OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP Mods - Schedules (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3632)
-   -   Possible to have no inter division play (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=167523)

RayofHope 06-20-2008 06:36 PM

Possible to have no inter division play

OK, my shift keys are broken, so this post has no question marks, but . . .

I'm trying to figure out if its possible to do a one league one sub league schedule with 8 divisions of 10 teams each, and have it so the teams only play teams from within their own division - would like to go with an 81 or 90 game season.

Does anyone know if this is possible - question mark.

Cryomaniac 06-21-2008 05:51 AM

It's possible with a custom schedule. How easy that schedule is to write is an entirely different matter.

RayofHope 06-21-2008 12:36 PM

Thanks, I'll go look for a 'how to' on customizing schedules, either that or just play around and see what happens. Thats always fun.

:hardware:

gmo 06-21-2008 01:03 PM

I am working on it (90 games, 14 weeks). When do you want the season to start?

RayofHope 06-21-2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmo (Post 2511025)
I am working on it (90 games, 14 weeks). When do you want the season to start?

Season start date isn't overly important to me . . . but if pressed I'd run with May to June start date.

Oh . . . I kinda changed the set up of the league too.

:rant:

It's still 2 sub leagues, but I dumped two teams from each league, making it 2 subleagues, 1 division of 8 and 2 divisions of 10 in each league. Would that mandate a 126 game schedule? If that makes it to difficult, then I can switch back to 2 leagues of 10/10/10 instead of two with 8/10/10.

No inter league and no interdivision is a pretty big key to my dream league.

I'm having fits trying to figure this out. The 90 game sched is actually right around what I'm trying to pull - was thinking anywhere from 90-120 odd.

How do you do this, excel and a text editor like notepad?

gmo 06-22-2008 11:27 PM

I am having trouble following the latest description since is seems quite different from the original post. Let me see if I can follow what you want. Is what you want like the below? Quote it and correct me if not.

Code:

Subleague 1            Subleague 2

Division 1 (8 teams)    Division 1 (8 teams)
Division 2 (10 teams)  Division 2 (10 teams)
Division 3 (10 teams)  Division 3 (10 teams)

Since there is no interdivision play, each division can be treated like a single league. Something of 90 games for 10 teams is in progress as I mentioned, and I think I have an 8-team schedule with 84 games that can be easily tweaked to 90 games.

I was assuming no All-Star game with such a low number of games. Is that correct?

My construction techniques have developed over a few years. I do the layout and construction in a spreadsheet, then do some processing, analysis, and writing to file with some script programs.

RayofHope 06-23-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmo (Post 2513345)
I am having trouble following the latest description since is seems quite different from the original post. Let me see if I can follow what you want. Is what you want like the below? Quote it and correct me if not.

Code:

Subleague 1            Subleague 2

Division 1 (8 teams)    Division 1 (8 teams)
Division 2 (10 teams)  Division 2 (10 teams)
Division 3 (10 teams)  Division 3 (10 teams)

Since there is no interdivision play, each division can be treated like a single league. Something of 90 games for 10 teams is in progress as I mentioned, and I think I have an 8-team schedule with 84 games that can be easily tweaked to 90 games.

I was assuming no All-Star game with such a low number of games. Is that correct?

My construction techniques have developed over a few years. I do the layout and construction in a spreadsheet, then do some processing, analysis, and writing to file with some script programs.

That's exactly it . . . on two fronts - my no interdivision play is an attempt to design a league that'll work around some of the game constraints.

What I wasn't sure of is whether you can apply 'different' schedules to different divisions within a league, cause yeah, the divisions are blue printed essentially as leagues to themselves, but somehow I don't think it's that easy.

Whether or not it's balanced is of little concern to me if I can get this thing working, and yes, there would be no All Star game. Although a 'summer break' of some kind may be cool just to extend the length of the season some, but not in any way shape or form necessary.

FYI League one [Continental for lack of a better description] currently holds teams from the US [16], Canada [6] and Mexico [6]; League two [Global] holds Cuba [8], Dominican Republic [6], Japan [10] and another Asian country to be decided, likely at this point to be Taiwan [4]. The ultimate goal is to maybe have promo relegation with the 8 team division in each league being the division for the best of the best, then the rest of the rest - the promo relegation idea is what switched me from 2 leagues of 10/10/10 to two leagues of 8/10/10 - the Elite or Super 8 need to be where the best of the best reside.

If only I could find a way to work around foreign player limits - I want to allow foreign players to a small extent to keep the lesser talented countries vagauley competitive - and not have stud players stuck at AAA and Rookie league because they can't crack the big league squad due to limits. But I think this is something I've come to terms with, decided it is just another challenge . . . also debated tunring morale off, but want to try and avoid that.

Also working on both college and high school national feeder leagues, and getting names and nicknames with an attempt at some meaning. Needless to say've been working on the template for a fair while, and it is in at least it's 6th incarnation.

Playoffs would be something like the old 'UEFA Cup Winners Cup' where each division sends participants, but I hope to weight it with more teams coming from the 8 team division as a 'reward' of sorts.

May turn out to be a pipe dream, but hey, we'll see.

gmo 06-26-2008 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, good luck with getting everything else to work out precisely. Let me know if there are any problems with this.

The attached is 90 games and as described above. The terminology is set with this as being not balanced. I call balanced playing all teams in the league the same number of times whereas in this case it is playing every opponent (basically) the same number of times. So just make sure in the league setup for the schedule that balanced is not selected.

Also, there is a 3-day break that could serve as an All-Star Break, but there is no All-Star Game set in the schedule. If you want to add the ASG to the schedule, in the top data line of the file (the one that begins with "<SCHEDULE type=") just before the closing greater than sign (the ">") add in:

allstar_game_day="55"

RayofHope 06-27-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmo (Post 2519400)
Well, good luck with getting everything else to work out precisely. Let me know if there are any problems with this.

The attached is 90 games and as described above. The terminology is set with this as being not balanced. I call balanced playing all teams in the league the same number of times whereas in this case it is playing every opponent (basically) the same number of times. So just make sure in the league setup for the schedule that balanced is not selected.

Also, there is a 3-day break that could serve as an All-Star Break, but there is no All-Star Game set in the schedule. If you want to add the ASG to the schedule, in the top data line of the file (the one that begins with "<SCHEDULE type=") just before the closing greater than sign (the ">") add in:

allstar_game_day="55"

Good stuff, thank you sir.

:friday:

I'll let you know how it turns out - and your def of balanced is the same as mine!