OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP Mods (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3693)
-   -   OOTP Storylines Editor: Community Edition (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=219834)

ootpFox07 04-13-2012 03:54 PM

OOWP Module: Storylines Editor: Community Edition

I am very, very happy to announce the launch of my newest web mod for OOTP, the

OOTP Storylines Editor: Community Edition.

Hoping to improve the authoring/editing experience of OOTP’s highly revered but often misunderstood feature, Storylines, I reached out to Andreas recently to see if he would be OK with me building an open source tool based on the editor used by the beta team to construct storylines, the SLE. The great news is that he accepted and the editor is in development!

This tool will be a plug-in module for my recently launched Fox Open Sports Platform (FOSP) meaning that it requires an installation of the FOSP to work. That’s no biggie though as the FOSP is easy to install and use and greatly helps mod coders speed development of tools like this.

Features:
  • User friendly UI based on the open source Twitter Boostrap Library
  • Browse listings of storylines with pagination
  • Filter by publish status, category or author
  • Manage statuses from the main index page (depending on permissions)
  • Create and edit storylines
  • Create and edit articles for storylines
  • Manage conditions and results in user friendly pop-up windows
  • Ajax enabled to allow for conditions, triggers, data objects and results to be added without leaving the storyline/article your working on
  • Export storylines for use in the game as XML. SQL and JSON formats also available
  • Web based management of supporting data such as required data objects, triggers, conditions, results and tokens
  • Add comments to storylines and articles via my companion Bonfire::Comments module
  • All source code hosted on Github.com to enable contributions by others in the community.

Download:

Version 0.3 is available as part of the FOSP 0.3 Beta download. It was released on Monday October 28, 2013.

How-To’s/Documentation

I’ll try to get a user guide cobbled together once the development cycle is complete (anyone who might want to help, please ping me), but Cody has already offered to create video tutorials once this is up and running, so stay tuned for those.

Feedback/Bug Reports

If you find bugs in the editor or you have a suggestion or feature request, please log them on the projects Issues page on github.com. You will need a Github account to do so.

https://github.com/jfox015/OOTP-Storylines/issues

For Coders

Interested in looking at the source code and maybe hacking on it a bit? The full source is available on GitHub.com at https://github.com/jfox015/OOTP-Storylines. If you want to help contribute coding wise to the effort and are new or unfamiliar with Github, I highly recommend following the bootcamp tutorial on getting started. Git is not a hard version control tool and well worth having in your toolkit.

A module development tutorial is available to show how to get started with coding and contributing using the FOSP's parent library, Bonfire.

Any questions, please feel free to post them here. I will update this thread with more information as it becomes available. Updates will also be avilable on my development blog and my Twitter feed.

ootpFox07 04-16-2012 12:30 PM

Just a quick update here. Development progressed very well this weekend and I am 99.5% feature complete (there are two bugs lingering I can't debug until later). Screen grabs will be posted later tonight and a public demo and initial code release will happen either tomorrow as well or Wednesday.

ootpFox07 04-18-2012 07:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quick Update. Development is done for a beta release. as I'll be offline for about the next week, the SLE is in the hands of the beta team to review for now. A formal beta release will be next week.

In the mean time, attached are a few screen grabs.

ootpFox07 05-03-2012 03:42 PM

First post updated to reflect this modules part of the newly announced OOTP Open Web platform.

kingcharlesxii 05-03-2012 04:14 PM

This tool looks pretty useful!

Will it be able to run without being installed on a website? I unfortunately do not have a web host at this time and probably won't anytime soon.

ootpFox07 05-03-2012 04:56 PM

Thanks. It does require the larger FOSP to work (it gains user access, permissions, db access and more from the Bonfire library which is the basis of the platform) so a web server is required.

Once the dust settles on the release, I planned to reach out to Andreas and or Charlie Hough at ootpmods.com to see about creating some type of cooperative community accessible site based around the editor.

kingcharlesxii 05-03-2012 05:14 PM

That would be great, thanks for all the work and the quick response!

Spindel 05-09-2012 09:33 AM

This looks really awesome. You are doing some excellent work.

Mantush 08-22-2013 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ootpFox07 (Post 3314975)
Thanks. It does require the larger OOWP to work (it gains user access, permissions, db access and more from the Bonfire library which is the basis of the platform) so a web server is required.

Once the dust settles on the release, I planned to reach out to Andreas and or Charlie Hough at ootpmods.com to see about creating some type of cooperative community accessible site based around the editor.

How is this coming along?

joefromchicago 08-27-2013 08:34 AM

Looks like this project has stalled. No updates in a long time, and some links are dead. Has there been any progress on this?

ootpFox07 09-08-2013 10:23 PM

Hi guys. This tool was part of my Fox Open Sports Platform library, which I unfortunately have put on indefinite hold. The framework I built the platform on is in a state of serious flux right now so I decided to hold off on further development. The demand for the library was next to nothing so there wasn't much motivation to continue.

The Storyline editor did, however, receive a few updates to make it compatible with OOTP 14 storyline changes when the game came out in April. They were never formally released though they were publicly posted and could be downloaded from the Github repository site. If you were to download the OOWP and simply replace the storyline module with the latest code you downloaded on Github, it will create OOTP 14 compatible storylines.

Sorry to say there is no ongoing effort to continue developing this tool on my part, but the code is on Github and is readily available for anyone to grab and continue building if they like.

ootpFox07 10-29-2013 10:36 AM

Ok, spoke too soon.

Version 0.3 of the editor is available with the 0.3 release of my Open Sports Platform.

It's now compatible with OOTP 14 storyline changes and includes a new article preview tool.

Fox Open Sports Platform Download page

PSUColonel 10-29-2013 12:18 PM

I am assuming this doesn't not work with mac?

ootpFox07 10-29-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 3594010)
I am assuming this doesn't not work with mac?

It's web based so it runs on a web server. once it's loaded, it works on all browsers and platforms. Any issues, log a bug and let me know though.

gbwitheyes 05-12-2014 05:04 PM

Does this still live? If so, is there a link to the tool referenced in this thread? Is this a tool specifically targeting online leagues or will it work for individuals?

Thanks

ootpFox07 05-13-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbwitheyes (Post 3695509)
Does this still live? If so, is there a link to the tool referenced in this thread? Is this a tool specifically targeting online leagues or will it work for individuals?

Thanks

I've shifted my focus to other matters so I'm not actively developing this anymore, but this tool is still out there to download and use. It's not exclusively for online or desktop, but it is web based so it requires a web server to run. It comes with the Fox Open Sports platform as a standard component. Install the FOSP and your ready to create and publish storylines. I do not have a user manual or documentation unfortunately so it's kind of a try and figure it out tool.

ctorg 05-14-2014 05:16 PM

Is there a storyline editor that doesn't require a web server to be set up? Something simple?

I actually don't mind editing the code directly, but I don't know all the tags, and I don't know how to implement certain things (like storylines with multiple possible outcomes).

ootpFox07 05-17-2014 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctorg (Post 3696590)
Is there a storyline editor that doesn't require a web server to be set up? Something simple?

I actually don't mind editing the code directly, but I don't know all the tags, and I don't know how to implement certain things (like storylines with multiple possible outcomes).

At the moment, no. There's no desktop version like say Lighthousekeepers stats tool. Andreas wrote the original storyline editor for the beta team (also web based) and I created mine as a more general user friendly (and open sourced, community driven) version.

The XML is actually not the worst to figure out if you have experience working with web development or XML itself, but we don't really have anything comprehensive in terms of documentation for the storyline format or this editor. Guys like myself, Muzamba and Cody all just really spent a lot of time figuring it all out so I hoped my editor would help people have any easy way around having to do that.

Since there is no central story line server right now, I'm actually fine with people using the Demo site to try things out and make storylines. You can either register yourself on the site or shoot me a PM and I'll add you as a user with permissions to access the editor. Maybe if enough people start to use it and ask questions, we can sort of build a user guide out of that.

The demo web site access is email demo@user.com and password demoUser01.

-Fox

BaseballLife322 07-14-2014 05:15 PM

Is this still going on? Would like to see some different StoryLines.. I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, but I RARELY see any storylines(creative ones)