OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP Mods - Names and Nations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3641)
-   -   Here's how to update your custom world file so that it works in OOTP 19 (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=288111)

DustyElbows 04-08-2018 05:33 PM

Here's how to update your custom world file so that it works in OOTP 19

I know a lot of folks have been having a hard time getting old custom world files to work properly with OOTP 19. I messed around with it and was able to get Bottom of the Sixth's US States as Nations mod working in 19.

Here's what I did:
1. Open up the world_default file that comes with OOTP 19 and open the world file you would like to use.
2. In your custom world file, do a ctrl-find and replace 'lid=' with 'etid='
3. In your custom world file, do a ctrl-find and replace 'ETHNICITY' with 'ETHN_PCT'
4. In your custom world file, do a ctrl-find and replace 'ETHNICITIES' with 'ETHN_PCTS'
5. Finally, you'll notice that your custom version has a list of languages instead of a list of ethnicities at the beginning of the file. Copy lines 13 through 53 of the default world file and paste them over the corresponding lines in your custom file.
(That is, copy the lines from <ETHNICITIES> to </ETHNICITIES> and paste them over the lines from <LANGUAGES> to </LANGUAGES> )

6. Now load your new world file into the game as you would normally do. These changes did the trick for me.

HerbD 04-08-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyElbows (Post 4308918)
I know a lot of folks have been having a hard time getting old custom world files to work properly with OOTP 19. I messed around with it and was able to get Bottom of the Sixth's US States as Nations mod working in 19.

Here's what I did:
1. Open up the world_default file that comes with OOTP 19 and open the world file you would like to use.
3. In your custom world file, do a ctrl-find and replace 'ETHNICITY' with 'ETHN_PCT'
4. In your custom world file, do a ctrl-find and replace 'ETHNICITIES' with 'ETHN_PCTS'
5. Finally, you'll notice that your custom version has a list of languages instead of a list of ethnicities at the beginning of the file. Copy lines 13 through 53 of the default world file and paste them over the corresponding lines in your custom file.
(That is, copy the lines from <ETHNICITIES> to </ETHNICITIES> and paste them over the lines from <LANGUAGES> to </LANGUAGES> )

6. Now load your new world file into the game as you would normally do. These changes did the trick for me.

You beat me to it. This exactly what I did.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

RANGER11JP 04-09-2018 04:41 PM

I can't wait to try this. Also,the file heading talks about "hard coded player origins" & "this is the usa". What do these options now do? Can we control facial type or if we want to use second nationalities? The ethnicities.txt file used to make some of this pretty easy, but now we seem to be on our own to figure it all out. :confused:

RANGER11JP 04-09-2018 11:09 PM

DustyElbows,

Thank you for shining the light on what to do. I even got brave enough to attempt some other minor tweaks to the xml file as well.

:happy:

Isedelyod 05-22-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyElbows (Post 4308918)

Here's what I did:

What do you use to open the World_default file? I can't seem to even get it to open.

txranger 05-22-2018 01:09 PM

I use Notepad++...

Isedelyod 05-22-2018 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So...I downloaded notepad++ and this is what I get when I try and open a .wtp or .dat file

Lionsault 05-22-2018 10:16 PM

You should be looking at the world_default XML file in your databases folder.

lightgrenade07 06-15-2018 04:02 PM

I've tried making these changes, but any time I try changing "lid=" to "etid=", the editor program stops responding.

EDIT: I was able to make all changes in Notepad, but OOTP 19 still isn't loading the data from the XML file.

darkcloud4579 07-05-2018 08:14 PM

You can open an xml file in notepad, but you can also use a code editor like Atom or Sublime Text and that'll open it natively than notepad and you can still edit and save it. Both are free.

lightgrenade07 06-02-2020 06:04 AM

Two years later, and now OOTP21 still isn't loading the new world data file.

albatross11 06-02-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightgrenade07 (Post 4653216)
Two years later, and now OOTP21 still isn't loading the new world data file.

Sounds like you just made the changes, and didn't actually update the file in-game. If so, the game is using the world data file it came with.

Open your game. Go to Game>Settings>Database. Select Data Base Options and update your world data file.

hth