OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Perfect Team (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3957)
-   -   Playing Tournaments in Perfect Team (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=308123)

Bunktown Ballers 11-12-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Jardine (Post 4557691)
There is no cost to enter tournaments.

No, tournaments will not have a gambling element associated with them

Can you leave a tourney after you jined and league has not begun. I'm 1 in 64 to join so far

comedian2019 11-12-2019 11:34 AM

Suggestion

When you enter a tournament and import your players in, can their strategies also be imported? Like base running, stealing, etc. I do a lot of tweaking during PT to the hitters.

I actually do not do much tweaking to the pitchers, but if I have Brock or Rickey I want them to be aggressive on the base paths.

I am surprised that that rating is not automatically raised for the speedsters or for the higher rated power hitters DO NOT PH!

Just a though.

Orcin 11-12-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comedian2019 (Post 4559368)
When you enter a tournament and import your players in, can their strategies also be imported? Like base running, stealing, etc.

They are.

bailey 11-13-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers (Post 4559348)
Can you leave a tourney after you jined and league has not begun. I'm 1 in 64 to join so far

You can always withdraw. Open the box for the description of it and the withdraw button is in the lower left corner.

Lemandria 11-14-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westheim (Post 4559227)
You can't. They are created automatically, server-side.

Can we perhaps balance more toward the smaller tournaments, then?

The big 128-team jobs seem to expire without ever filling up.

They just don't seem to be worth playing, in risk [6 days until start time !!?wtf?!!?]-reward [1st round washout] terms.

Additionally, their graphics load time every round are omg just shoot me.

elutz31 11-15-2019 09:17 PM

What does modified double elimination mean?

I joined a q-diamond dblel-t32-id20. Eliminated in the QF with 1 loss. Doesn't seem logical to call it a double elimination. This is essentially a RR tournament with single elimination without RR. 3 rounds of double elimination then single elimination. Why not call it double elimination for 3 rounds then single elimination. If this is intended it should be worded differently or a link to a tournament rules page.

Matt Arnold 11-16-2019 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elutz31 (Post 4560815)
What does modified double elimination mean?

I joined a q-diamond dblel-t32-id20. Eliminated in the QF with 1 loss. Doesn't seem logical to call it a double elimination. This is essentially a RR tournament with single elimination without RR. 3 rounds of double elimination then single elimination. Why not call it double elimination for 3 rounds then single elimination. If this is intended it should be worded differently or a link to a tournament rules page.

It's 2 rounds of double-elimination, then drops into a regular elimination bracket. Same way it's handled in the regular game.

Dogberry99 11-16-2019 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Arnold (Post 4560851)
It's 2 rounds of double-elimination, then drops into a regular elimination bracket. Same way it's handled in the regular game.

Then this is not a double elimination tournament. I'm not certain what this would be called, but double elimination should mean double elimination, otherwise it is something else. The tournament descriptions need to be reworked as what is currently displayed is EXTREMELY unclear and confusing.

As a fan of college baseball, I was hoping for something that looked more like the NCAA playoffs.

EDIT: Sorry, it appears I was editing this to clarify my thoughts better as a reply was being written

Matt Arnold 11-16-2019 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogberry99 (Post 4560906)
Then this is not a double elimination tournament. I'm not certain what this would be called, but double elimination should mean double elimination, otherwise it is something else.

As a fan of college baseball, I was hoping for something that looked more like that...

Yeah, it's a modified double elimination.

Dogberry99 11-16-2019 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Arnold (Post 4560909)
Yeah, it's a modified double elimination.

Double elimination implies that two losses are required to be eliminated. This needs to be explained better to allow players to set appropriate expectations and not be frustrated when the outcome does not match their expectations and we get bounced after a single loss.

daves 11-16-2019 08:33 AM

Is there a way to see all tournaments you participated in rather than 6 on the main page?

stl jason 11-16-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daves (Post 4560924)
Is there a way to see all tournaments you participated in rather than 6 on the main page?

click the 'your tournaments' tab.... it will show all the tourneys you signed up for...

TheNamelessPoet 11-18-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogberry99 (Post 4560906)
Then this is not a double elimination tournament. I'm not certain what this would be called, but double elimination should mean double elimination, otherwise it is something else. The tournament descriptions need to be reworked as what is currently displayed is EXTREMELY unclear and confusing.

As a fan of college baseball, I was hoping for something that looked more like the NCAA playoffs.

EDIT: Sorry, it appears I was editing this to clarify my thoughts better as a reply was being written

we always call it just Modified Double elimination. you are not guaranteed 2 loses but you are guaranteed 2 matches

* edit
just realized it was already explained sorry

mondokoko 11-18-2019 02:14 PM

Great! This is reassuring.

Dogberry99 11-18-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet (Post 4561811)
we always call it just Modified Double elimination. you are not guaranteed 2 loses but you are guaranteed 2 matches

* edit
just realized it was already explained sorry

Thank you all for the explanations. However, to help all players manage expectations appropriately, please explain this in game. It is great that we are consistent with the terminology, but this "we" excludes many of us who have been ignorant.

TheNamelessPoet 11-18-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogberry99 (Post 4561921)
Thank you all for the explanations. However, to help all players manage expectations appropriately, please explain this in game. It is great that we are consistent with the terminology, but this "we" excludes many of us who have been ignorant.

agreed. it's easy to forget (myself anyway) that just because I know due to my own relative unique situation, that others dont know what was meant :-)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Matt Arnold 11-19-2019 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogberry99 (Post 4561921)

Yeah, we've added a little extra to the detailed tournament description in-game with the latest update.

Dogberry99 11-19-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Arnold (Post 4562030)
Yeah, we've added a little extra to the detailed tournament description in-game with the latest update.

Awesome! Thank you! :)

And to clarify (especially since it was mentioned that user response is causing a move away from this setting), there is nothing inherently wrong with Modified Double Elimination. It was simply that I was expecting something very different from what I got. Had my expectations been more aligned with this tournament, I would have had no issues with any of this whatsoever. Sorry if I came across as too critical of either tournaments or of Modified Double Elimination.

Westheim 11-19-2019 01:07 PM

This above. In no way was there an explanation for the "modified" part, so it invariably ended up throwing people (me included) well off. That is the main problem here.

skep 11-19-2019 03:26 PM

A few points of feedback.

- I'm really enjoying this.

- There should be daily/weekly tournaments for bronze.

- Focus should be on larger daily/weekly/monthly tournaments.

- If queues are filling up really quickly, you should make the # of players larger. The small bronze queues are filling up too quickly, make those 8s into 16s and those 16s into 32s.

- There should be a way to blank slate your team to start from scratch. I've currently got a mess of default teams that aren't what I want and the tournaments go off before I can fix the team!

- On that note, there should be a way to create a team outside of the pressure of a queue or scheduled start. Let us select Tournament > Bronze or lower and then have an environment similar to the tournament roster to create our team and save to file.

- Cap tournaments should be the "premiere" tournaments because the range of strategy is so wide.

The big Sunday Bronze tournament with 128 players may not have paid out prizes. I got 3rd/4th and never got my gold packs.

All in all I think you've done a pretty fantastic job for the first iteration of this. Cheers.