OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   FHM - Public Beta Test (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3859)
-   -   Head coaches (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=228865)

Blitzburger 03-06-2013 02:21 AM

Head coaches

From what I understand, there was a decision to take out Head Coaches for player-run teams to streamline the game. While I'm really liking the potential of FHM ( it looks like it's going to be exactly what I hoped it would) I've got to say, not allowing us to hire Head Coaches is weak.

Playing as a GM only, it feels weird and wrong to leave all the coaching decisions to an assistant coach. Choosing the right coach should be a big part of running your team, as should being able to fire him if things aren't working out.

Please, please re-consider allowing Head Coaches for player-run teams :(

Maplicito 03-06-2013 05:44 AM

I have to say I agree. From what I've seen, it also seems that the assistants won't change the lineup - if a player is injured, I have to scratch him from the roster myself, the assistant won't scratch him and dress someone else. He also won't scratch someone playing poorly and dress someone else. I'm fine with being the one to place someone on the injured list, but I'm not looking to change who dresses and who doesn't.

I don't know if that is something that will change on further builds, or if it was intended that we play a much more involved role as the coach - but personally, I was looking to be the Franchise Manager, not the Franchise Coach.

duari91 03-06-2013 02:36 PM

I must say, I have to agree as well.

This was one of the most important parts of EHM 2007 to me. Finding that special Head Coach could turn some things around for my struggling team at times. The same goes with promotions. I would usually hire assistant coaches that would success my retiring head coach in that case.

Instant Classic 03-06-2013 03:35 PM

Have to agree with the above mentioned too, I'm sure somewhere down the line this may change but it seems to be less realistic and as duari91 has said above, it was one of the aspects I enjoyed from EHM 2007. Being able to fire the coach when your team is doing poorly to change momentum then bringing in your own guy who could potentially turn things around was ace.

sizzlingpopcorn 03-06-2013 03:46 PM

I like the hiring/firing of head coaches also. Sometimes in EHM I'd have one and other times I'd take the reigns over myself.

Peter10 03-06-2013 05:08 PM

Was just about to post on the same topic, so i fully agree on this one.

Hocky201 03-06-2013 05:09 PM

Agreed, I don't get that....in OOTP even if you managed games yourself you still had a manager.

Sebmono 03-13-2013 08:30 AM

I realize that this is probably beating a dead horse at this point, but I wanted to through my hat in as well, please bring back head coaches for player run teams. From a realism/simulation perspective this seems like a must. From a playability perspective it also seems key since even though you can have the assistant coach take care of tasks for you, you most likely won't be able to hire the best coaches available into assistant positions since they would be looking for HC jobs. Was really sad to take over the caps and see Adam Oates sitting in the jobless pool...

SushamiBoy 03-13-2013 02:52 PM

I must agree. The amounts of times that the tides changed in my games because of a well timed sacking/hiring are countless in my EHM games. Even though I'm not his biggest fan, I was excited to see what Therrien would bring to my Habs.

On a side note, this may have been addressed, but why does my starting staff for the Habs all have attributes at 0. Kinda sad to have to sack our real life goaltending coach because he actually has 0 in coaching tenders.

Alessandro 03-13-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SushamiBoy (Post 3462464)

On a side note, this may have been addressed, but why does my starting staff for the Habs all have attributes at 0. Kinda sad to have to sack our real life goaltending coach because he actually has 0 in coaching tenders.

This will be addressed later on, proper staff research hasn't started yet.

SushamiBoy 03-13-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandro (Post 3462471)
This will be addressed later on, proper staff research hasn't started yet.

Oh perfect! Thanks for the update :)

dave1927p 03-13-2013 06:59 PM

when head coaches are implemented i would like to see the league history working too...and please include coaches and GMs in history so we can be checking on leaders in those ranks.

sprague 03-14-2013 02:23 PM

I think it would be a mistake to have a set up where one is the gm of the Montreal Canadiens, but not have the choice of Scotty Bowman to coach, or the Bruins and not have Don Cherry simply because the game has no space for them.

That should be an option. Like in ootp, if I really wanted myself to be the manager, I can create a fictional manager and hire myself. But if I am the GM of the Yankees and want Girardi to manage I should have that option. A similar setup means nothing in the actual game play, just gives a coach to appear on our personnel screen.
But it adds more realism

gekkoguy82 03-14-2013 04:23 PM

I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus in favor of coaches. They're such a huge part of the sport, it is odd not to have them present in the game. Hopefully we'll see them implemented in a future update! :cool:

Flyers Gunner 03-14-2013 06:45 PM

I like it. I prefer to manage and coach the squad (I primarily play FM), but for a hockey game, I'd be more inclined to manage personnel and let the coach take care of games.

shaken_bacon 03-15-2013 06:07 AM

Yep, agreed. I'm not Pat Quinn! I can't GM and coach! I want to be just the GM.

:)

Pretecf 03-15-2013 01:27 PM

Without a graphical representation of game play, immersion is lost unless the ability to hire a head coach is included. It is needed.

anguscl 03-19-2013 01:05 PM

And for the coaches to to have different styles, either defensive or offensive..or something in between...

So yes, add my vote to the necessity of head coaches.

geckon 03-19-2013 01:16 PM

I added some ideas regarding personnel and head coaches into internal tool for tracking requests. But still this depends on developers' decision.

EDIT: More ideas here: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...personnel.html

Claude Luster 08-16-2013 10:31 PM

Just got in today. Couldn't find a way to sign any Head Coach. When I start a game I'm listed as GM and Head Coach...would very much like to be able to have a head coach in charge of things.