OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Perfect Team (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3957)
-   -   Season 26 (2044) Discussion Thread (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=306637)

Westheim 09-16-2019 09:41 AM

Season 26 (2044) Discussion Thread

1 Attachment(s)
Here it goes.

This will be the Raccoons' 17th and last season in Perfect. Two teams with almost all-perfect rosters, and another one that isn't but still clearly better. Dan Brouthers be damned - that's the end of them.

No changes at all for the Rebels, thanks to rotten pack luck and a Game 5 loss in the LDS.

The Accountants poked around their pitching some more, adding Charlie Morton. Still not happy with my arrangements at short, catcher, center, and the entire pen.

Matt Arnold 09-16-2019 09:53 AM

I didn't check up on my 2nd roster last week, so was shocked this morning to see they made it to game 7 of the Diamond Finals. So they're probably going to get beat up a little in Perfect, but some quick settings changes and they're in the same league with my main team (and Rich's squad). I know they're going to fight like hell when they play their "big brother" this season!

Thornbreaker 09-16-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westheim (Post 4537048)
No changes at all for the Rebels, thanks to rotten pack luck and a Game 5 loss in the LDS.

If it makes you feel better, I pulled 20 packs this weekend on the gorillas and only landed two live diamonds and 2 barely golds. Might get 15k back from the diamonds, but I landed Springer and Sale. Springer looks like a better backup than Acuna thanks to his late season run, and might as well see how Sale does for a week or two, since he's at 98.

Marleigh 09-16-2019 11:04 AM

Paragon City Heroes added pitching mainly, 89 Maddux has been upgraded to the 92, I packed Three Finger Brown from a diamond collection pack and picked up a fairly cheap Tim Belcher to get the Tim Leary collection card. Cool Papa Bell comes into the squad as a backup OF/pinch running threat

Bad News Bulldogs season should be better than last, I bought an actual starting rotation featuring SE Pedro and SE Seaver, though the first half may be a struggle as we have 2 IF learning new positions, in the OF we will have Greenwell, Piersall, Aaron. if my 91 Sosa sells i'll waste the PP on packs

Neuman Furshlugginers are virtually unchanged, Jerry Reuss comes in as 5th starter for Tex Carleton and Pete Hill comes in as a lefty platoon with Ellis Burks at LF

dancariaz 09-16-2019 11:20 AM

Changing things up a bit this season for science, going for an all-righties roster (both pitching and hitting) and adjusted my ballpark to favor righties. Unfortunately my division is probably the toughest I've ever seen in gold with several perfect righty starters and hitters, so I don't expect super good results. Finishing above .500 is the goal.

macacks 09-16-2019 11:46 AM

A tough Perfect League last year with two multiple PL champions and Coming out of a gruelling 1-run game 7 loss (after being up 3-2) in the PL finals against one of the two 131 Win teams...the Warbirds are now facing to more multiple PL teams (410)...this time in their own division.
Combined 13 PL titles in the Division and 20 in the conference.

Changes: Added some defence and offence.
Replaced Gherig with Yas
Trout with Dimaggio 99
Some depth in a Gold Ichiro (needs training)

After a nice couple of pulls on some duplicates I have quite a few PP (250K to get a Pitcher...Packs or AH???

looking for magic!

Westheim 09-16-2019 12:07 PM

Before the games even began I popped a 1978 Rollie Fingers from a pack for one of the new missions, and he replaced Knebel on the Raccoons. It won't save us, but I really prefer balanced old-timey relievers to today's 120/45/45 disfigurements.

Orcin 09-16-2019 12:29 PM

The Colonels start the week with a few changes. Thanks to everyone that took time to give me some advice yesterday. I enjoy tinkering and changing things to see what happens, so it was great to get some fresh ideas. I listened to all of it and implemented all that was possible. There are more additions to come, but the timing depends upon the auction house.

First of all, we have a new middle infield with emphasis on OBP and defense as opposed to SLG and speed. SE Luke Appling will be training at second base and batting leadoff (thanks for pointing him out, old timer). Jackie Robinson will be relocated to the bench to serve as a backup for 1B/2B/3B. Phil Rizzuto will finally get his shot to earn the full-time starting job at shortstop. Honus Wagner was sold last night after weeks of speculation that his time in Louisville was coming to an end (thanks for the confirmation, pappyzan).

I enjoyed having the perfect Wagner card but it was a lot of points allocated to a player that was inconsistent and never great at anything. I also believe strongly in having a defensive shortstop and Wagner never played well enough there to satisfy me. I haven't spent the points yet, but I am sure that I can put them to good use. If Rizzuto doesn't pan out, I could be looking for another shortstop (candidates include that shiny new Boudreau, the Wizard, and Dahlen).

I swapped positions with my corner infielders again, moving Boggs to 3B and Brett to 1B. I have tried it both ways and I feel the overall defense is slightly better this way. Robinson can backup both spots but I will likely play Jackie at 3B and shift Boggs to 1B when Brett is resting. For the majority of the season, Robinson will also be a late-inning defensive replacement at 2B (until Appling is fully trained to 90 there).

I am still sitting on that pile of points (even bigger now) and I am more determined than ever to add another top starter or two, and perhaps another late-inning bullpen arm. I am convinced that strong pitching is the way to win in the post-season, and I need to give Young and Schilling some help (thanks, old timer). However, you can't buy what isn't available, and the release of more missions today will make the AH a crap shoot this week. Patience is needed. I won't pay the early adopter premium for Waddell, but maybe some of the more established pitchers will be on sale to raise points for new missions.

Finally, scoring at Eclipse Park in Louisville should be up a little this year with an upward tweak in BAVG and XBH factors (thanks for the suggestion, brrrdt1). I think my pitching staff will strong enough to convert this to an increase in run differential at home, and give me an advantage in a playoff series against weaker pitching.

I hope that I can remain patient and give these changes time to settle in, avoiding my usual mid-week panic. I also hope that everyone has a great week!

Magus978 09-16-2019 01:55 PM

The Steelport Saints just became my new main team. It's a story of risk and reward. Sit down and I'll tell ya all about it. :D

In the frenzy that is collections today, the Saints sold their peak Bert Blyleven for 85k (77k after tax), and gambled on 77 packs. What should come out was this man, who looks absolutely stunning in Third Street Saints purple.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...779&height=527

Cy Young has come to town, to help establish the Third Street Saints as the best baseball team in the lower levels. :p

Let's go. :D

Argonaut 09-16-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magus978 (Post 4537168)
The Steelport Saints just became my new main team. It's a story of risk and reward. Sit down and I'll tell ya all about it. :D

In the frenzy that is collections today, the Saints sold their peak Bert Blyleven for 85k (77k after tax), and gambled on 77 packs. What should come out was this man, who looks absolutely stunning in Third Street Saints purple.

Cy Young has come to town, to help establish the Third Street Saints as the best baseball team in the lower levels. :p

Let's go. :D

For someone who's arch-nemesis seems to be RNGjesus, you have the best pack luck in OOTP history. Congrats!

old timer 09-16-2019 03:05 PM

We've now lost 5 straight (2-5), including 4 to a whale called Westvleteren XII. They were one of the whales in that league we were in for 2 seasons, but I don't remember playing them before. We get to play them 10 times this month (They're in our division - Yay! We get to be a WC this year!) so I'm not expecting us to have the best April. Also, I'm trying to train Appling at 2B and Ruth at 1B so that's not going to help (though I did decide to use custom lineups for this one team so they're not training when we play them).

They're doing something with their pitching that I saw another whale do before and I'm not sure how they're doing it. Maybe someone here can tell me? They've got an all LHP starting rotation, but they only pitch 2-3 innings. Then the RHP relievers takeover, including perfect Young, Johnson, Maddux, Walsh and Eck in addition to Coveleski and Hoyt. You know, the usual guys you expect to see in someone's bullpen.

They don't have any pitch counts set (unless this is hidden from us?) so how do they get their LHP to pitch only 2-3 innings? If it were an opener-follower being used, then the AI should use my RHP lineup, but it uses my LHP lineup so that's not it. So to counter this, I just used a custom lineup against them. But I'm curious how they're doing this?

X3NEIZE 09-16-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old timer (Post 4537198)
We've now lost 5 straight (2-5), including 4 to a whale called Westvleteren XII. They were one of the whales in that league we were in for 2 seasons, but I don't remember playing them before. We get to play them 10 times this month (They're in our division - Yay! We get to be a WC this year!) so I'm not expecting us to have the best April. Also, I'm trying to train Appling at 2B and Ruth at 1B so that's not going to help (though I did decide to use custom lineups for this one team so they're not training when we play them).

They're doing something with their pitching that I saw another whale do before and I'm not sure how they're doing it. Maybe someone here can tell me? They've got an all LHP starting rotation, but they only pitch 2-3 innings. Then the RHP relievers takeover, including perfect Young, Johnson, Maddux, Walsh and Coveleski, Hoyt and Eck. You know, the usual guys you expect to see in someone's bullpen.

They don't have any pitch counts set (unless this is hidden from us?) so how do they get their LHP to pitch only 2-3 innings? If it were an opener-follower being used, then the AI should use my RHP lineup, but it uses my LHP lineup so that's not it. So to counter this, I just used a custom lineup against them. But I'm curious how they're doing this?

Pitch count is hidden :) I did that many times and it works... get your best starters (RHP) on your pen, you're going to need 6-7 and get 4 amazing LHP, limit their pitch count to 20-30, have your best pitchers set as emergency starters. It really does work ;)

old timer 09-16-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X3NEIZE (Post 4537200)
Pitch count is hidden :) I did that many times and it works... get your best starters (RHP) on your pen, you're going to need 6-7 and get 4 amazing LHP, limit their pitch count to 20-30, have your best pitchers set as emergency starters. It really does work ;)

Thanks! I didn't realize pitch counts were hidden. Well, custom lineups can be used against this, but with a pitching staff like they've got, I don't think it really makes a difference against a team like mine. My vs LHP lineup is about as good at hitting RHP as LHP, but I still like to have the option of having things the way I want. Plus, their pitching is so dominant, my ideal lineup against them still won't usually fair that well.

X3NEIZE 09-16-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old timer (Post 4537202)
Thanks! I didn't realize pitch counts were hidden. Well, custom lineups can be used against this, but with a pitching staff like they've got, I don't think it really makes a difference against a team like mine. My vs LHP lineup is about as good at hitting RHP as LHP, but I still like to have the option of having things the way I want. Plus, their pitching is so dominant, my ideal lineup against them still won't usually fair that well.

I actually haven't seen his team, I did chat with him a couple of times on discord, very nice guy, smart player.... but so are you, you'll find a way to counter him.

Westheim 09-16-2019 03:18 PM

Since I still can’t sell the Edgar Martinez I drew a while ago, I haven’t been able to collect enough funds for another big opening, but after divesting the second Ken Giles card I managed to buy (don’t ask, thx) at a reasonable price, I got to buy another 33 cards.

Maybe I can finally pull a historical perfect friend for Big Walt!

Listed are again only cards of gold+ for live versions, and no bronze cards for historicals, except where there are “circumstances”. Cards with * were already lying around somewhere.

+++

(42) – RP Mitch Harris – 2015 Unsung Heroes
(57) – 2B Joe Panik – 2014 Unsung Heroes *

(73) – SP Matt Cain – 2009 All Star *
(73) – CL Greg Minton – 1982 All Star
(76) – CL Scott Williamson – 1999 Rookie Sensation
(79) – SP Marcus Stroman – 2019 All Star – (that must be the first All Star card I actually drew…)

(80) – SP Jose Quintana – Live *
(82) – DH Shohei Ohtani – Live *
(85) – CF Ketel Marte – Live

+++

Well. That was a tire fire to the tune of 27k points.

I feel dizzy. I have to lie down now.

Nero 09-16-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old timer (Post 4537202)

I ran into a couple of teams like that last season, and it was interesting to see Cy Young win reliever of the year with a 30-1 record, and as one of two 30 win pitchers in his bullpen. First time I've run into it, and like you, I don't think it was a line-up issue for me, it's just a ton of superior pitching, and he'd have been just as good running out any of them as starters.

scott1964 09-16-2019 04:27 PM

Really :rolleyes::p:ohmy::crying:
https://i.postimg.cc/bYn7D1pN/really.jpg

chazzycat 09-16-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X3NEIZE (Post 4537200)

Pitch counts aren't hidden though. Not for your starting rotation at least...just glancing around my league I can clearly see some in place. Are your LHP starting the games somehow without being listed in the rotation?

X3NEIZE 09-16-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chazzycat (Post 4537232)
Pitch counts aren't hidden though. Not for your starting rotation at least...just glancing around my league I can clearly see some in place. Are your LHP starting the games somehow without being listed in the rotation?

They are, or at least that’s what we concluded ... when I set this up , no one else can see my pitch count ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chazzycat 09-16-2019 04:32 PM

Interesting...would you mind sharing a screenshot of your pitching setup when you have the chance?