OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP Mods - Database Tools (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3633)
-   -   Negro League Database (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=262987)

Spritze 03-10-2016 07:02 PM

Negro League Database

I am creating a negro league database and will post my requests for ideas here.

1) OOTP has a downgrade players with less than 300 at bats feature on the create new game advanced options page. Only 140 of the 18,572 player seasons comes in over this threshold due to the much shorter league seasons. Should I take an action step by increasing at bats in some way or leave this as is?

swampdragon 03-10-2016 08:54 PM

Just warn us that we need to reduce that number when we check options. I'd guess 100 AB would be an acceptable level?

Spritze 03-10-2016 10:23 PM

Yup but each gamer can make their own decision of course.

froghair 03-22-2016 12:04 PM

Spritze, with your handle on how databases are used by the game, you might be the only human who can answer this question:

When Negro Leaguers are added -- some or all -- would it be possible in OOTP17 to set up a fictional league (one using a dbse of real players, if I am saying that correctly) where the random-debut player pool consists a) all MLB players/history (~18k), b) all affiliated post-1919 MiLB players (~150k) and c) whatever Negro Lg. players can be created in a file. So in other words, a player pool of 175-200k real players that get used in a league history.

I think this was possible in an MLB-NL-PCL-Japan roster set you created that I used in OOTP16. I'm just trying to see if I can run a league where starting in a given year-forward, all levels of a league with at least some minor league levels can be stocked with this giant pool of real players.

Sorry for the verbose question and clarification .. I'm a noob confused on what is possible with the new MiLB database. Thanks.

Spritze 03-22-2016 12:10 PM

Currently none of that is possible but I am sure Markus is not done yet even if it takes to OOTP18 or 19 to finish off the minor, foreign and negro leagues.

froghair 03-22-2016 12:25 PM

I guess what I don't understand is that the game has the major leaguers .. and the bulk of the minor leaguers .. what prevents the realization of the concept that puts them all together as one player pool to be used in random debut? Just curious.

Spritze 03-22-2016 12:50 PM

It does not happen automagically. Takes programming time away from other things that need doing. The minor leagues cannot leap fully formed to match every possible style of play. Plus many of your data wants do not exist yet. Patience is called for.

jncca1215 03-23-2016 06:33 PM

This is great. Any idea when you expect it to be done?

Spritze 03-24-2016 12:15 AM

A few weeks but it won't be OOTP 17 compatible.

RANGER11JP 03-24-2016 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritze (Post 4006523)
A few weeks but it won't be OOTP 17 compatible.

:(:ohmy::mad::angry::crying:

I think this needs to be re-thunk. The new database system seems to limit much of what we can use and hamper continuing to utilize the fine work you and others have created for past game editions. Your DB where Dickie Flowers can debut in 1856 is outstanding! The fact that I can not use it in this version is mind boggling. I will be patient and hope Markus and company address this at some point. OOTP17 is an amazing achievement overall.

froghair 03-24-2016 01:14 PM

If a Spritze dbse game is started in OOTP 16, can it than be opened in OOTP 17? Seems like I was able to do that in a test this morning.

Spritze 03-24-2016 02:06 PM

Afaik

swampdragon 03-24-2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froghair (Post 4006960)
If a Spritze dbse game is started in OOTP 16, can it than be opened in OOTP 17? Seems like I was able to do that in a test this morning.

The key would be whether OOTP 17 could do future imports from that database to advance the game. That would certainly be an easy workaround if possible.

froghair 03-24-2016 02:27 PM

Okay, rookie Q then: where is the Spritze dbse that has the most players from the all-time pool of MLB, PCL, Negro Leagues? That's he one I thought I was testing this morning but I couldn't find any PCL, Negro League guys.

swampdragon 03-24-2016 03:13 PM

I think I got mine at post 783 in the top sticky thread. It doesn't have many Negro League players, but it has the 1903-1912 PCL players. My guess is that the game will transfer to OOTP 17 OK, but that you won't be able to advance the game while pointing to that database for seasons after that.

This was probably inevitable, but the custom databases have been a valuable addition to OOTP. Creating proprietary databases that are incompatible with existing custom databases or future user-made databases removes that valuable resource. Easy moddability has been a key to the success of the OOTP franchise, and this is not a welcome development.

froghair 03-24-2016 06:51 PM

Thanks, Swamp. My Test 16-to-17 Spitze League seems to be working fine in year 2 on OOTP 17. Will keep keep testing.

When downloaded, the database I was using says "Spiritze HS for OOTP16." Anyway I thought there was a near 40,000-man database that includes a decent number of Negro Lg players plus a huge chunk of the PCL (thru the end in the 50s).

MarkInCincy 05-01-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritze (Post 3994790)
I am creating a negro league database and will post my requests for ideas here.

1) OOTP has a downgrade players with less than 300 at bats feature on the create new game advanced options page. Only 140 of the 18,572 player seasons comes in over this threshold due to the much shorter league seasons. Should I take an action step by increasing at bats in some way or leave this as is?

Pro-rate AB/PA to what they would be if they played a 140/154/162 game schedule depending on year OR just prorate all to current 162

MarkInCincy 05-01-2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampdragon (Post 4007016)
The key would be whether OOTP 17 could do future imports from that database to advance the game. That would certainly be an easy workaround if possible.

One option might be to copy the Spritze DB files to the default stats directory since it also contains the .odb?

jncca1215 06-10-2016 07:45 PM

How is progress going?

Spritze 06-10-2016 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All done. But not yet tested. I wanted to get a new Spritze database update out. Available on dropbox now. I did not notice any big challenges when I tested this over the last few days. I have been fixing those I did find.

The Negro database may become an addition to the regular OOTP17 in game database.

If not I'll make the players available as part of the Spritze database.

Some of the leagues on this list may be too incomplete to use without a plethora of Joe Unknowns (ghosts) being used so I'll probably just include the players. 3,981 of them.