OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Talk Sports (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Suspended for body language (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=309637)

Cobra Mgr 01-18-2020 09:50 AM

Suspended for body language

Really?

Reed 01-18-2020 10:00 AM

All of this coming from the player. Would like to hear from the coach and the 2 sisters. May or may not be more to the story.

Ragnar 01-18-2020 10:36 AM

There's only one form of body language that I could think of that would get you suspended. It would also be considered “conduct unbecoming of a member of the team”. Probably responding to a heckler. That's my best guess.

pilight 01-18-2020 11:00 AM

Actually, she flipped off the coach. Pitts was only blindsided because her previous coaches had let her do whatever she wanted. Lindsey Whalen is not that kind of coach.

Reed 01-18-2020 11:25 AM

I read Kirk Hastons book about his time playing at Indiana for B. knight. One day when they came in for practice one of the players found his locker empty except for a tennis racket. The player took the tennis racket out to the gym and asked Knight what was up with that. Knight told him basketball was a team sport but since he refused to play as part of the team, he was off the team and could go play and individual game like tennis. And he was off the team.
Excellent book by the way if you enjoy college basketball.

Cobra Mgr 01-18-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed (Post 4578313)
I read Kirk Hastons book about his time playing at Indiana for B. knight. One day when they came in for practice one of the players found his locker empty except for a tennis racket. The player took the tennis racket out to the gym and asked Knight what was up with that. Knight told him basketball was a team sport but since he refused to play as part of the team, he was off the team and could go play and individual game like tennis. And he was off the team.
Excellent book by the way if you enjoy college basketball.

I found nothing enjoyable about Boob Knight's career except when he got fired.

Cobra Mgr 01-18-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilight (Post 4578303)
Actually, she flipped off the coach. Pitts was only blindsided because her previous coaches had let her do whatever she wanted. Lindsey Whalen is not that kind of coach.

I haven't found anything that said she flipped off the coach. The best clue, if it is one, that I found was a video of her not slapping 5 with the coach during a timeout.

CBeisbol 01-18-2020 01:11 PM

Has the team said anything about the reason for the suspension? Or just Pitts?

It's always amusing, and sad, when people say something like, "this is so stupid. I can't believe it", then the thing turns put to be false, but they believed it

Anyway, I, obviously, have no more information than anyone else about what happened, but, I imagine that, while some body language on its own might merit a suspension, that body language was only part of the reason for this suspension.

pilight 01-18-2020 02:11 PM

Coach Whalen's statement: "I will always respect the privacy of a student-athlete and will continue to do so. We wish Destiny the best moving forward."

Cobra Mgr 01-18-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilight (Post 4578340)
Coach Whalen's statement: "I will always respect the privacy of a student-athlete and will continue to do so. We wish Destiny the best moving forward."

And that tells us what about the situation? It could mean exactly what she says and doesn't dispute what the player says. It could mean the coach's position is indefensible and nothing she says could keep her from coming off like an egotistical power-mad dictator.

Reed 01-18-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr (Post 4578314)
I found nothing enjoyable about Boob Knight's career except when he got fired.

Back in the late 70s my aunt and uncle who are now deceased lived near Danville Indiana. Late one afternoon they were driving on a county road when their car overheated and my uncle pulled over and stopped the car. My uncle was under the hood when a car stopped behind theirs. My uncle looked around the hood and it was Bobby Knight getting out of his car. Bobby Knight came up and asked if there was anything he could do. He waited with them until the car cooled down and he then gave my uncle a couple tickets to a game and left.
Yes, he did some things that he should not have done but he has also done a lot of positive things also.

Cobra Mgr 01-18-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed (Post 4578351)
Back in the late 70s my aunt and uncle who are now deceased lived near Danville Indiana. Late one afternoon they were driving on a county road when their car overheated and my uncle pulled over and stopped the car. My uncle was under the hood when a car stopped behind theirs. My uncle looked around the hood and it was Bobby Knight getting out of his car. Bobby Knight came up and asked if there was anything he could do. He waited with them until the car cooled down and he then gave my uncle a couple tickets to a game and left.
Yes, he did some things that he should not have done but he has also done a lot of positive things also.

I'm sure he wasn't Satan. But behaving like a decent human being 75% of the time doesn't give one license to be a tail end the other 25%. The thing is, he chose to present that evil persona in public. All of the charitable things people say he did were done out of sight. He himself is to blame for how he is perceived in the public eye. He wanted this. I aim to give him exactly what he wanted. Behave like a jerk, he gets thought of as a jerk.

Ragnar 01-19-2020 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr (Post 4578345)
And that tells us what about the situation? It could mean exactly what she says and doesn't dispute what the player says. It could mean the coach's position is indefensible and nothing she says could keep her from coming off like an egotistical power-mad dictator.

I'll stick with my guess. It's the most logical although there could be more to it. "Body language" is a very good way to describe it without actually saying what she did. And if that is the case the coach wouldn't have to say anything. I don't know, I could be completely wrong. I'm just going by how it played out so far.