OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   My whole game forever is gone. I forced quit and now it's gone. (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=305186)

cubfan1109 07-14-2019 11:23 AM

My whole game forever is gone. I forced quit and now it's gone.

Please help!!!!!

cubfan1109 07-14-2019 11:31 AM

I really don't know what to do. I've been playing it for four years and it seems to all be gone. Please help me.

PocketsAintFull 07-14-2019 12:15 PM

That sucks, hopefully someone can help you :(

Bluenoser 07-14-2019 12:17 PM

Just restore from your latest backup. You do backup your league regularly I hope, especially with that much time invested.

Is the .lg folder still in the saved games folder?

cubfan1109 07-14-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenoser (Post 4514730)
Just restore from your latest backup. You do backup your league regularly I hope, especially with that much time invested.

Is the .lg folder still in the saved games folder?

To be honest, I always saved within the game (several times per day), but never knew to back it up. Is there any other way?

mitchkenn 07-14-2019 01:46 PM

maybe maybe maybe this could help;

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...66&postcount=8

Bluenoser 07-14-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubfan1109 (Post 4514731)
To be honest, I always saved within the game (several times per day), but never knew to back it up. Is there any other way?

In game is good for those daily backups, but you should regularly make a copy of your .lg folder. Computers have problems, files get lost/corrupted/disappear etc. It happens and your safest bet is keep a copy of important files on a separate drive/stick/cd.

I do mine monthly, and also before/after any important dates/events.

It may be overkill, but it works for me. I lost a good league once a long time ago, never again will that happen :)

cubfan1109 07-14-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchkenn (Post 4514770)

This might work... could you help explain to me what to do on step 7 of the instructions? Thanks very much for your help. I appreciate it. I have located the auto-save folders and now just need to know where to apply them.

cubfan1109 07-14-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubfan1109 (Post 4514822)
This might work... could you help explain to me what to do on step 7 of the instructions? Thanks very much for your help. I appreciate it. I have located the auto-save folders and now just need to know where to apply them.

Ok I keep backing it up "successfully," but the game doesn't show up when I click "load game." Any help? Thx.

Also, when I quit out of the app it says saving data base but doesn't go past 0% and ultimately just closes.

Looks like I might be missing the world.dat. What would that mean?
UPDATE: but it shows up in my Finder files.

mitchkenn 07-14-2019 08:57 PM

"7) In there, select all of the ".dat" files and copy them to the league folder (the parent of the current folder) overwriting all of the ".dat" files in the league folder."

This means - copy the .dat files in the auto save folder. You will then need to paste them into the league folder of your current game, if you can locate it.

i am not at my game computer, so can't look to see exactly what those files are. If OOTP doesn't recognize your older game (the one that is gone) you'll need to search the hard drive for it (it should be somewhere in OOTP20, saved games - even if it's corrupt, the .lg files should be there.) and replace those .dat files with the ones from your auto save. (i believe there are 16 of those .dat files, but i am not absolutely certain of that.) the world .dat file is one of the ones ( i think) that gets moved from the auto save folder to your current dead game.

i've never had to do this for myself, so i am not certain exactly how the steps unfold, but i bookmarked the "how-to" a year or so ago from Lukas in case it was ever needed.

Hopefully this makes some sense, and works for you. i know how it's to lose a game. i lost 50 years once because i didn't know how to restore from backups at the time.

Good luck. let us know if this works.

cubfan1109 07-14-2019 10:51 PM

Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it. I'll give it a shot tonight/tomorrow. Thanks again. I'll let you know.

cubfan1109 07-15-2019 12:46 PM

Thank you very much!!! Your suggestion worked. Really grateful. Thanks again.

mitchkenn 07-15-2019 08:26 PM

you're more than welcome. i wasn't certain it would with your initial description. Glad you got it back!