OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3858)
-   -   thanks for ruining for me (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=233802)

tonezone 06-27-2013 12:49 PM

thanks for ruining for me

i am on the 2019 season.

I just won the world series and was in offseason mode.

A trade proposal had occurred so i opened the further discuss screen.

from there the whole screen locked up.

now, i could hit the "x" in the top right corner window.

And then it asked if i was sure i wanted to exit the program.

I thought "simple solution, i will close, it saves like always, and i will restart."

Oh, but funny thing happened, it wouldn't let me hit OK. So no, i could not get the program to close, and the only thing that was not locked was the x in the top right corner. and i tried that again, but, all it does is reinforce the "are you sure you want to exit" message. I CANT HIT OK THOUGH!

So i had to terminate the process. Lost the last third of my season. re-simmed. didn't win it all this time.

So, i am now done with this game.

Thanks for wasting my 40 bucks and thanks for ruining something i found enjoyable.

it wasn't a computer problem...everything else on my computer worked just fine. It was a program problem.

And if i put something on the market, and made people pay 40 damn bucks of their hard-earned money, i would damn sure make sure the program works 100%

Unacceptable. I am done - time to retire.

Maybe ill try baseball mogul - never had this happen when i used them 5 years ago.

RchW 06-27-2013 12:55 PM

You don't save your game for 1/3 of a season and that's OOTP's fault?

:ohmy:

BIG17EASY 06-27-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 3527025)

This. At the very least you should have auto-save each week enabled, if not daily. ESPECIALLY if you're not going to backup your league.

Jabez54 06-27-2013 01:02 PM

You're going to have a huge regret for buying their BM14 ... It still has BUGs ... I had demanded my refund, after close to two weeks bugging them, after a week of owning the Game ... :angry:

tonezone 06-27-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 3527025)

wasn't 1/3. that is incorrect. i was at 118-24.

played the end all today, and this just happened 20 min ago.

BusterKing 06-27-2013 01:05 PM

Baseball Mogul is a great purchase, go for it...

http://www.10-78.com/forums/images/smilies/couch.gif

Jabez54 06-27-2013 01:08 PM

LMAO ... very funny, BK ... :laugh:

David Watts 06-27-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonezone (Post 3527036)
wasn't 1/3. that is incorrect. i was at 118-24.

played the end all today, and this just happened 20 min ago.

Just curious, when it locked up, did you try hitting Esc?

tonezone 06-27-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 3527048)
Just curious, when it locked up, did you try hitting Esc?

yes. i tried everything possible because i didnt want to terminate it in fear of losing everything. even tried alt + f4. no luck at all.

just bizarre. just the game itself locked...but i dont even know if you can say it locked because the minimize, and "x" button worked.

So .. it's a bug .. and unacceptable for people who spend 40 bucks on this. sorry all, defend it as much as you want. not how business works.

Déjà Bru 06-27-2013 01:18 PM

Ok then. Please leave now.

Bluenoser 06-27-2013 01:18 PM

He's partially right though - it wasn't a computer problem.

It was a user problem.

JMDurron 06-27-2013 01:23 PM

We like to call those "user education issues" around here.

I mean, the poster is right in that the application locking up is a problem that is not his fault. It just doesn't make failing to save the game IMMEDIATELY AFTER WINNING THE WORLD SERIES any less...of a user education issue. I think I save the thing compulsively twice and back it up right after that game.

kingcharlesxii 06-27-2013 01:29 PM

It's unfortunate you had a lockup (something that is pretty rare from what I've seen) but I think you'll be searching a long time for a game that never has one. As others have said, just save and backup regularly and if that very rare lockup happens, you don't lose much.

I'd also make sure you're running the latest patch of 14, I believe that issue has been fixed in the latest patches (I only got it once in the beta release version, never since then). If it is still showing up and you can duplicate it, I'm sure OOTP would appreciate a bug report so that other people won't run into the same issue in the future.

SandMan 06-27-2013 01:50 PM

If you were in the off season how did you get a record of 118-24. Something smells a little fishy with your post.

toxicavenger74 06-27-2013 02:32 PM

Should any computer program lock up? No. But they do. I've lost work before working on Excel, doesn't mean that I quit using excel, it means that I save. Seriously self admitted you had a lot of fun with this game, why make another bad decision and stop playing it. Best thing to do is start over where you can and take this as a learning experience.

rpriske 06-27-2013 02:34 PM

I lost a few months once. Since then I back-up every 10 days.

If I get in the playoffs... it will be every day.

The Wolf 06-27-2013 02:45 PM

No sympathy. My entire laptop froze up last week and is being repaired. The hard drive may be fried. How much of my OOTP leagues did I lose? Two days worth, because every week I backup to a USB stick.

You don't back up then it's all on you.

DCG12 06-27-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonezone (Post 3527036)
A trade proposal had occurred so i opened the further discuss screen.
i was at 118-24.

An .831 winning pct? No wonder the computer froze up. It was stopping him from anymore ripoff trades

MizzouRah 06-27-2013 03:13 PM

Yeah.. even Windows locks up, it's software after all and there is no way to test every single hardware setup.

Backup and backup often, especially if you just won the WS.

Cool off and come back to the game.. make that run for the pennant in 2019!

tonezone 06-27-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCG12 (Post 3527201)
An .831 winning pct? No wonder the computer froze up. It was stopping him from anymore ripoff trades

sorry dude, your wrong. called building a great farm system and putting a lot into it. never once forced a trade. <snip>