OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 16 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3891)
-   -   Steam vs Direct Download (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=250126)

TDO 01-23-2015 10:55 AM

Steam vs Direct Download

Im a little behind the times on technology. I understand the basics of what steam is and I have one game off steam.

What would make someone want to get the Steam version instead of a Direct Download version?

I ask because I'm going to pre-order the game (like i have since OOTP12) but I've always just done the download to my laptop. It runs just fine on it, so I don't see why I would want to go the stream route.

Can someone explain to a Steam Newb :)

Assos 01-23-2015 10:59 AM

From what I understand, Steam allows you to have the game attached to your Steam account so you can load it on different computers but you can only play one copy at a time while connected to Steam. You can play offline too, but you would not get the fancy Steam achievements and the game will auto update for you too. I am glad they allow you to get both in the pre buy.

FlipCup 01-23-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDO (Post 3799747)
Im a little behind the times on technology. I understand the basics of what steam is and I have one game off steam.

What would make someone want to get the Steam version instead of a Direct Download version?

I ask because I'm going to pre-order the game (like i have since OOTP12) but I've always just done the download to my laptop. It runs just fine on it, so I don't see why I would want to go the stream route.

If you like to have all of your PC games in one spot, Steam is good for that. Steam also has "achievements" and a big social side to it. They also have the ability to have Cloud saves, meaning you can play on one computer and download your save from another. Sadly, I don't think OOTP will have that functionality. Also, with Steam, you only need that one Steam license to play on multiple computers.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

RchW 01-23-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

You don't have to make any decision. Pre-ordering gets you a Steam key. Then you can see what the concept is all about.

Markus Heinsohn 01-23-2015 11:03 AM

Everyone who doesn't mind, get the direct download version from our site so we don't have to pay the big cut Steam gets from all theri sales ;)

The best is preordering now, since that includes a free Steam key, so you get the best of both worlds.

David Watts 01-23-2015 11:04 AM

What are steam achievements? They don't pop up during game play do they?

FlipCup 01-23-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn (Post 3799755)
Everyone who doesn't mind, get the direct download version from our site so we don't have to pay the big cut Steam gets from all theri sales ;)

The best is preordering now, since that includes a free Steam key, so you get the best of both worlds.

Of course!

Assos 01-23-2015 11:05 AM

And if you misplace your key, as I so often do. OOTP team is quick with responses! But Steam also helps out too! Best of both worlds!

jpeters1734 01-23-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn (Post 3799755)

^This. Buy from OOTP and help with development costs

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 3799758)
What are steam achievements? They don't pop up during game play do they?

Yes they do but they will go away shortly

RchW 01-23-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpeters1734 (Post 3799763)
^This. Buy from OOTP and help with development costs

Yes they do but they will go away shortly

Ha ha vaporized!:)

The Wolf 01-23-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Steam means: no CD's or DVD's to have to keep, no need to manually update your games ever because Steam does that for you, the ability to play any game you own on any computer you are on, easy modding through Steam Workshops, saves available on any computer through Steam cloud saves, access to more games than you can imagine, access to Steam and Humble Bundle and Bundlestars game sales where you can get tons of good games for almost nothing, Steam achievements, Steam friends, Steam discussion forums, Steam user game images and videos, tons of free to play games, tons of online multiplayer games (many free, including the awesome DOTA 2 - Dota 2 on Steam - that I play a lot) that you can jump right into, and a thousand other things. Steam or something like it is the future of gaming.

Preorder, get a Steam key, and look Steam over. It's modern gaming.

David Watts 01-23-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 3799771)
Steam means: no CD's or DVD's to have to keep, no need to manually update your games ever because Steam does that for you, the ability to play any game you own on any computer you are on, easy modding through Steam Workshops, saves available on any computer through Steam cloud saves, access to more games than you can imagine, access to Steam and Humble Bundle and Bundlestars game sales where you can get tons of good games for almost nothing, Steam achievements, Steam friends, Steam discussion forums, Steam user game images and videos, tons of free to play games, tons of online multiplayer games (many free, including the awesome DOTA 2 - Dota 2 on Steam - that I play a lot) that you can jump right into, and a thousand other things. Steam or something like it is the future of gaming.

Preorder, get a Steam key, and look Steam over. It's modern gaming.

Okay, I have $40 dollars in Steam Gift cards. But, I think I will listen to Markus and buy the game direct from OOTP. Can any of you recommend any other games I might like? Rchw suggested FM, but I'm soccer dumb, so I don't know if I could get into it.

RchW 01-23-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 3799778)
Okay, I have $40 dollars in Steam Gift cards. But, I think I will listen to Markus and buy the game direct from OOTP. Can any of you recommend any other games I might like? Rchw suggested FM, but I'm soccer dumb, so I don't know if I could get into it.

FM. Even though I have my issues with people wanting FM stuff unrelatable to baseball in OOTP, FM is the gold standard of the genre. You can learn for sure.

Markus Heinsohn 01-23-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 3799784)
FM. Even though I have my issues with people wanting FM stuff unrelatable to baseball in OOTP, FM is the gold standard of the genre. You can learn for sure.

Yes, FM is amazing. If OOTP grows up, it wants to be like FM. Or an astronaut.

The Wolf 01-23-2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 3799778)

Get and play FM. It's just amazing. I have played soccer/association football since boyhood and still do, but I have friends who never played or watched a game before playing FM and who love it and are totally hooked on it anyway.

It's a game no sports gamer should miss.

The Wolf 01-23-2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn (Post 3799787)
Yes, FM is amazing. If OOTP grows up, it wants to be like FM. Or an astronaut.

FM is a much better choice.

Markus Heinsohn 01-23-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 3799792)
FM is a much better choice.

Than an astronaut? Ah come on! :D

jpeters1734 01-23-2015 11:35 AM

Fm is a great game. I just started playing last week and have I have recently been experiencing lost time, lol.

The Wolf 01-23-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

FM. Even though I have my issues with people wanting FM stuff unrelatable to baseball in OOTP

I'm with you on that. They are annoying.

Quote:

FM is the gold standard of the genre.

No doubt about that whatsoever.

The Wolf 01-23-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn (Post 3799794)
Than an astronaut? Ah come on! :D

I know an astronaut well and have friends (and an ex-girlfriend) at NASA. FM is better. :)