OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Talk Sports (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Should the Braves Bench Acuna? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=307025)

dsvitak 10-04-2019 04:38 PM

Should the Braves Bench Acuna?

We all saw the play. Acuna pulled a Machado, and decided - during a playoff game - that hustling wasn't part of his game.

So...what should the Braves do? Sit him, or continue to look the other way?

I can tell you that reports today are that he will not only play, but he will start at CF, and leadoff.

As a Cardinals' fan, I am just shaking my head. Is it bad for me to hope that this blows up the Braves clubhouse?

Matt Arnold 10-04-2019 04:49 PM

He's their best player, you can't sit him in the playoffs. They just gotta hope that he learns from it and runs the heck out of the ball on every play the rest of the postseason.

dkgo 10-04-2019 04:53 PM

Benching your best player in a near must-win game to send a message is dumb.

Besides now is the game that he's most likely to run out everything

Izz 10-04-2019 05:21 PM

The kid was caught up in the moment, thought he'd hit a playoff homerun. He'll be better from now on.

CBeisbol 10-04-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsvitak (Post 4543672)
Should the Braves Bench Acuna?

LOL, no.

Quote:

As a Cardinals' fan, I am just shaking my head. Is it bad for me to hope that this blows up the Braves clubhouse?
As a Cardinals' fan, you're hoping they bench him
Which should tell you that they shouldn't bench him

It's not like Atlanta would be in a better position if they had a guy hustling out infield singles instead of watching his blasts go off the wall and settling for singles.

Orcin 10-04-2019 05:25 PM

You absolutely have to bench him. The whole organization needs to understand that nobody is bigger than the team. Otherwise, you have no discipline at all and the young players will see that they can get away with anything. Send the appropriate message before people start drinking beer, eating fried chicken, and playing video games in the clubhouse.

Sincerely,
Cardinals fan

David Watts 10-04-2019 05:31 PM

I think in all matters like this, one has to reach out to Franklin Stubbs for advice and guidance.

Cobra Mgr 10-04-2019 05:58 PM

Sitting him punishes the entire team. This is something the front office should get together & come to a consensus on how they will handle this from now on. I understand the upset everyone has over this. I'm apoplectic myself. But right now is not the time to be reactionary. Let's keep in mind the kid is only 21. Most MLB'ers would be in the minors right now getting this out of their system. He has to grow up in front of everybody. But by no means should the Braves management not address this when the season ends & not have a plan of action for the seasons to come.

low 10-04-2019 06:09 PM

If they had any balls they'd bench him. Not going to happen in the postseason, though.

rudel.dietrich 10-04-2019 06:18 PM

He is no Harrison Bader

CBeisbol 10-04-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by low (Post 4543713)
If they had any balls they'd bench him. Not going to happen in the postseason, though.

But they have ovaries and are smart enough not to.

Got to love all the galaxy brains saying, "We need to show this guy how important it is to always try 100%, by not trying 100% and using a worse player"

Like sitting a guy in a playoff game is the only way to make a point to him.

CBeisbol 10-04-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich (Post 4543714)
He is no Harrison Bader

Acuna 5.6 WAR 126 wRC+
Bader 1.8 WAR 81 wRC+

Nope, he's sure not.

But I guess some people would be happier with a guy grounding out to second and running really hard instead of a guy smashing the ball off the wall.

Orcin 10-04-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBeisbol (Post 4543719)
Acuna 5.6 WAR 126 wRC+
Bader 1.8 WAR 81 wRC+

Nope, he's sure not.

But I guess some people would be happier with a guy grounding out to second and running really hard instead of a guy smashing the ball off the wall.

His comment was sarcasm.