OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Perfect Team (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3957)
-   -   Playoffs - Am I missing something? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=302691)

trevwilson 04-28-2019 02:31 PM

Playoffs - Am I missing something?

I was new to OOTP and PT in late March. It has taken me a little while to wrap my mind around how to compete, but I seem to have the regular season (at the lowest levels) figured out. After finishing fifth in my division in 2020, my original f2p team earned a wild card spot the next two years. This past year, I led my iron league with 108 wins. I had spent $20 on my second team. Their first season was 2022. They managed to win 105 games (which they should have - honestly, the whole p2p thing felt a lot dirtier than I thought it would). I elected to go f2p with my third team. They erupted onto the scene with a 103 win season in their first year in the iron league.

I'm not writing all of this to brag. To the contrary, I am writing because I am sure I am doing something wrong. Each of these teams who led the league in wins was either swept or eliminated 3-1 in their first playoff rounds. I've tried leaving the pitching and lineups intact moving forward. I've gone to 3-man rotations and called up extra speed. Nothing has worked. Is there something I am missing?

Warhawk 04-28-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevwilson (Post 4481106)
Is there something I am missing?

Luck, most likely.

old timer 04-28-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhawk (Post 4481107)
Luck, most likely.

My Clippers in PT19 never made it past the divisional round even though they made it to the playoffs 9 times. My Raccoons (in PT20) were the best team in the conference last season and lost (and it wasn't close) in the divisional round. But this season, both my new team (the Mud Hens) and the Raccoons made it to the conference championship. The difference? Luck! Nothing more.

dkgo 04-28-2019 05:44 PM

the lower levels are like 70% teams that aren't actively managed, so anyone attentive can crush them right away at this point. but then in the playoffs you are likely playing someone with a decent team who is putting in the same effort as you so it is just going to be a toss up

Charlatan 04-28-2019 07:44 PM

Shorter series, anything can happen.

HRBaker 04-28-2019 08:51 PM

Yeah, it's frustrating as hell. This week one of my three teams missed a wildcard sport by one game, the second team (100+ wins) lost in the division series 3 games to 1, and the third team (100+ wins) lost in the sub-league series 4 games to 2. And all of these teams lost to inferior teams. The playoffs are a crap shoot... LOL.

CurlyKarkovice 04-29-2019 01:14 PM

Might be cool if they added a percent chance of winning the playoff series in the playoff tree. It could adjust too as the results come in. May help some not feel it's so ridiculous to lose a playoff series if they saw they usually only had a 60% chance going into it and below a 50% chance after losing game 1 etc. etc.

rudel.dietrich 04-29-2019 01:31 PM

Ask Bill Beane how that whole playoffs thing works even if you have good teams.

Very often in baseball the best team does not win the championship.

KWhit 04-29-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich (Post 4481485)
Ask Bill Beane how that whole playoffs thing works even if you have good teams.

Or the Braves.

Cheesehead1964 04-29-2019 04:18 PM

This past week, I had the top record in a bronze league, was up 2-0 in divisional series, then lost the series 2-3. Had another team up 2-0 in the divisional series that also lost 2-3. Both teams were promoted due to a good record, but frustrating.

My third team made the playoffs as a wildcard. And lost the wildcard game, naturally.

Eric 04-29-2019 10:31 PM

With the playoffs, team tend to go with a four man rotation so if you are still trotting out your fifth starter, you maybe at a disadvantage.

One season I was able to sit my star pitcher the last couple of games so he would be fresh for game one. I made it past the first round.