OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   FHM - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3843)
-   -   FHM 2015 Road to Release: The new fictional league creation wizard (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=248834)

BradC 11-14-2014 07:00 PM

FHM 2015 Road to Release: The new fictional league creation wizard

We've published the next entry in the FHM 2015 Road to Release series. Let us know your thoughts. Thanks!

FHM 2015 The Road to Release: The New Fictional League Creator

Bluenoser 11-14-2014 07:58 PM

Very nice - it's a good start and simple to use. I also like that it can grow with future versions.

I am impressed with the over-all approach to the next version. Start small and simple. OOTP (Rome) wasn't built in a day and had very few features in the beginning. Take your time, add features as the game grows and when they fit. Very much looking forward to the next version.

Keep up the good work team. :thumbup:

landru22 11-15-2014 11:39 AM

A few comments/questions:

(1)The new screens look nice, but I don't see how it differs compared to what we already have, other than the lack of other leagues.

(2)I understand the need to simplify and, as a fictional player, I am absolutely fine with the structure of a single Major, Minor, and Junior leagues.

(3) It appears, since fictional is being simplified, that there will likely not be an option to "Import" a league from FHM14. Is this so?

(4) Keep up the good work!

Sebastian Palkowski 11-15-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landru22 (Post 3774197)
A few comments/questions:

(1)The new screens look nice, but I don't see how it differs compared to what we already have, other than the lack of other leagues.

Before it was not possible to play with just one league (or a setup with one major, one minor and one junior league). You always had the world around it. We felt it would be better to start small now and (if demand is their) expand on the mode by time.

Quote:

(2)I understand the need to simplify and, as a fictional player, I am absolutely fine with the structure of a single Major, Minor, and Junior leagues.

We have to be realistic, the fictional mode in 2014 was not good - period. It was no easy decision for us to simplify it but in the end it is the only way to go. We don't want to remove it in total as we know that a lot of user want to play the game that way and we will continue to support/improve the mode with every new version/patch. Same for historical mode.

Quote:

(3) It appears, since fictional is being simplified, that there will likely not be an option to "Import" a league from FHM14. Is this so?

Good question. In theory, nothing speaks against it but I have to test it.

archibalduk 11-15-2014 01:16 PM

I really like the fresh approach and starting again from the basics. I always felt that the original fictional mode was a bit rushed and rather ambitious. The new fictional mode however looks very promising.

I also like how the wizard breaks the process down and essentially spoon-feeds you through the creation process. Although I don't like the name Sam - I'd prefer the name Torts instead! :D

Will there be a Road to Release article on the new FHM 2015 match engine and the 2014 match engine patch?

phantompenguin 11-15-2014 03:43 PM

As a fictional league player this is mostly good news. I can't say that I'll miss having the rest of the world in my fictional games because the fictional leagues were broken in '14. Simplifying it and making it work is a necessary step and I'm glad that you've recognized that and are working on it.

I do really hope that it does build up in future versions, I've always preferred creating fictional worlds, to me it's fun to build up Iceland into a hockey power and have multiple top-end leagues and feeders, but being able to play even a stripped-down version is better than being unable to play an over-ambitious and broken version.

Keep up the good work.

dave1927p 11-15-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantompenguin (Post 3774278)
As a fictional league player this is mostly good news. I can't say that I'll miss having the rest of the world in my fictional games because the fictional leagues were broken in '14. Simplifying it and making it work is a necessary step and I'm glad that you've recognized that and are working on it.

I do really hope that it does build up in future versions, I've always preferred creating fictional worlds, to me it's fun to build up Iceland into a hockey power and have multiple top-end leagues and feeders, but being able to play even a stripped-down version is better than being unable to play an over-ambitious and broken version.

Keep up the good work.

Fictional worlds is what drew me and kept me to OOTP to begin with.

The great thing is, even if the modern day mode is the primary focus in a way, all the work there can be switched over and used for fictional as well as historical. In a way, it's all tied together. I agree too, separating the fictional league from all real ones is the first major step. Now it won't be bogged down for simming speeds and you can fly through a season in minutes if you choose.

Puckhead 11-15-2014 04:51 PM

I think the new fictional mode is a good idea and it looks very well executed. As everyone already here said: keep it up! :)

markprior22 11-15-2014 06:33 PM

Will there be an easy option to keep real life teams, leagues, etc but fill them with fictional players?

Nino33 11-16-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archibalduk (Post 3774236)
Will there be a Road to Release article on the new FHM 2015 match engine and the 2014 match engine patch?

I hope so! I'm by far most interested in the revamped match engine

BradC 11-16-2014 03:32 PM

Yes, I expect we'll do a Road to Release for the new match engine. Thanks.

Archangel878 11-17-2014 03:32 PM

Can we see a list of the pre-defined league structures available for fictional leagues?

Sebastian Palkowski 11-17-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archangel878 (Post 3774949)
Can we see a list of the pre-defined league structures available for fictional leagues?

ATM the same as in 2014.

EJ 11-24-2014 07:42 PM

It looks promising. Simple is fine for the time being.

(How about making "Sam" a sharp and attractive professional-looking woman? Just kidding . . . kind of. ;) )

old fat bald guy 01-17-2015 07:34 PM

The team nicknames in those screenshots are great. The South Houston Malice!

Garethw87 01-20-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fat bald guy (Post 3797281)
The team nicknames in those screenshots are great. The South Houston Malice!

'Dallas Cowboys' is a controversial one! :p

Looks great and I love how you can edit the arena BEFORE you load up the league!

zyberianwarrior 04-25-2015 12:19 AM

I'm impressed with this really...and as a STH (first time) for the Nashville Predators I would be very interested in this feature. Not a fan of roidball especially that moronic idiot Selig ruined it for me.