OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3941)
-   -   Do you control a team in your fictional league? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=293360)

drewandpedey 10-11-2018 07:54 PM

Do you control a team in your fictional league?

Do you guys control a team, and try and win championships, or just let the game do what it does and see the products of the beauty you've created?

mitchkenn 10-11-2018 08:12 PM

i play as GM. Let my manager do line-ups and pitching, let my Asst. Gm control move ups/demotions in the minors, but i control all trades, contracts ,etc., hiring and firing of personnel.

battists 10-11-2018 10:56 PM

I’m the opposite of mitchkenn. I control a team as manager but not GM, and write stories about my manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RchW 10-11-2018 11:42 PM

GM, field manager, pitching coach, chief bottle (uniform) washer and keeper of statistical purity. Several hundred seasons worth.

BirdWatcher 10-12-2018 02:16 PM

I GM and manage but mostly don't control things when playing out games (and I play/watch every single game my team plays in the regular season and, if we ever get there, the post-season.)
But my focus really isn't on winning. Not that I don't want to win. Of course that is the ultimate goal. But it isn't exclusively my focus and sometimes isn't even my main motivation. For me it's all about the stories, the developing history, the characters, the league evolution, etc. And if I have to choose between keeping a player I really like or making a move that is probably going to make my team more likely a winner, at least half of the time I might decide to keep the player I like and hope I can find another way to improve the team.

Having said that, losing is getting a bit old too. So still searching for the right balance that works for me. Still, narrative over pure results is the way for me.

stevem810 10-12-2018 06:52 PM

I am GM of the franchise and attend to drafting and all roster moves. I use a full staff to manage the team on a day to day basis. Every once in awhile, I'll get behind the bench and play a game in 3D batter by batter.

It seems a bit more dynamic when I have an active role with a team.

pauwoo 10-12-2018 08:05 PM

I’m team Mitchkenn on this one. For extra OOTP need points I sometimes score games manually while I watch the 3D simulation. For extra MLB nerd points, I score way too many Ms games manually per season during radio broadcasts. It gives me zen.

Izz 10-12-2018 11:22 PM

I'm currently playing as historian, though I also control expansion and adding additional leagues and that kind of thing. Unlike many, I play with league evolution on, though I uncheck a few boxes (expansion, DH, etc) to limit the changes the game can make on its own.