OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 19 - New to the Game? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3909)
-   -   "Acquire a Power Hitter" (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=285432)

Juggernt 02-22-2018 04:22 PM

"Acquire a Power Hitter"

The owner wants me to acquire a power hitter. If anyone knows what the minimum threshold for that is, please let me know. I get that 70+ probably fits the bill, but if I have room to wiggle and get a player who isn't just another moose, I'd probably head that direction.

I understand that he can't fire me and it doesn't really matter in the long run if I do or don't, but it seems like the right call to keep the peace if it doesn't hurt the team.

The Game 02-22-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggernt (Post 4282515)
The owner wants me to acquire a power hitter. If anyone knows what the minimum threshold for that is, please let me know. I get that 70+ probably fits the bill, but if I have room to wiggle and get a player who isn't just another moose, I'd probably head that direction.

I understand that he can't fire me and it doesn't really matter in the long run if I do or don't, but it seems like the right call to keep the peace if it doesn't hurt the team.

Whats the top 10% of HR in your league? An MVP type 40 HR should suffice. I'm just guessing though. see if Lukas or someone weighs in.

Juggernt 02-22-2018 05:16 PM

We're going into 1965. There are 25 players with power 70+; 8 of them have 80+. In 1964, there were six players who hit more than 40 HR; two of them hit 50+.

Brad K 02-22-2018 08:05 PM

What kind of ratings and stats does your best power guy have?

Juggernt 02-22-2018 10:33 PM

Killebrew Con 50 Pow 86 Eye 78
F Robinson Con 91 Pow 77 Eye 51
Howard Con 36 Pow 71 Eye 42
Petrocelli Con 71 Pow 71 Eye 50

NoOne 02-23-2018 11:34 AM

it might be based on results? (hr total the year(s) you get them or maybe based on previous years total?)

if there's any inconsistencies related to ratings not making the owner happy, this would be a good thing to look into.

map these out as you can.. i don't think there's a good reference post anywhere with specifics. more than one metric can be used... a little common sense and you can know exactly what is needed.

on top of that, you can ignore demands from the owner and avoid being fired. You can build up a cachet of protection through winning and being selcetive of what demands you follow through. You *can* be fired, but it won't happen the first time you don't follow through on a demand. if you are winning a ton every year, that goes a long ways too.

Juggernt 02-23-2018 05:59 PM

I have another year to accomplish it. We'll see what I manage to do in the off-season. The problem is that I'm not sure I have anyone for trade bait that isn't one of my superstars. I'm certainly not getting rid of the .336/48/150 F. Robinson or .270/56/148 Killebrew, who are 30 and 29 respectively. We hit 226 HR during the year and won 112 games. I think the owner will be okay.

Brad K 02-23-2018 06:45 PM

Your boss is a nut. But he won't fire you unless his name is George Steinbrenner.

Juggernt 02-23-2018 08:10 PM

We traded Frank Howard and our 5th starter (since we're overflowing with pitching talent) for 27-year-old Willie McCovey (who also meets his condition of "upgrade at LF"). Since McCovey's power is 85, he seems happy.

NoOne 02-24-2018 12:25 AM

i was going to suggest the oldest player... assuming ~oldish.

like others said, i wouldn't do anything to the detriment of my long-term success and assume that i'll hit enough owner goals along the way while playoff appearances and WS provide enough owner happiness.

also point out that i don't play with owner goals, lol. however, it'd be wise to poke at the boundaries of what you can get away with... maybe in a throwaway league you just zoome to next year's goals and avoid them etc with a winning team (comissioner mode is your friend in these endeavors for the sake of time). or worst case scenario with a losing team -- whatever your valley is relative to # of wins + no owner goals. owner patience at "5" or something.

Brad K 02-24-2018 11:49 AM

It might be fun to get fired.

Juggernt 02-25-2018 01:26 AM

McCovey hit .277/42/108, so I'm pretty sure the owner will be happy with his production. The LF I traded away, Frank Howard, hit .212/10/26 and lost his job. The 5th starter that I traded with him went 18-9/2.18 and led the NL with 287 Ks, so I'd call it a wash.

NoOne 02-25-2018 10:41 AM

there's a thread sometime between now and when owner goals were introduced that has a similar power request. i think he/she had a 30's hr guy andit didn't cut it? could have been modified since too.

either way, may be worth a search. there may hve been more follow-up info. i don't have a habit of keeping up on threads i've posted to for very long. (some glaring exceptions of course)

Juggernt 02-25-2018 12:04 PM

Yeah, I don't know what he wanted, but when we reviewed the goals, he said that one passed, but barely. If a 40 HR guy, 2nd in the bigs is only barely, I wonder what he wants. His personality type is "meddling," which I'm sure is going to eventually get annoying. I suppose we'll just keep winning championships and tell him to STFU.

NoOne 02-25-2018 04:12 PM

yeah, ws may be enough.. i'm sure there will be enough goals you can accidentally run into with a successful team.

italyprof 03-25-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggernt (Post 4283092)
We traded Frank Howard and our 5th starter (since we're overflowing with pitching talent) for 27-year-old Willie McCovey (who also meets his condition of "upgrade at LF"). Since McCovey's power is 85, he seems happy.

Good trade. Both good hitters but McCocey was vetter.

Airdrop01 03-31-2018 12:10 AM

This right here is why I generally turn off owner goals. They’re ridiculous.

Fenixdown 01-26-2019 01:37 PM

I had this same goal for my '89 Rangers season. I looked at what hitters in the league had a power rating of 70+ (which wasn't a very long list). I managed to square a trade for Bo Jackson (overall power 75) for Pete Incaviglia (Bo has higher contact and power, drastically higher speed, and is only a year older). It gave me credit for achieving my goal after I had logged out and logged back in, so I guess it goes based on having a power rating of 70+ and who you move to get the player (Pete's is a 60).

Findest2001 03-03-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad K (Post 4283047)
Your boss is a nut. But he won't fire you unless his name is George Steinbrenner.

Even Steinbrenner might be okay as long as you're winning unless your name is Billy Martin. But you'd be hired back in a year or two so it wouldn't even really matter.