Steve Carlton pitching
Count: 0-1
2-RUN HOME RUN (Flyball, 7LD), Distance : 359 ft

BOTTOM OF THE 5TH
LHP Steve Carlton pitching
Count: 2-1
2-RUN HOME RUN (Flyball, 9D), Distance : 372 ft

Two taters off a future HOF pitcher...not bad at all.

Season HR #3 and #4 - Career HR #9 and #10

tdneu99 08-17-2018 04:31 PM

04/29/1972 - Expos Get Road Win Over Giants, 7-3

The Montreal Expos bested the San Francisco Giants by a score of 7-3, with right fielder Ron Fairly getting the main credit. On the day, Fairly went 3 for 5 with 3 singles, while adding 5 RBI for the Expos. The Giants fall to 8-13 and continue their lackluster start to the 1972 season.

Ron Fairly had a big at-bat with the bases loaded in the top of the fourth inning, when he hit a 2-run single. The Expos went on to win. Kingman takes RHP Steve Renko deep in the losing effort.

BOTTOM OF THE 8TH
Count: 1-1
2-RUN HOME RUN (Flyball, 7D), Distance : 364 ft

Season HR #5 - Career HR #11

tdneu99 08-17-2018 05:10 PM

Month End Snaphot - April 1972

Not good...Kingman, Mays, McCovey and Bonds are all struggling...

https://by3301files.storage.live.com...312&height=163

https://by3301files.storage.live.com...308&height=160

https://by3301files.storage.live.com...309&height=161

https://by3301files.storage.live.com...312&height=165

tdneu99 08-17-2018 05:28 PM

05/11/1972 - Expos Drop Giants with Late Score

Despite a fine performance by third baseman Dave Kingman, the San Francisco Giants suffered a 6-5 loss to the Montreal Expos.

Kingman was 1 for 1 with a home run and 4 walks, while scoring 2 runs. Montreal reliever Joe Gilbert picked up the win, bumping his record to 1-0. Jerry Johnson was collared with the loss. Mike G Marshall earned save number 5.

Dave's dinger came off RHP John Strohmayer. His 4 BB's were a career high. But unfortunately he is up to 9 errors at 3B in just 31 games. Here is the weird looking box score:

https://by3301files.storage.live.com...481&height=599

TOP OF THE 7TH
Count: 2-2
SOLO HOME RUN (Flyball, 7D), Distance : 363 ft

Season HR #6 - Career HR #12

tdneu99 08-17-2018 05:41 PM

05/12/1972 - Giants Edge Expos, 6-5

Kong homers for the second game in a row, this time a 2-run shot off Expos LHP Balor Moore

TOP OF THE 3RD
Count: 1-2
2-RUN HOME RUN (Flyball, 9D), Distance : 364 ft

Season HR #7, Career HR #13

tdneu99 08-17-2018 06:03 PM

05/17/1972 - Kong Breaks the Mendoza Line for the Year

In the first game of a double-header against the proto-Big Red Machine, Kong goes 2-4 with a double to finally hit the .200 mark for the season.

The two-bagger was only his 2nd of the season. It's mid-May.

In the nightcap, he returns to form with an 0-4, two strikeout performance to move back under the .200 mark.

The team is not doing much better. The Giants are:

14-23 (.378)
Last place in the NL West
2nd to last in Hitting at .207
2nd to last in Pitching at 3.37 (the league ERA right now is 3.02)

tdneu99 08-17-2018 06:14 PM

05/21/1972 - Barr Goes Distance in 8-1 Win over Braves

San Francisco right-hander Jim Barr pitched his team to victory over the Atlanta Braves at Candlestick Park. The final score was 8-1. The Giants' win now puts them at 17-25.

Barr, the winner, is now 3-3. In 9 innings of work, he gave up 1 earned run on 3 hits, while collecting 4 Ks. He essentially shut down the Atlanta offense.

"If we play like this, we can win a lot of games," Barr told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Someone in the press gaggle was heard to blurt out, "Who are you kiddin' buddy? You guys are 8 games under .500 and in last place."

Young Dave Kingman had a standout game, going 2-3 with a 3-run shot off the immortal LHP George H Stone, pride of Rushton, Louisiana.

BOTTOM OF THE 3RD
Count: 2-1
3-RUN HOME RUN (Flyball, 9D), Distance : 365 ft

Season HR #8 - Career HR #14

tdneu99 08-17-2018 06:23 PM

05/21/1972 - Braves take the Nightcap with 5-for-5 Game for Aaron

It was a big day for Hank Aaron and he brought the Atlanta Braves along for the ride.

Aaron led his club to a 7-3 victory over the San Francisco Giants today at Candlestick Park, smoking San Francisco pitching for 5 hits in 5 at-bats. The 38-year-old first baseman later called the victory "sweet."

Hank Aaron hit a three-run home run off Jim Willoughby in the 1st, hit a solo-shot off Jim Willoughby in the 3rd, singled in the 5th, singled in the 7th and hit an RBI single in the 9th.

On the season, Aaron is batting .243 with 9 home runs and 24 RBIs. He has played in 41 games.

Kong got the Giants on the board early, driving a full count pitch from Braves RHP Tom Kelley over the fence in left-center.

BOTTOM OF THE 1ST
Count: 3-2
2-RUN HOME RUN (Flyball, 78XD), Distance : 416 ft

Season HR #9 - Career HR # 15

tdneu99 08-17-2018 06:30 PM

05/22/1972 - Giants Subdue Los Angeles, 4-2

San Francisco Giants starter Ron Bryant pitched a strong game against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium, leading the Giants to a 4-2 win. Bryant picked up the win for San Francisco, going 8 innings. He gave up 2 runs on 6 hits. He now sports a record of 3-2. Jerry Johnson was credited with the save for San Francisco, his 6th of the season.

The Giants got a big at-bat from third baseman Dave Kingman. For the game, Kingman was 1 for 4 with a home run. He drove in 2 runs and scored once. In the top of the first, with a runner on 1st, he stroked the first pitch he saw for a 2-run home run off RHP Don Sutton. His 10th home run of the season gave San Francisco a 2-0 lead.

Sutton was overheard in the locker room after the game muttering something about going into broadcasting when a local writer asked him about Kingman's long homerun.

TOP OF THE 1ST
Count: 0-0
2-RUN HOME RUN (Line Drive, 7LD), Distance : 449 ft

Season HR #10 - Career HR #16

JaBurns 08-17-2018 06:33 PM

Great idea, I will follow along with interest, have fun with Kingman.

tdneu99 08-17-2018 06:35 PM

05/24/1972 - Dodgers Bang Out 6-4 Win Versus San Francisco

Los Angeles and San Francisco duked it out at Dodger Stadium and the Dodgers came out victorious.

Starting pitcher Claude Osteen pitched well enough to help the Los Angeles Dodgers beat the San Francisco Giants by the score of 6-4. In 8.1 innings, Osteen surrendered 10 hits, while striking out 3 and walking 1. He allowed 4 runs.

Dick Dietz aided the Los Angeles cause with a run-scoring walk in the bottom of the first. For the game, the catcher went 1-3 with a walk, while adding 2 RBI.

Kong took veteran LHP Claude Osteen deep early in the game.

TOP OF THE 2ND
Count: 0-0
SOLO HOME RUN (Flyball, 78XD), Distance : 405 ft

Season HR #11 - Career HR #17

tdneu99 08-17-2018 06:54 PM

95/28/1972 - McCovey Benched in San Fransisco; Kingman in at First

Ok so I am going to help the AI version of Manager Charlie Fox with a decision. Even hovering around the .200 mark, Kingman has been fairly productive at the plate, with 11 homers and 29 RBI, both marks that lead the team. McCovey, on the other hand, is having no success at the plate this year at all:

https://by3301files.storage.live.com...097&height=617

So I am going to force start Kong now at 1B, effectively benching McCovey. But it also gets Kong off the hot corner (where he has been dreadful) and gets a better glove in there. Not that Jim Ray Hart is Brooks Robinson, but he has to be better than Dave's .898.

https://by3301files.storage.live.com...873&height=148

I know McCovey is a star, but I think this move is something a real manager might make, based on the replay performance. Do you agree or diagree?