OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 17 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3906)
-   -   OOTP 18 Discussion: The Interface (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=270190)

Markus Heinsohn 09-30-2016 08:06 AM

OOTP 18 Discussion: The Interface

Hey folks,

it's this time of the year again. Development on OOTP 18 has started already, and this thread is intended to get us an overview about what kind of changes to the interface you would like to see in OOTP 18. For this, I'd like to ask a few questions:

1) Did you like the OOTP 17 color scheme and use of team colors. If not, what could be improved?
2) How about the interface layout, is the upper area (info & navigation) easy to use and understand?
3) What interface quirks would you like to see fixed / improved?
4) Any feature ideas that relate to the interface which you'd like to see implemented (i.e. more hotkey support)?
5) Which skin did you use in OOTP 17? Would you like to see an alteration to our usual default / dark / classic skin themes?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! :)

Markus

rjl518 09-30-2016 10:13 AM

1. Yes...I did like the different team skins.
2. I had no problem with the upper layout of the interface, although I really didn't use it much.
3. I would like to be able the entire player strategy by clicking a clear strategy button instead of having to set all players back to none manually.
4. See #3 above.
5. I prefer the dark skin mostly. The only problem with the dark skin though is that team logos, unless they have an outline on them, which me and some other modders added to them, don't show very clearly.

I look forward to another great OOTP come March next year.

David Watts 09-30-2016 10:39 AM

The Spinning Cursor. Is there any chance it can go away? I actually love the appearance of 17, but the in game play is so choppy compared to previous versions. I blame all of this on the spinning cursor. I play fast using short play by play/instant and I think that's why I notice it so much. That and the fact that years of play without the spin, has me spoiled.

I know everyone is sick of hearing about this, but at least this time it's in direct response to a interface question:o

PSUColonel 09-30-2016 10:57 AM

Sticky column sorting along with not having to go through a players, scouting page, then profile then contract when hitting the "back" button. When you hit the "back" button, you should exit a players profile entirely, and not have to backtrack through all the profile tabs you viewed before hand.

MizzouRah 09-30-2016 11:17 AM

1) Did you like the OOTP 17 color scheme and use of team colors. If not, what could be improved?
Yes - would like to see better team backgrounds.. like having them change to the logos being used, I've changed mine and it would be neat to have the team background change as well. Not a biggie though.

2) How about the interface layout, is the upper area (info & navigation) easy to use and understand?
Yes

3) What interface quirks would you like to see fixed / improved?
Sticky sorting, come on.. it's about time this gets implemented. Each screen should remember what sorting I used.

4) Any feature ideas that relate to the interface which you'd like to see implemented (i.e. more hotkey support)?
I would like tabbed team systems. Your MLB team first, then tabs for all your minor teams. Might be a tough one though. ;) Would be much faster to look at your teams though!

5) Which skin did you use in OOTP 17? Would you like to see an alteration to our usual default / dark / classic skin themes?
Normal OOTP 17 default. Would like to see more, more is better!

David Watts 09-30-2016 11:22 AM

Since you were able to do the asterisks for relief pitchers entering the game. How about asterisks for pinch hitters?

PSUColonel 09-30-2016 11:24 AM

One little pet peace of mine...I don't like where team logos are displayed in the player profile page...especially minor league logos...I like it better last year

David Watts 09-30-2016 11:30 AM

How about the option in game to change the background color and the color of the play by play. Example the dark skin makes use of a black play by play background with white letters. I love this. However, I like the other 2 skins better than the dark, but they use a white background with black letters. This can sometimes have a strobe light effect on the eyes if you get playing fast.

Did a bad thing earlier this year and purchased a competitor's game(I'm sorry) but one of the cool things about it was the ability to customize the play by play background and lettering. In fact, it even had the option to use team colors.

I know there are ways as a user we can edit something like this, but I don't like messing with things like that. All I end up doing is breaking things.

mars001 09-30-2016 11:47 AM

I use a Surface Pro 3 to play and my two scenarios are keyboard-centric and touch-centric.

Currently the game works pretty well playing with keyboard, but some situations like whether or not to advance a runner, require me to reach for the mouse instead of "Y" or "N" hotkeys. Other than that, no real complaints.

For touch screen it would be great if the command buttons on the in-game screen could be made larger and perhaps placed along the side edge (right side for righties, left side for lefties). I realize the game is much too intricate for full touch optimization, but I feel if the basic command buttons were enhanced it would go a long way.

Hkim 09-30-2016 11:58 AM

The ability to easily pick and choose which stats appear on the default profile page of a player (the first thing you see when you click his name). I'm sure some gamers prefer some stats over others. This saves some time clicking around.

Spritze 09-30-2016 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 4096450)
I would like tabbed team systems. Your MLB team first, then tabs for all your minor teams. Might be a tough one though. ;) Would be much faster to look at your teams though!

With historical minors there are often way more minor teams in an organization than fit on the page. This could fix that challenge.

Other than that I find the items I wish to use easily available.

PSUColonel 09-30-2016 12:18 PM

A preview and review screen for all teams within your organization. Preview should have pitching matchups, weather forecast, ballpark, etc... the review would have scores, box scores etc...

This is an easy way to look at what all teams within your organization are doing on a daily basis.

Markus Heinsohn 09-30-2016 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4096440)
The Spinning Cursor. Is there any chance it can go away? I actually love the appearance of 17, but the in game play is so choppy compared to previous versions. I blame all of this on the spinning cursor. I play fast using short play by play/instant and I think that's why I notice it so much. That and the fact that years of play without the spin, has me spoiled.

I know everyone is sick of hearing about this, but at least this time it's in direct response to a interface question:o

Spinning cursor? No, that is from the OS, we don't do this... it indicates your system is busy. Maybe install more RAM or a faster HD.

Markus Heinsohn 09-30-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 4096444)
Sticky column sorting along with not having to go through a players, scouting page, then profile then contract when hitting the "back" button. When you hit the "back" button, you should exit a players profile entirely, and not have to backtrack through all the profile tabs you viewed before hand.

You can accomplish this already by right-clicking your mouse while in the player screen.

Sweed 09-30-2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 4096444)

Can't you do this now with a simple right click? Unless I'm misunderstanding what page you want to back out this is what I do.

David Watts 09-30-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn (Post 4096486)
Spinning cursor? No, that is from the OS, we don't do this... it indicates your system is busy. Maybe install more RAM or a faster HD.

So 17 is that much more demanding of a computer than 16? What was added that causes this?

PSUColonel 09-30-2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn (Post 4096487)
You can accomplish this already by right-clicking your mouse while in the player screen.

Not sure if you can on mac...I'll have to see...using a MacBook Pro...with a trackpad

Reed 09-30-2016 01:27 PM

On the standings/leadership page, it would be nice if we could choose which leadership categories would be displayed.
Also, when players pop up comes up, instead of current, last year and 2 year ago stats; how about current, last year and CAREER stats.
Otherwise, I'm like the skins and layout.

RonCo 09-30-2016 02:00 PM

Player Profile Layout:

At the end of the day, most things in the Ratings and the Contract & Status sections need to be fit into the Profile. It really can be done. There is so much redundant information in them, really. Having them separate drived me no end of extra clicking.

1) Find a nifty way to display all defensive ratings at the same time. It's doable, and it would save me tons of clicks at certain times. (
2) Find a way to put ratings splits on the page by all the basic ratings. Again, this would save me lots of clicks.
3) I'll never really understand why the Team/(Throws/Bats)/Age/Ht/Wt/Salary line is duplicated in the Personal Details section. If you leave is on the top runner, take it out of the PD area, and give us more contract details...again, saving clicks. Most, if not all, contract data would fit here fine.
4) In PD, move overall morale down to, well, morale.

RonCo 09-30-2016 02:07 PM

Personal Views:

1) Please, please, please, let us export and import views from earlier versions. This annoys me every new version.
2) Please use and make the same views available everywhere.
3) Please allow us to sort views in whatever order we want them
4) Please make Team/Division/League sortable in league-wide "sortable" stats views.