OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   OOTP only #3? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=305321)

PSUColonel 07-18-2019 09:16 PM

OOTP only #3?

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-s...agement-games/

battists 07-18-2019 09:18 PM

Gotta hurt losing out to Tennis Elbow 2.

Ty Cobb 07-18-2019 10:24 PM

Only if you take tennis seriously. I haven’t since Johnny Mac retired. Can’t think of a sport other than soccer so full of bland, blasé personalities. Flame away, fans. Just how I feel. Some great talent, but zero in the personality department.

rudel.dietrich 07-19-2019 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 4516698)
Gotta hurt losing out to Tennis Elbow 2.

The Tennis Elbow series is a great sports game.
And I don’t even care for tennis.

They make one that you can actually play tennis and one that you can coach/manage. Two separate games.

Sharkn20 07-19-2019 04:02 AM

I play #1 #3 #7

All awesome!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reed 07-19-2019 06:46 AM

I read the list differently than you all. I think it is just a list of the best management games In each sport listed, not saying one on the list is better than the others on the list.
I see there is no pro football or basketball on the list. Maybe an opportunity for someone???

Sharkn20 07-19-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed (Post 4516816)
I read the list differently than you all. I think it is just a list of the best management games In each sport listed, not saying one on the list is better than the others on the list.
I see there is no pro football or basketball on the list. Maybe an opportunity for someone???

Wolverine games already got Football and Basketball.

Jim Gridiron also got Football.

PocketsAintFull 07-19-2019 09:37 AM

I might have to check out no.7 :)

Syd Thrift 07-19-2019 09:58 AM

Total Extreme Wrestling is a really interesting game with the caveat that you'll probably have to lower the resolution on the monitor you're playing it on in order to read the screens well. It's much more about the business of wrestling; kayfabe is right out the door and you spend time bringing in faces and heels and working in gimmicks and so on. It can be a lot of fun, too, as an exercise in creative writing.

PSUColonel 07-19-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed (Post 4516816)

No the are ranking the games 1-7...the sport does not matter. #1 is considered the best...#2 the second best etc...

Sharkn20 07-19-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syd Thrift (Post 4516847)
Total Extreme Wrestling is a really interesting game with the caveat that you'll probably have to lower the resolution on the monitor you're playing it on in order to read the screens well. It's much more about the business of wrestling; kayfabe is right out the door and you spend time bringing in faces and heels and working in gimmicks and so on. It can be a lot of fun, too, as an exercise in creative writing.

I really enjoy playing that one. I wish the resolution was better though.

Argonaut 07-19-2019 12:33 PM

Sports management games are like heroin for me. They combine two things I love in sports and strategy in a way that is just too addicting. Even Motorsport Manager got its hooks in me for a month and I've never watched racing.

All told I have 1,500+ hours in Football Manager (mostly FM14), but can't see myself going back to that series. Started with OOTP18 last year and now have 300+ hours in OOTP20. I think with historical games and now Perfect Team, OOTP is a step ahead of Football Manager at the moment. FM has just added a bunch of stuff that slows the simulation down.

nutt 07-19-2019 03:03 PM

For everyone talking about TEW (Total Extreme Wrestling), I was building a massive historic database for 2016 (2020 comes out Christmas season 2019) that was a real world mod with about 4,000 workers (active and deceased) with full employment histories, along with tons of titles and inactive (and active companies) companies that were either folded, went bankrupt, merged, or died.

Then I joined the OOTP Roster Team. It has a lot of dust on it.

Magus978 07-19-2019 03:17 PM

TEW is great...but it's not something I play all the time. It's kinda' like The Sims. You get an itch to play it, and then once you scratch it, you don't touch it for a long time. :p

AirmenSmith 07-19-2019 03:18 PM

OOTP number 1 for sure

PSUColonel 07-19-2019 06:38 PM

For me, what makes a great sports management sim is the AI....pure and simple. Having said that, I feel there are really only three choices one can go with. How they order I don't know.

This is in no particular order:

FOF
FM
OOTP

It would be interesting to hear what AI the differences between the three are from those with experience with all three. Maybe there is another sim people feel should be included, but I don't know.

rudel.dietrich 07-19-2019 06:41 PM

Eastside Hockey Manager is cheap and thanks to the community has updated logos and rosters.
IMO still the best hockey GM game.

Cod 07-19-2019 07:36 PM

I cannot argue with #1. As much as it pains me to say, I play it more than OOTP :(. Motorsport Manager at #6 is a little shocking (should be higher) because the game has great mod support and the racing engine is a well oiled machine (pun totally intended).

I'm shock there was no mention of EHM on the list, especially given its huge European fanbase (a la FootballManager).

low 07-19-2019 07:43 PM

Just stating the obvious, but Football Manager will always be #1 in the sim/management genre. I'm fine with OOTP at #3. Nothing wrong with that at all.

PSUColonel 07-19-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by low (Post 4517075)
Just stating the obvious, but Football Manager will always be #1 in the sim/management genre. I'm fine with OOTP at #3. Nothing wrong with that at all.

FM is a fantastic sports management sim....but it's biggest problem IMO is it won't allow you to import saves from previous version year after year.