OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3858)
-   -   OOTP vs. FM Revisited (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=235656)

ukhotstove 12-13-2013 10:15 AM

I'd love to know what the reason is as well, I used to be really into FM until a few years back when the fictional bug with OOTP grabbed me then I also tried to do fictional with FM but to load my Skelphland world into FM would be too time consuming or impossible. I also found the OOTP boards to be more friendlier and helpful than the FM boards, not been on the FM boards for a year or two so that may have changed.

MUFC1878 12-13-2013 06:29 PM

They said the most interesting aspect of the game was the young players coming up, real and regens. Developing them into world class players and seeing which one flops or succeeds. Historical would lose this since we'd know how those young players will develop. I think it's a silly excuse, and they seem to not even consider other options like in OOTP.

I'd love to see historical only for other styles of play. Using a libero, playing Total Football, or playing as the '67 Celtics or a Derby County where Clough never left. So many other reasons why people would play the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukhotstove (Post 3614013)
I used to be really into FM until a few years back when the fictional bug with OOTP grabbed me then I also tried to do fictional with FM but to load my Skelphland world into FM would be too time consuming or impossible.

I added a fictional team in FM11. That felt like a part-time job at the time.

dave1927p 12-26-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cras (Post 3559313)
I love OOTP, but FM is a more complete sim. Yeah it does serve a different purpose, but it does a better job.

That doesn't mean OOTP doesn't do its job, infact OOTP does it very well, FM is just even better. The players feel alive, there is press to deal with, other members of your staff, owners, directors, you get the feel for the ebb and flow of a season, you have your own career to worry about. It really is a very well made game, and it took many years for it to become what it is.

FM portrays the business side of the sporting world much better than OOTP does. It really isn't something OOTP has focused on much so hopefully they will soon.

The Wolf 12-26-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave1927p (Post 3619324)
FM portrays the business side of the sporting world much better than OOTP does. It really isn't something OOTP has focused on much so hopefully they will soon.

I want more baseball stuff (winter leagues, improved spring training, etc.) and better AI and think we have more than enough of the business end of things.

PSUColonel 12-23-2015 05:14 PM

Now that we are several versions removed from this discussion, I thought it would be fun to ressurect this old thread. I have both OOTP 16 and FM 2016, and I have to say they are simply both great sports sims. Not sure I am able to choose one or the other. OOTP's AI has grown by leaps and bounds and it's gameplay is second to none. The interface still feels a bit more clunky than Fm's, and I still think there are a lot of details OOTP can add, but it is a real great game.

Basebrah 12-23-2015 08:04 PM

The only two sport sims I play these days. I love FM and would love to see team talks and media interaction in OOTP. Team morale is such a big part of managing and FM just nailed it.