OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   Any way to get more advanced stats on default views? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=305104)

geisterhome 07-11-2019 05:36 PM

Any way to get more advanced stats on default views?

I mean for example in the pop up when looking at pitchers it could be an option to see FIP instead of ERA or when looking at your line up at various places, e.g. the Team Home Screen maybe instead of Batting Average we could be able to select to see OPS+, or, same screen, under Batting/Pitching Leaders, there could be leaders in more advanced metrics.

I guess there is no option to set it up in such way right now?

What you guys think about those suggestions?

Reed 07-11-2019 06:56 PM

I like the idea about option but of course I have no idea how difficult it would be to program. This is somewhat similar to a suggestion I made sometime ago. I do not like to see ratings and suggested on the players label in game for batters instead of showing rating to show batting average/home runs or OBP/slugging percentage.

NoOne 07-11-2019 10:07 PM

make it similar to any other common viewing list in game... customizable.

the skeleton of code/logic already exists. This wouldn't be a major thing to accomplish, which isn't necessarily a reason to do it. even so, i think it's an awesome suggestion.

Bluenoser 07-12-2019 06:47 AM

There's lots of viewing lists in the game that can't be customized now that should be.

No disrespect to the suggestion, but it would be a waste of time for the amount of work imo. Those stats you want are all just an extra mouse click or two away.

I mean when you look at baseball, there are literally 1000's of different stats, the game is all about numbers. Which ones do we make readily available, which ones not? Everyone has their favourites they'd like to see.

I've been asking for years, as have many, just to have more options added to filters. We still don't have that.

I'm curious why you need those stats there? The window is small, it's not like you're going to get enough different stats in there for decision making purposes. Pop up windows are quick reference.

geisterhome 07-12-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenoser (Post 4513947)
There's lots of viewing lists in the game that can't be customized now that should be.

No disrespect to the suggestion, but it would be a waste of time for the amount of work imo. Those stats you want are all just an extra mouse click or two away.

I mean when you look at baseball, there are literally 1000's of different stats, the game is all about numbers. Which ones do we make readily available, which ones not? Everyone has their favourites they'd like to see.

I've been asking for years, as have many, just to have more options added to filters. We still don't have that.

I'm curious why you need those stats there? The window is small, it's not like you're going to get enough different stats in there for decision making purposes. Pop up windows are quick reference.

If we have better stats at our hands than ERA and Batting Average to very quickly evaluate players, why not use them? even on tv broadcasts they are starting to use more advanced stats.

The average ootp player should be well familiar with those rather basic advanced stats like FIP and OPS+. We are no casual audience.

When I'm e.g. just checking out other teams and their players mid season to get a basic idea how they are doing I dont always deep dive into the playerlist battingstats screen. It's not always about players I'm going to offer a huge FA contract where I'm really trying to figure out if they are worth what they demand.

For a mostly text based game like ootp a having good userinterface is huge. And the better info each screen or even popup is showing the better the user interface is imo.

I doubt it can be that hard and time consuming to implement?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Bluenoser 07-12-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geisterhome (Post 4513973)
If we have better stats at our hands than ERA and Batting Average to very quickly evaluate players, why not use them? even on tv broadcasts they are starting to use more advanced stats.

The average ootp player should be well familiar with those rather basic advanced stats like FIP and OPS+. We are no casual audience.

When I'm e.g. just checking out other teams and their players mid season to get a basic idea how they are doing I dont always deep dive into the playerlist battingstats screen. It's not always about players I'm going to offer a huge FA contract where I'm really trying to figure out if they are worth what they demand.

For a mostly text based game like ootp a having good userinterface is huge. And the better info each screen or even popup is showing the better the user interface is imo.

I doubt it can be that hard and time consuming to implement?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Like I said - there's lots of viewing lists in the game that can't be customized now that should be.

I know nothing about programming, but I doubt it's just a simple add. There's a whole ton of filtering that has to go on in the background to get there. They haven't gotten the regular stat pages to the point we can customize to our hearts content, so I don't see how this is going to be any easier or quicker to add.

As far as I'm concerned we should be able to filter/sort/query on any stat the game produces, but we can't.

You'd be surprised how many people don't use or care for advanced metric stats.

If you're "just checking out" other teams n players, you don't need in depth info, by your own admission.

If you want in depth info, then a pop-up window isn't going to suffice, there isn't enough room in a pop up window to cover in depth.

geisterhome 07-12-2019 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenoser (Post 4513990)
You'd be surprised how many people don't use or care for advanced metric stats

If you're "just checking out" other teams n players, you don't need in depth info, by your own admission.

If you want in depth info, then a pop-up window isn't going to suffice, there isn't enough room in a pop up window to cover in depth.

On the other hand maybe you'd be surprised how many care for those advanced stats?

I don't want in-depth info at all, I just like to glance over a few very meaningful stats instead of having to look at those rather less telling ones (ERA, W/L record etc) and having that at one place like the team home screen would be great.

Bluenoser 07-12-2019 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by geisterhome (Post 4514087)
On the other hand maybe you'd be surprised how many care for those advanced stats?

I don't want in-depth info at all, I just like to glance over a few very meaningful stats instead of having to look at those rather less telling ones (ERA, W/L record etc) and having that at one place like the team home screen would be great.

No, it's not really surprising at all. Lots use the new stats, lots don't. That's already understood.

Team home screen shows some meaningful stats now. They seem to be the common ones anyway.

Bluenoser 07-12-2019 03:12 PM

This should be added to the suggestions forum anyway. It'll quickly disappear into the depths here in the general forum.

BIG17EASY 07-12-2019 05:03 PM

Why not create a few custom views on roster screens? It takes a minute or two to create them, but they're available on all roster screens. I have two -- SABR Batting and SABR Pitching -- for sabremetric stats. It's so easy to switch to them that it does not slow me down one bit playing the game.

geisterhome 07-13-2019 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenoser (Post 4514094)
No, it's not really surprising at all. Lots use the new stats, lots don't. That's already understood.

Team home screen shows some meaningful stats now. They seem to be the common ones anyway.

Yea I like that section you marked on the screenshot lol.

NoOne 07-13-2019 04:11 PM

anything with a list of stats should be that way, and it really isn't a ton of work as intimated above. re-useable, scaleable etc... probably how they already do the other views/lists. just another layer added, hopefully. if not setup that way, good time to clean it up (make it modular / scaleable if it isn't)

the uniformity/simplicity reduces work in the long-run too, whether adding or modifying. applis to all relevant contexts with 1 fix. xml have cascading style sheets? lol.

fitting what you see into a smaller 'tile' within screen (~a table) isn't anything different than a full screen list, like on a player profile view vs. roster view.

Also, like big17easy said, the current games doesn't preclude you from creating custom views and such elswhere.