OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP Mods - In-Game Text and PbP Commentary (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3635)
-   -   The XML File Suggestion Thread (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=119577)

battists 05-30-2006 09:27 AM

The XML File Suggestion Thread

This thread is for suggestions, corrections, or constructive criticism related to in-game text in OOTPB. The XML file that contains play-by-play and in-game text for OOTPB is being updated and polished on an ongoing basis, based on feedback from the community.

A few rules for submitting feedback:

1. Be nice. If you can't post a suggestion without resorting to inflammatory phrasing like "This sucks" or "This sounds pathetic" then don't bother.

2. Please be as specific as possible about where you saw the text. For example, "This was in a player of the week news article for a starting pitcher" or "This was when my runner was advancing to third..." If possible, provide a screenshot. In the case of play-by-play, try to include the full play in question, not just the one erroneous line.

3. If possible, provide an alternative. Rephrase it, correct the spelling, etc.

4. Please try to stay away from feature suggestions in this thread. This thread is not intended to discuss ways that Markus could change how in-game text works. It's more to address incorrect or unnatural text items in the game.

5. Be nice.

We're very open to feedback, as long as it's constructive and polite.

Thanks very much!

battists 05-30-2006 09:29 AM

Sample Suggestion

What I saw: "Wilson hit 45 hmruns this year"
Where I saw it: This was in an MVP announcement
What I think was wrong with it: "hmruns" is misspelled
Suggestion: Correct the spelling!

RBLwebguy 05-30-2006 09:49 AM

Positive feedback also welcomed ;) , the text team worked a lot of man hours!

:flowers:

Eugene Church 05-31-2006 07:41 PM

I saw it while playing out a game.

"hit sharply to right"...

"texas leaguer"...

A "texas leaguer" is not a sharply hit ball...it a looping flyball...a flare...it has an arc...more of a soft popfly just over the infield...not a line drive.

Solution: don't let "texas leaguer" follow "hit sharply"...it should follow "popfly to right"..."soft fly to right"..."looper to right"..."soft flare to right"..."popped up to shallow right"..."popup to short right".

tysok 05-31-2006 11:25 PM

"Fans are lining up at the turnstyles and getting ready for another great year. Welcome to another exciting baseball season! Everyone is ready to get sit back, munch on a hot brotwurst and get this thing started."

"get sit back" isn't right, should just be "sit back".
Any other errors in that text is my fault.

It was in an Opening Day news announcement.

tysok 05-31-2006 11:32 PM

The big buzz in the baseball world is about Don Hoffman's performance last night against Kansas City. Hoffman has 4 en route to hitting for the cycle.

Has 4 what? Guess it's supposed to be 4 hits, but shouldn't it be past tense then... had 4 hits?

It's in a hit for the cycle announcement.

tysok 05-31-2006 11:50 PM

I have 2 announcements that the postseason is starting. Both on 10/3:

First: The Major League playoffs start today! Only a handful of teams remain to battle for the ultimate prize. Today is the start of the Division Series, and most of the teams will be trying to put their best foot forward in these matchups: (but nothing listed)

Second: The "second season" begins today in Major League as the playoffs get underway. The clubs vying for postseason supremacy in the Division Series are paired together in the following matchups: (this time it lists the matchups)

In the second one it should say "today in the Major League"

tysok 06-01-2006 12:02 AM

Last post for tonight at least...... not an error in a news article but the fact that there was no news article.....

No news article for the end of the World Series and who won?

tysok 06-01-2006 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBLwebguy
Positive feedback also welcomed ;) , the text team worked a lot of man hours!

:flowers:

Very good job to the text team. I only got bored because I kept reading about shutouts and great hitting games, but the variation was very good. And not many mistakes it would appear, I went through 291 news reports for my inaugural season and those are the only things I found.

tysok 06-01-2006 12:29 AM

Oooooooh... I liked this one. On 11/25 I get a news report of rumors that the Swarm and Ramirez are talking about 37.8 million contract, both denying the rumors.... and on 11/27 I get a news report that he signed with the Hunchbacks for 37.6 million.

That's a beautiful thing.

pstrickert 06-01-2006 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysok
"Fans are lining up at the turnstyles and getting ready for another great year. Welcome to another exciting baseball season! Everyone is ready to get sit back, munch on a hot brotwurst and get this thing started."

"get sit back" isn't right, should just be "sit back".
Any other errors in that text is my fault.

It was in an Opening Day news announcement.

correct spelling: bratwurst

RBLwebguy 06-01-2006 12:41 AM

Quote:

Oooooooh... I liked this one. On 11/25 I get a news report of rumors that the Swarm and Ramirez are talking about 37.8 million contract, both denying the rumors.... and on 11/27 I get a news report that he signed with the Hunchbacks for 37.6 million.

That's a beautiful thing.

:)

draven085 06-01-2006 08:19 AM

What I saw: A 3-1 putout on a groundball to the firstbaseman was described as a "roller to the left side"
Where I saw it: In-game PbP
What I think was wrong with it: Firstbase is located on the right side of the infield.
Suggestion: Update the text to correctly describe the location of the ground ball.

punchdrunk 06-01-2006 03:23 PM

Error on catcher blamed on firstbaseman

I had a game where the catcher threw the ball into centerfield on a steal attempt, but the announcer said that my firstbaseman was charged with an error. I checked the box score, and it showed that an error was charged correctly to my catcher, so it was just the PbP apparently grabbing the wrong player's name.

Sorry I can't be more specific about this, but I can't remember the exact wording of the commentary, but I know the firstbaseman was mentioned by name as the guy who made the error.

punchdrunk 06-01-2006 05:13 PM

The Ghost Player

What I saw: "Davis picks it with the backhand..."

Where I saw it: Pbp during a spring training game

What I think was wrong with it: Nobody on the field is named Davis... (first or last name)

Suggestion: Don't let ghosts play shortstop, cause they can't throw worth a crap...

Here's a screen shot:

http://h1.ripway.com/liver_snatch/ghostplayer.jpg

battists 06-01-2006 08:57 PM

Now that's a helpful post. :) Seriously, the full text, a screenshot. Nice work!

RBLwebguy 06-02-2006 12:16 AM

Quote:

I have 2 announcements that the postseason is starting. Both on 10/3:

First: The Major League playoffs start today! Only a handful of teams remain to battle for the ultimate prize. Today is the start of the Division Series, and most of the teams will be trying to put their best foot forward in these matchups: (but nothing listed)

Second: The "second season" begins today in Major League as the playoffs get underway. The clubs vying for postseason supremacy in the Division Series are paired together in the following matchups: (this time it lists the matchups)

In the second one it should say "today in the Major League"

The second one was an easy fix, the first should be working. Let me know if you see anymore without the matchups.

markprior22 06-02-2006 11:57 AM

I saw a PBP last night like this...Webber comes in for the ball...Webber also has a bead on it but Webber waves him off. There was only one Webber in the field.

AliG 06-02-2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punchdrunk
What I saw: "Davis picks it with the backhand..."

Where I saw it: Pbp during a spring training game

What I think was wrong with it: Nobody on the field is named Davis... (first or last name)

Suggestion: Don't let ghosts play shortstop, cause they can't throw worth a crap...

Here's a screen shot:

http://h1.ripway.com/liver_snatch/ghostplayer.jpg

Surely that should also say 'picks it up with the backhand...' ?

Raidergoo 06-02-2006 12:33 PM

It looks like catagory 241, objects 14685,14686, 14687 use Davis instead of a variable.

It looks like catagory 179, object 8026 also.

To the best of my knowledge, 179 is back handed catches, 241 is balls hit in air.