OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   FHM 6 - General Discussion (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3971)
-   -   Too many shots on goal (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=307577)

Gerry58 10-19-2019 04:39 AM

Too many shots on goal

Just had a game in my 82/83 historical season and a team had 64 SOG. I remember this being a problem with other versions too and i thought it was fixed

Alessandro 10-19-2019 07:13 AM

With all the due respect, one game is certainly not enough of a sample to jump to conclusions

eldur00 10-19-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry58 (Post 4549911)
Just had a game in my 82/83 historical season and a team had 64 SOG. I remember this being a problem with other versions too and i thought it was fixed

It's one game. Ron Tugnutt says hi and raises you a dozen more shots.

Adam B 10-19-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry58 (Post 4549911)

As others have pointed out, one game isn't a big sample size. But there's other factors like your tactics can affect how many shots you're giving up (as well as how good your team is).

But for the record, the average team in the NHL in 1982/83 season gave up 2,444 shots against in the year. On an 80 game schedule, that's a little over 30.5 shots a game.

I'm going to say you'll likely fall in somewhere around there by the end of the year, but if it's drastically higher, we'd probably want to see exactly what's going on.

Gerry58 10-20-2019 04:43 AM

It's not only one game, just had another one with 67, and another with 59. I'm checking only my team (Boston) so who knows what happened in ather games. The examples you made are ALL TIME record in over 100 years of nhl history and in my first run with the game i almost broke it

Alessandro 10-20-2019 05:49 AM

If you played a full season, you can post the season total and the guys can see if there's anything wrong. A few games aren't a sample big enough, otherwise you look like Sabres' GM yelling at the game engine because Kasparaitis scored in OT in the playoffs. Kasparaitis never scores, right?

Gerry58 10-20-2019 06:41 AM

just completed the 83/84 season with the Bruins: the team leader in Shots are the Oilers with 3817, the Bruins had 3018 (38 per game). In real life the Oilers had 2611 shots and the Bruins 2397

JeffR 10-20-2019 01:47 PM

The leaguewide shot numbers for 83-84 aren't too far off, so it looks like this is likely mainly a ratings issue - I've made a few teams too good, and/or some too weak. It can be a little difficult to separate player performance on really good teams from the effect of having good teammates, and if I'm too generous, the effects tend to stack up and make the team even better than it actually was. The mid-80's Oilers and early-80's Islanders in the game are two of the more obvious cases. I'll do some re-rating to try to get them a little closer in line with reality.

GoLeafsGo 10-20-2019 03:30 PM

In my 86-87 season the Oilers only lost 3 games and had 200 more goals than second best and averaged almost 20 shots more per game than second best. They were pretty good though haha.

Gerry58 10-25-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffR (Post 4550360)
The leaguewide shot numbers for 83-84 aren't too far off, so it looks like this is likely mainly a ratings issue - I've made a few teams too good, and/or some too weak. It can be a little difficult to separate player performance on really good teams from the effect of having good teammates, and if I'm too generous, the effects tend to stack up and make the team even better than it actually was. The mid-80's Oilers and early-80's Islanders in the game are two of the more obvious cases. I'll do some re-rating to try to get them a little closer in line with reality.

Do you think something could be done in time for the next patch? Started the 84/85 season and after 14 games the oilers are averaging 50 shots per game. This take away all the fun from the game

JeffR 10-25-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry58 (Post 4552046)
Do you think something could be done in time for the next patch? Started the 84/85 season and after 14 games the oilers are averaging 50 shots per game. This take away all the fun from the game

I've been working on it, going to test the new data next week. That version will probably be in the next update, if more changes are needed after that I'll keep adjusting.

Gerry58 10-25-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffR (Post 4552074)
I've been working on it, going to test the new data next week. That version will probably be in the next update, if more changes are needed after that I'll keep adjusting.

OK thanks

JeffR 10-29-2019 09:08 PM

Update on this: in 84-85, the rest of the league is a little better balanced now, but the Oilers are still way too far out in front. Most of it seems to be coming from their top guys, so I'm going to have to take them down a little more, probably trading off shot accuracy vs. frequency to see if I can get them to shot less often but keep their G/A totals where they should be. The first round of changes will be in the next update, but those later ones will probably have to wait for the one after that.

Gerry58 02-07-2020 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffR (Post 4553857)
Update on this: in 84-85, the rest of the league is a little better balanced now, but the Oilers are still way too far out in front. Most of it seems to be coming from their top guys, so I'm going to have to take them down a little more, probably trading off shot accuracy vs. frequency to see if I can get them to shot less often but keep their G/A totals where they should be. The first round of changes will be in the next update, but those later ones will probably have to wait for the one after that.

Hi Jeff any news on this after the latest patch?