OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP Mods - Database Tools (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3633)
-   -   Negro League Database (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=262987)

Spritze 03-10-2016 06:02 PM

Negro League Database

I am creating a negro league database and will post my requests for ideas here.

1) OOTP has a downgrade players with less than 300 at bats feature on the create new game advanced options page. Only 140 of the 18,572 player seasons comes in over this threshold due to the much shorter league seasons. Should I take an action step by increasing at bats in some way or leave this as is?

swampdragon 03-10-2016 07:54 PM

Just warn us that we need to reduce that number when we check options. I'd guess 100 AB would be an acceptable level?

Spritze 03-10-2016 09:23 PM

Yup but each gamer can make their own decision of course.

froghair 03-22-2016 11:04 AM

Spritze, with your handle on how databases are used by the game, you might be the only human who can answer this question:

When Negro Leaguers are added -- some or all -- would it be possible in OOTP17 to set up a fictional league (one using a dbse of real players, if I am saying that correctly) where the random-debut player pool consists a) all MLB players/history (~18k), b) all affiliated post-1919 MiLB players (~150k) and c) whatever Negro Lg. players can be created in a file. So in other words, a player pool of 175-200k real players that get used in a league history.

I think this was possible in an MLB-NL-PCL-Japan roster set you created that I used in OOTP16. I'm just trying to see if I can run a league where starting in a given year-forward, all levels of a league with at least some minor league levels can be stocked with this giant pool of real players.

Sorry for the verbose question and clarification .. I'm a noob confused on what is possible with the new MiLB database. Thanks.

Spritze 03-22-2016 11:10 AM

Currently none of that is possible but I am sure Markus is not done yet even if it takes to OOTP18 or 19 to finish off the minor, foreign and negro leagues.

froghair 03-22-2016 11:25 AM

I guess what I don't understand is that the game has the major leaguers .. and the bulk of the minor leaguers .. what prevents the realization of the concept that puts them all together as one player pool to be used in random debut? Just curious.

Spritze 03-22-2016 11:50 AM

It does not happen automagically. Takes programming time away from other things that need doing. The minor leagues cannot leap fully formed to match every possible style of play. Plus many of your data wants do not exist yet. Patience is called for.

jncca1215 03-23-2016 05:33 PM

This is great. Any idea when you expect it to be done?

Spritze 03-23-2016 11:15 PM

A few weeks but it won't be OOTP 17 compatible.

RANGER11JP 03-24-2016 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritze (Post 4006523)
A few weeks but it won't be OOTP 17 compatible.

:(:ohmy::mad::angry::crying:

I think this needs to be re-thunk. The new database system seems to limit much of what we can use and hamper continuing to utilize the fine work you and others have created for past game editions. Your DB where Dickie Flowers can debut in 1856 is outstanding! The fact that I can not use it in this version is mind boggling. I will be patient and hope Markus and company address this at some point. OOTP17 is an amazing achievement overall.

froghair 03-24-2016 12:14 PM

If a Spritze dbse game is started in OOTP 16, can it than be opened in OOTP 17? Seems like I was able to do that in a test this morning.

Spritze 03-24-2016 01:06 PM

Afaik

swampdragon 03-24-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froghair (Post 4006960)
If a Spritze dbse game is started in OOTP 16, can it than be opened in OOTP 17? Seems like I was able to do that in a test this morning.

The key would be whether OOTP 17 could do future imports from that database to advance the game. That would certainly be an easy workaround if possible.

froghair 03-24-2016 01:27 PM

Okay, rookie Q then: where is the Spritze dbse that has the most players from the all-time pool of MLB, PCL, Negro Leagues? That's he one I thought I was testing this morning but I couldn't find any PCL, Negro League guys.

swampdragon 03-24-2016 02:13 PM

I think I got mine at post 783 in the top sticky thread. It doesn't have many Negro League players, but it has the 1903-1912 PCL players. My guess is that the game will transfer to OOTP 17 OK, but that you won't be able to advance the game while pointing to that database for seasons after that.

This was probably inevitable, but the custom databases have been a valuable addition to OOTP. Creating proprietary databases that are incompatible with existing custom databases or future user-made databases removes that valuable resource. Easy moddability has been a key to the success of the OOTP franchise, and this is not a welcome development.

froghair 03-24-2016 05:51 PM

Thanks, Swamp. My Test 16-to-17 Spitze League seems to be working fine in year 2 on OOTP 17. Will keep keep testing.

When downloaded, the database I was using says "Spiritze HS for OOTP16." Anyway I thought there was a near 40,000-man database that includes a decent number of Negro Lg players plus a huge chunk of the PCL (thru the end in the 50s).

MarkInCincy 05-01-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritze (Post 3994790)
I am creating a negro league database and will post my requests for ideas here.

1) OOTP has a downgrade players with less than 300 at bats feature on the create new game advanced options page. Only 140 of the 18,572 player seasons comes in over this threshold due to the much shorter league seasons. Should I take an action step by increasing at bats in some way or leave this as is?

Pro-rate AB/PA to what they would be if they played a 140/154/162 game schedule depending on year OR just prorate all to current 162

MarkInCincy 05-01-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampdragon (Post 4007016)
The key would be whether OOTP 17 could do future imports from that database to advance the game. That would certainly be an easy workaround if possible.

One option might be to copy the Spritze DB files to the default stats directory since it also contains the .odb?

jncca1215 06-10-2016 06:45 PM

How is progress going?

Spritze 06-10-2016 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All done. But not yet tested. I wanted to get a new Spritze database update out. Available on dropbox now. I did not notice any big challenges when I tested this over the last few days. I have been fixing those I did find.

The Negro database may become an addition to the regular OOTP17 in game database.

If not I'll make the players available as part of the Spritze database.

Some of the leagues on this list may be too incomplete to use without a plethora of Joe Unknowns (ghosts) being used so I'll probably just include the players. 3,981 of them.

The Game 06-10-2016 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froghair (Post 4006960)

I have used the 16 DB in 17 but not for an extended league. I have imported many players from his DB into 17 but they seem to suck. Sadaharu Oh is like a .229 hitter with 90 career HR. All *** imports have been bad. neutralized stats. Using his db for my ABF in 16. Gibson had 620 HR and Paige has 360 Wins.

Spritze 06-11-2016 11:35 AM

I do not know what OOTP17 does with players but I think it may have an adjustment that applies to the import of non-mlb players like Oh.

I do not believe this process occurs if the Spritze db is used in place of the standard one as no import occurs.

The Game 06-12-2016 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritze (Post 4048871)
I do not know what OOTP17 does with players but I think it may have an adjustment that applies to the import of non-mlb players like Oh.

I do not believe this process occurs if the Spritze db is used in place of the standard one as no import occurs.

In my ABF league which I rebooted on 16, It is a fictional league with the occasional import, so there is no default DB i am using. I use your DB for non MLB players.

Spritze 06-12-2016 11:01 PM

I checked out Oh

The Japanese leagues had a high number of hits per inning compared to the MLB in most years so Oh gets dinged for that.
Oh had a high number of HR's per game so he gets credit for that.

The meat of his career was when offense took a holiday in the MLB. He gets dinged there as well.

Once all the adjustments are applied he becomes a 500 HR hitter who barely breaks the Mendoza line.

Giants44 07-01-2016 02:28 AM

Sounds like this is likely a v18 thing. I am in the middle of my "better world" historical replay were we somehow abolished world wide racism in 1870 and baseball was open to all from the beginning.

My thought is to manually add in "significant" figures from th negro leagues as well as any from around the world I can think of (Sara ar Oh comes to mind, but I ought to learn to spell his name right first)

My question is do you have a good resource you can point me to that you used for your DB?

Spritze 07-01-2016 11:26 AM

All of the Japanese and Korean players are in the database, significant or not.

There are 425 Negro Leaguers in the database which is most of the significant ones and 3,500 more coming in the next release.

The Negro League data comes from many books and a lot of sites on the internet. No one source has it all. A computer was programmed to use all known data to compile stats that could be used by OOTP to create computerized players that have a skill set that matches their IRL one as closely as currently possible.

I'll probably release a new Spritze database containing all the negro league players this month.

Spritze 07-11-2016 12:06 AM

3,864 Negro League players have been added to the 450 already in the Spritze database.

That gets the database pretty close to the maximum size if not over it.

Batting, Pitching and Fielding records have been added for each year of a players career that I have found anywhere at all on the web, in books and whatnot.

I'll see if it compiles tomorrow. If it does it'll be finished. If it does not I'll need to adjust the compilation process.

mitchkenn 07-11-2016 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritze (Post 4063181)
3,864 Negro League players have been added to the 450 already in the Spritze database.

That gets the database pretty close to the maximum size if not over it.

Batting, Pitching and Fielding records have been added for each year of a players career that I have found anywhere at all on the web, in books and whatnot.

I'll see if it compiles tomorrow. If it does it'll be finished. If it does not I'll need to adjust the compilation process.

Awesome!!!!! and thank you a dozen times .... :)

Spritze 07-11-2016 10:24 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b45ued2yd...OTP17.zip?dl=0

Link to the database is above

txranger 07-11-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritze (Post 4063551)

Is this the link to the one with the additional Negro League players? When I open the master, I can only see the 450 or so that were already included in you db... Thanks

Spritze 07-11-2016 11:24 PM

Yes it is. The college field does not yet contain the "negro leaguer" designation for the new players. I'm filling that in as these players get reviewed.

RANGER11JP 07-12-2016 04:21 AM

Hello Spritze,

What is the status of the debut TEAM for the players? Will the Major Leaguers go to their original team or the one you designated as in earlier renditions of this DB? Could you share the proper settings for getting players to debut as intended as well?

Thanks!

Spritze 07-12-2016 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGER11JP (Post 4063596)
Hello Spritze,

What is the status of the debut TEAM for the players? Free Agents Will the Major Leaguers go to their original team or the one you designated Yes as in earlier renditions of this DB? Could you share the proper settings for getting players to debut as intended as well? I do not understand

Thanks!

More info may be needed on the last question. There are no settings I am aware of.

Do keep in mind that OOTP18 no longer is able to put players on their IRL and/or designated teams. That got broke many builds ago and never got fixed. All you can use is a draft.

Spritze 07-17-2016 08:25 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1q2qd492fy...OTP17.zip?dl=0

Newest version with the accented characters removed from the player names and the thusly newly created duplicate players removed.

The Game 07-18-2016 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritze (Post 4065903)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1q2qd492fy...OTP17.zip?dl=0

Newest version with the accented characters removed from the player names and the thusly newly created duplicate players removed.

This is only Negro leaguers?

mitchkenn 07-18-2016 08:16 AM

no it's his HS db with Negro (and i suspect Japanese). Same as before, but the 3000+ Negro league players without the duplicates. i've downloaded it and played part of a season, and it's definitely not just Negro Leagues.

Spritze 07-18-2016 10:21 AM

No segregation here. Design decision by me.

I'd even include aliens if any played ball.

RANGER11JP 07-19-2016 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritze (Post 4063598)
More info may be needed on the last question. There are no settings I am aware of.

Do keep in mind that OOTP18 no longer is able to put players on their IRL and/or designated teams. That got broke many builds ago and never got fixed. All you can use is a draft.

OOTP18 isn't even out yet and is already broken? I am guessing you mean OOTP17, but I am shocked and appalled that an error such as you referred to has not been addressed. What happened to designating rookies to their IRL teams?

To clarify my question, I wanted to know what settings or Team ID's needed to be set for players to import correctly. Now I'm not sure that is even possible!!!!!

I'm stunned. :ohmy:

The Game 07-19-2016 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritze (Post 4066513)
No segregation here. Design decision by me.

I'd even include aliens if any played ball.

Ok so what is the difference between this and the Spritze 17 DB?

Spritze 07-19-2016 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGER11JP (Post 4066963)
OOTP18 isn't even out yet and is already broken? I am guessing you mean OOTP17, but I am shocked and appalled that an error such as you referred to has not been addressed. What happened to designating rookies to their IRL teams? Does not currently work. It got destroyed a few builds ago.

To clarify my question, I wanted to know what settings or Team ID's needed to be set for players to import correctly. Now I'm not sure that is even possible!!!!! It is not currently possible.

I'm stunned. :ohmy:

I am stunned as well.

Spritze 07-19-2016 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Game (Post 4066966)
Ok so what is the difference between this and the Spritze 17 DB?

Nearly 3,500 negro league players have been added. Most will just be minor league fodder but the stars seem to rise to the top which can make for an interesting alternate history.

cultbuscus 07-22-2016 03:08 AM

Sorry for a non-helpful reply, but the link doesn't seem to work?

Spritze 07-22-2016 03:11 AM

Took it down for a few days due to a database error I made.

It will be back this weekend.

Spritze 07-22-2016 03:05 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3dpdch32l...OTP17.zip?dl=0

Link to the latest version.

mitchkenn 07-22-2016 03:14 PM

you must take a break from work & OOTP sometime, don't you? ..... again, many thanks for this. it is truly appreciated. :thumbup:

JaBurns 07-22-2016 03:47 PM

Should I have more than one folder titled SpritzeHSforOOTP17 in the stats folder? I don't think so but I thought I would ask.....

Spritze 07-22-2016 04:55 PM

I suggest taking the 2 files in the Spritze folder and copying them to the stats folder. They are replacements for what is there.

sprague 07-23-2016 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritze (Post 4068835)
I suggest taking the 2 files in the Spritze folder and copying them to the stats folder. They are replacements for what is there.

I just bring the spritze folder into ootp 17, then navigate betjene his and the original stats database AS needed. Never Had any problems.

PNatsFan703 08-06-2016 11:08 AM

This is a very basic question but how do I import them into a current save???

Spritze 08-06-2016 01:02 PM

I for one do not know because I have never tried this action.