OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3858)
-   -   First time I've lost a game this way... (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=236730)

as5680 09-17-2013 10:54 AM

First time I've lost a game this way...

This was a new way for me to lose a game - leading 2-1 in the top of the 9th with two outs and runners at 1st and 3rd, the tying run scored on a passed ball on an uncaught third strike.

After a walk to load the bases, another passed ball on a strikeout allowed the go-ahead run to score, putting my team down 3-2!

After a pitching change, a strikeout finally got me out of the inning (the fourth strikeout of the inning, added to a sacrifice bunt which had been the first out).

There was no comeback in the bottom of the 9th and the final score was 3-2 - definitely the strangest circumstances I have lost a game in so far.

rpriske 09-17-2013 11:16 AM

I have lost a game on a WALK-OFF dropped third strike.

The Wolf 09-17-2013 01:01 PM

I lost one on a balk once. :(

Cryomaniac 09-17-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 3573824)
I lost one on a balk once. :(

I think I've won on a balk before.

I don't think OOTP does it, but I know teams in real life have lost on wild pitches during an IBB attempt (I have seen a WP in an attempt to hit a batter though, so maybe it's possible).

r0nster 09-17-2013 06:52 PM

wolf and cryo did you both play the same game ??? LOL

RchW 09-17-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0nster (Post 3574046)
wolf and cryo did you both play the same game ??? LOL

What! Head to Head is here at last!:happy:

The Wolf 09-17-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 3574065)

If that was Cryo then he's both good and lucky!

BusterKing 09-18-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 3574065)

That was one feature promised in one of the old versions, then poof.... never heard of again.

Cryomaniac 09-18-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BusterKing (Post 3574370)
That was one feature promised in one of the old versions, then poof.... never heard of again.

My guess is that it was very difficult to implement.

f.montoya 09-18-2013 10:07 PM

I played H2H with Thomamon about a year or so ago. I won! :D

It can be done with desktop sharing programs and it is quite fun!!

bazeall 09-23-2013 12:40 AM

I was discussing this with an OS during a 4+ hour Astros game. The Astros had to travel to being a road series the next game. Around midnight, I said "They should just intentionally walk the bases loaded, then intentionally walk in the winning run to end this game."

Imagine a winning run scoring on an intentional walk. Or imagine a game ending on a walk off intentional walk.

estyles 09-24-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryomaniac (Post 3573828)
I think I've won on a balk before.

Just won the NL Championship on a walk-off balk. Man, I almost feel bad for the other team.

Of course, the bases were loaded with 1 out, with the second best hitter in the league at the plate, and the best hitter in the league on deck. So I can understand why their pitcher was nervous.

I was trying to decide whether to pinch-hit for my 1.008 OPS hitter with a pitcher, to squeeze bunt, but decided with the infield and outfield in I would just go for it. Kind of anti-climactic.

The Wolf 09-25-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazeall (Post 3576089)
I was discussing this with an OS during a 4+ hour Astros game. The Astros had to travel to being a road series the next game. Around midnight, I said "They should just intentionally walk the bases loaded, then intentionally walk in the winning run to end this game."

Imagine a winning run scoring on an intentional walk. Or imagine a game ending on a walk off intentional walk.

OS = Official Scorer, I assume, and not Ordinary Seaman or Ordnance Sergeant.

estyles 09-25-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estyles (Post 3576726)
Just won the NL Championship on a walk-off balk. Man, I almost feel bad for the other team.

So, I was imagining what would happen to the ump if this ever occurred in real life. I mean, I think a balk would have to be pretty blatant (like faking a throw to first, then quick-pitching) to be called in the 9th inning of a tied playoff game, much less to balk in the winning run in game 7.

Then I wondered if it had ever happened. According to the list a few comments down, here: Walk-off balks » Baseball-Reference Blog » Blog Archive, it hasn't. Just going by the dates, I don't see any walk-off balks in October, and the only two that happened in September don't look like they had playoff implications (I just looked at the teams' records - I didn't go back and check standings from those years).

Cryomaniac 09-25-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazeall (Post 3576089)

I think if it was a blatant IBB they'd be accused of throwing the game. Of course you can tell a guy to walk someone without it looking like an IBB.