OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   iOOTP - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3834)
-   -   iOOTP FAQ (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=207022)

Markus Heinsohn 03-29-2011 10:59 AM

iOOTP FAQ

We have created a FAQ to answer the most common questions you may have. Feel free to post questions in this thread, we'll then update the FAQ :)

Q: Which iOS devices are compatible with iOOTP 2012?
A: Right now iOOTP is optimized for any device with at least 256 MB RAM, which is the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4(S), iPod Touch 3rd and 4th generation, the iPad, iPad 2 and iPad 3. Also, iOS version 4.0 or greater is required!

Q: Is iOOTP a 'universal' app for the iPad?
A: Yes, it will run natively in HD on your iPad and the best thing is: you don't have to buy the game twice, just install it on any device you own.

Q: Can I play/sync my OOTP 11/12 league with iOOTP?
A: No. OOTP 13 leagues are so big and need so much memory that it would take a device with at least 1 GB of RAM, so we'll have to wait for the iPhone 6 or 7 I guess.

Q: Does iOOTP feature minor leagues?
A: No, it only runs one single league, the minor leagues are represented as a sub-category of the team roster, and there are no minor league games simulated and hence no minor league stats. Again, this would result in leagues becoming too big for current iOS devices to handle.

Q: So, is iOOTP really based on the OOTP engine?
A: Yes, it shares 99% of the code base of OOTP 13. That means, it has the same realistic game engine, smart AI and excellent player development. However, due to (surprise) memory limitations there are only basic stats as well as L/R splits tracked, but no advanced splits or double splits.

Q: Is iOOTP fun?
A: Hell yes! It is very easy to navigate and you can enjoy the OOTP experience whereever you take your iOS device.

Q: Can I manage games or is it simulating only?
A: You can manage games in iOOTP just like in OOTP, and quick-simming is also supported of course. With the 2012 version we even added Pitch by Pitch mode to the game!

Q: Does iOOTP support career play?
A: Of course! You can draft players, sign free agents, make trades, negotiate contract extensions, watch youngsters develop, veterans retire and so on. There is no season limit other than the memory of your device.

Q: What about online play?
A: No, this is not an option.

Q: Can I save an iOOTP game in the middle while playing it out?
A: Yes, when you quit the application while playing out a game, you can later resume it.

Q: What league types are supported?
A: We have the 2012 Major Leagues included (the entire 40-man rosters plus the top prospects of each team), four fictional league setups (8, 16 or 30 Teams), and three historical replay leagues (1924, 1969, 1995) with the option to purchase further historical seasons for $0.99 each.

Q: Will iOOTP be available for Android?
A: Not immediately. We will, however, possibly look into porting it to Android in the future.

CGPanama 03-29-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn (Post 3110980)

Q: Is iOOTP a 'universal' app for the iPad?
A: No, on the iPad the game looks/runs just as if run on an iPhone/iPod. However, a special iPad version will be released at a later date.

Could you clarify.... will the iOOTP game be upgraded to Universal at a later date, or will a second purchase be required for a separate "HD" app. If the latter is the case, what additional features are planned.

I would be mostly playing this on an iPad, and would rather not purchase the same game twice.

Thanks. I am excited to see the move it iOS to supplement my full game play. My compliments on the effort.

Craig

hit_or_miss54680 03-29-2011 04:56 PM

I would like to know this as well. I only own an iPad.

JayWigley 03-29-2011 05:07 PM

Historical season question

If I buy a season like 1972, can I play that one out and move on to 1973 without buying 1973, or am I going to have to pay 99 cents for each future season?

rudel.dietrich 03-29-2011 05:15 PM

Very excited about this. I had fully expected a $9.99 price

Markus a question. Is this game going to be available on the European app store as well? On the same day as the North American market?

SATW 03-29-2011 06:17 PM

Will the "minor leagues" generate stats for the players although there are no real games being played?

Nighthawk42 03-29-2011 06:30 PM

Thirded on the question of Universal vs. Additional Purchase for an eventual iPad version. If upgraded to universal, I'm willing to purchase on day 1. If not, I will wait, and yes, I'm willing to spend more money on an iPad version than the iPhone version.

Sebastian Palkowski 03-29-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayWigley (Post 3111146)
If I buy a season like 1972, can I play that one out and move on to 1973 without buying 1973, or am I going to have to pay 99 cents for each future season?

You can move on to the next season with fictional roockies. So you can continue without to purchase every season.

Sebastian Palkowski 03-29-2011 06:40 PM

For the Universal App: I will talk to Markus tomorrow morning to get an answere to you as soon as possible.

The same for the question in which stores we launch iOOTP.

Sebastian Palkowski 03-29-2011 07:21 PM

Ok, last update for tonight. :)

The plan is to release iOOTP 2011, then work on an HD version with optimized screens for the iPad and update iOOTP 2011 to an universal app. iOOTP 2012 will be universal from the beginning.

ms2002 03-30-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SATW (Post 3111178)
Will the "minor leagues" generate stats for the players although there are no real games being played?

I, too, want to know the answer to this. If it's not implemented now, I would strongly recommend this for release.

I play stats-only and it'd be tough to know when a rookie is ready if there are no stats. Just add some simple simulated stats based on their abilities and it will make everyone happy.

Sebastian Palkowski 03-30-2011 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich (Post 3111152)
Markus a question. Is this game going to be available on the European app store as well? On the same day as the North American market?

We aim for a worldwide release all on the same day.

Markus Heinsohn 03-30-2011 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms2002 (Post 3111376)
I, too, want to know the answer to this. If it's not implemented now, I would strongly recommend this for release.

I play stats-only and it'd be tough to know when a rookie is ready if there are no stats. Just add some simple simulated stats based on their abilities and it will make everyone happy.

No minor league stats. We simply don't have enough memory on the current devices for such a feature.

CGPanama 03-30-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palli (Post 3111210)
Ok, last update for tonight. :)

The plan is to release iOOTP 2011, then work on an HD version with optimized screens for the iPad and update iOOTP 2011 to an universal app. iOOTP 2012 will be universal from the beginning.

Thanks for the update.

My thought would be that a better model would be to release one version of iOOTP and do in-app purchases for each subsequent season. My concern is that I am going to be torn between sticking with "iOOTP 2011" which I might have bought in-app updates for certain seasons (maybe '50 , '80 and '08, because I am a Phillies fan) or updating to new features in "iOOTP 2012" and then lose and have to repurchase seasons. I'd rather pay $5 for iOOTP then another $5 for 2012 season (and each subsequent) than pay $5 twice for two different apps.

Here's to hoping that this is released before I travel abroad in mid/late April - this would be an invaluable diversion on long flights.

Be seeing you,

Craig

Slappy 03-30-2011 11:58 AM

Will the iOOTP historical replay seasons have the transaction / lineup data slated for PC-OOTP 12? That would be awesome for replayers, considering any continuation is all fictional.

Sebastian Palkowski 03-30-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slappy (Post 3111533)
Will the iOOTP historical replay seasons have the transaction / lineup data slated for PC-OOTP 12? That would be awesome for replayers, considering any continuation is all fictional.

Sorry, this will not be part of iOOTP. Again, memory issues are the problem.

rudel.dietrich 03-30-2011 03:46 PM

When you say no advanced stats, does this mean no Vorp or OPS+ ?

LeeDorm8185 03-30-2011 04:05 PM

Markus, how much storage space would you expect iOOTP to take up after installed? I have a 32gb iPhone 4 but it only has a couple gigs of free space left.

ms2002 03-31-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn (Post 3111430)
No minor league stats. We simply don't have enough memory on the current devices for such a feature.

IMO, this is only thing about iOOTP that could pose a problem. I think it's difficult to run a long-term fictional league if you can't figure out how a prospect is performing and/or when they are ready.

The minor league stats could be as simple as their actual ability (stats seen in the editor) adjusted to league difficulty. It could be just like the draft candidates have stats simulated for them. Please find a way, if possible.

RchW 03-31-2011 01:35 AM

So I have an iphone 4 and my wife has an ipad. I fully expect to buy 2 games one for each device (she has a new car so I can use her iPad when we drive around:))

I don't understand this universal app idea and the implications about buying/not buying an upgrade later.

Do I understand correctly that the iPad would be a free upgrade but the iPhone would not?

:confused: