OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Talk Sports (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   I'm sorry...this just doesnt seem right. (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=306543)

Boomcoach 09-11-2019 04:27 PM

I am 60, and there is no doubt that part of my dislike of inter-league play is that it is not what I grew up with, but I think it is more than that.

When it was first done, it was a fun idea. the odds of the Chisox and the Cubs ever meeting in the World Series is pretty slim, same for the Yankees and Mets. That wore thin pretty quickly, for me, and now it is just a couple random series through the season.

I recognize that other sports play across divisions, but MLB is the only sport that the two leagues are actually separate and different, even to the point of having different rules. I like that separation. At, least now, they have matched up divisions, so there is less issue with uneven schedules between teams within the same division.

In the end, it is probably 90% age. I grew up with the leagues separated in a way that other sports were not, and liked the difference. So get off my lawn, ya gol durn whippersnapper! ;)

Cobra Mgr 09-11-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Cherry (Post 4535739)
Too bad this forum doesn't have an ignore function.

It does. I have about 6 or 10 posters whose posts I never have to read again. And about 2 others that are quickly heading up the charts. It's beautiful. I have enough butt heads to deal with w/o having to deal with them in my leisure time.

CBeisbol 09-11-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by low (Post 4535751)
The more people that get to see more players and teams is only a good thing, IMO. You anti-interleague people need to get over it already.

No way

Step 1: change baseball (let Jackie Robinson play, extend the netting, interleague)
Step 2: ?????
Step 3: baseball is ruined

People have different tolerance for change

That's it

Cobra Mgr 09-11-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4535766)
Well, so much for that. I was thinking it would be 40 and above against.

Interleague play began in 1997. So I would think anyone who was a knowledgeable fan back then and under 25 would more likely be in favor of it.

I have no prob w/IL play myself. To me, the only reasons against it are sentimentality and continuity (which is a sentimental reason in of itself). Baseball people, unlike any other sport, has a problem with things changing. Yet, when you think about it, they deal with more change than any other sport. The dimensions of the fields aren't standard, and the strike zone changes w/each umpire. Yet, they complain other changes plays havoc with the integrity of the numbers. Sorry, but the game itself plays havoc with the numbers. If any sport should be more comfortable w/fluidity than any other, it should be baseball.

David Watts 09-11-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr (Post 4535774)
Interleague play began in 1997. So I would think anyone who was a knowledgeable fan back then and under 25 would more likely be in favor of it.

I have no prob w/IL play myself. To me, the only reasons against it are sentimentality and continuity (which is a sentimental reason in of itself). Baseball people, unlike any other sport, has a problem with things changing. Yet, when you think about it, they deal with more change than any other sport. The dimensions of the fields aren't standard, and the strike zone changes w/each umpire. Yet, they complain other changes plays havoc with the integrity of the numbers. Sorry, but the game itself plays havoc with the numbers. If any sport should be more comfortable w/fluidity than any other, it should be baseball.

Can't argue with what you just said. I was only 9 when the AL started using the DH. Too wrapped up in being a kid to know how big a change that rule change was at the time or how big it continues to be to this day.

low 09-11-2019 06:26 PM

Your heads are all going to explode when the NL adopts the DH rule. It's not if, it's when.

BaseballMan 09-11-2019 07:02 PM

It doesnt bother me. How many years do you remember the day runaway division winners clinched? Unless there is a tight race i dont recall many division clinchers.
Its not that big a deal in other sports so i dont really pay much attention to it. I would rather see the Astros playing the Dodgers for a clincher than Baltimore.
Now if its Astros vs Yankees or a team in their division than yeah i would rather have that. But overall it doesnt bother me that much.
If you're gonna be a champion you should be able to clinch against any team.

ForeverRoyalKC 09-12-2019 12:31 AM

I am 51. And as I have stated in a previous post, interleague took the intrigue away from the World Series. I really thought it so neat and so weird to see the Orioles in Pittsburgh, the Phillies in Kansas City, the Dodgers at the Yankees, etc. back in the day.
And as far as seeing today's stars, I wasn't upset or bummed that I didn't get to see Willie Stargell, Pete Rose, Ryne Sandberg, etc.
In the point of the other leagues crossing continually in their schedule, the separation is what made the MLB unique. You only saw each other in the World Series. Then you had to adjust to a stadium you never played in and players you never played against.

And even being old school, I hope the DH comes into the NL. I've never liked the pitcher batting. Eight to nine times out of ten, you know what's coming before he even walks up to the plate. Plus, you can tell when pitchers, pitching to their counterparts, throw their nastiest stuff because they know they're not going to hit it. When a 98 MPH fastball is blown by a pitcher at lightspeed, some of them have a "Yeah, that wasn't happening" look on their face when they casually walk back to the dugout.

And to go along with Boomcoach..."And get outta my driveway, ya' hooligans with your ipad phone cell thingamajigs!"

Mat 09-12-2019 06:18 AM

I have nothing against interleague except for what it does to the schedule. I wish there was a more balanced and fair schedule.

Ragnar 09-14-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBeisbol (Post 4535635)
Seems very good, in my opinion

I don't understand why so many baseball fans want to make it harder for people to see the best players play.

Without interleague, people in AL or NL only cities never have the opportunity to see the best players from the other leagues.

Someone living in Philadelphia, Atlanta or Miami wouldn't have seen Mike Trout this year, or maybe ever.

Baseball is MUCH better for interleague.

I see. I'll help you understand. I care about my favorite team and my league. The best players from the other league can KMA! I can't stand them. That's why.

CBeisbol 09-14-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnar (Post 4536531)
I see. I'll help you understand. I care about my favorite team and my league. The best players from the other league can KMA! I can't stand them. That's why.

That doesn't help me understand.

Only raises more questions

I could understand not caring about them. But *can't stand*? That's a strong emotion.
And, maybe, one could not stand them because they're opponents, but (that's not really in the spirit of sport) you don't say you can't stand the other teams in your league who are also your opponents.

So, no, that doesn't help me understand. Not at all