OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3941)
-   -   Should I simulate 20+ years at the beginning of my league? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=293499)

drewandpedey 10-15-2018 02:37 PM

Should I simulate 20+ years at the beginning of my league?

I have my league set up, backed up and ready to go. Should I simulate 20 years to create a history?

GPBBall 10-15-2018 02:53 PM

Same question I have

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

mitchkenn 10-15-2018 09:02 PM

some people say yes - to get a history etc.
others will tell you to make a back-up (just in case) and then start playing from the beginning.
both have merits. i am too impatient, so i just start playing (well i sim all my games as GM). has worked out OK for me. certainly others have views and experience that differs.
basically if you have a back-up for a starting point, use one way and see how it goes. If you don't like it, that league, delete it, restore your original and try something different. (always give your updated back-up a different name than your base or original one i save every month of the game, or each time i exit, and name the back-up file the date of the game). or you can keep both. you can have a variety of games in your saved folder and can bounce back and forth as you try things.

BirdWatcher 10-15-2018 09:48 PM

My sense is that if you asked 10 people here randomly, usually about 8 of them (at least) would say to sim ahead 20 or more seasons to establish a history for your league (and, I suppose, to make sure your settings are yielding the results you are looking for and something isn't fatally flawed.)

But I would be one of the 2 who wouldn't say that. Actually, I'd say do what feels right to you. But I started my OOPT fictional universe from the beginning because I like to be in on the ground floor and I'm a bit of a completist. So if I'm going to engage in a league, if I'm going to take control of a team, I want to be there for all of it.
And that's worked out fine for me so far.

Still, good reasons to do it either way.

Bluenoser 10-16-2018 06:45 AM

It's simple really, ask yourself this question - Do I want to be part of my league's history, or do I just want to look at it after the fact?

Been playing this game since ver 1, have never simmed to get history.

Juggernt 10-16-2018 05:34 PM

I did 25 years and liked the results.

Vezna31 10-16-2018 11:06 PM

There are an indefinite number of choices to make when creating a new league. Try them all. Variety is the spice of life.

Germaniac 10-17-2018 02:13 AM

We had a poll on that in the "General Discussions"-board a few months ago with a wide range of opinions.

There is no "right" or "wrong" on this topic ... a lot of guys sim 50 to 100 seasons to have a solid history to their league. I tried this and it didn't work as I completely lost interest after I had simmed 50 seasons.

So I tried to start with Day 1 of the league and it worked perfectly for me - I simply like how the league develops.

You will need to find out yourself what suits you best.

stevem810 10-23-2018 12:18 AM

My preference is to start without simming some history. I like making my own. The players have more familiarity if I observe from the beginning.