OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 19 - New to the Game? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3909)
-   -   What's more important LH/RH when matching pitchers or vsLHP/vsRHP stats? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=298220)

redmoss2 01-31-2019 01:31 PM

What's more important LH/RH when matching pitchers or vsLHP/vsRHP stats?

Say you have a LH batsman you want to put up against a RHP. But you have a RH batsman in the same position who has better vsRHP stats. What's more important, and is there a threshold?

Given all things equal, it makes sense you want to do a LH / RHP matchup, but if their actuall versus ratings are better on a RH, at what point do they need to be better to go with the RH instead of the LH?

Rain King 01-31-2019 01:48 PM

It is going to be a case-by-case basis because the pitcher also has ratings that are particular to the hitter side they are facing.

NoOne 01-31-2019 02:40 PM

trust the ratings, if you blieve they are accurate, over the results.

like rain king said, all of this is relative to the 2 players invovled in the PA and situational context as far as when to play matchups based on handedness (lol did i make up a word?). instead of looking at the overall ratings, you are looking at the split ratings relevant to the context. it's the same as you probably already do, but with one more layer to consider.

broader consideration to keep in mind:
vsL for batter/pitcher is inevitably a small sample... it is wildly volatile. so, even when you play the odds, it can look like you made a catastrophically wrong choice, but you did not in reality. this is the case where you trust the ratings, because what you see can easily confuse you, if relying on a short-sighted naked eye.

------more specific, but with my opinions/preferences that can be stripped, converted, whatever.

now, when it comes to splitting hairs, do as you prefer. it will make you feel better. e.g. i prefer my starters to remain in games. i also have very poor offensive bench players, so it's rarely a choice for me with batters. i also avoid platoon situations like the plague. its a weakness that can be exploited by a circus team that isn't good otherwise... not my cup of tea.

the difference in ability relative to vsR or vsL has to be better... then relative to however you do things or feel about htem etc... by better, this means considering both sides of the equation invovled -- pitcher and batter. it only takes one with a massive split to make it worthwhile.. both, doubly so.

typically, this will only happen with a young pup stud somehow stalling on your bench instead of playing, or a purposeful platoon situtation exists on your team. this would mean a L or R is on bench with ability to start vs a particular hand, but too weak otherwise exists on your bench. there's room for one of these situations on a 4 man bench, but 2 would be rough in most cases.

pitching is a bit different. i'm more likely to play matchups late in a game and with a non-fatigued, or rather not even approaching tired, bullpen. if i were in a non-dh league, i'd probably do this even more relative to minimizing a pitcher batting when possible/rational.

same way you'd evaluate any other pitcher v batter... just focus on the split values and not the overall.

BaseballGoodToMe 02-02-2019 11:15 PM

For me I generally have 1 pinch hitter and 1 "pinch hittee" on my team, good for 15-30 PAs a year, not counting platoon positions and opposite hand reliever situations. This is with an expansion team that hasn't gotten good yet, but at any rate it's usually my most extreme split starter, and best bench bat. Playing percentages all the time just leads to running through your bench like crazy.