OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 15 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3876)
-   -   Career Ending Injuries (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=249648)

gem 12-29-2014 06:53 PM

Career Ending Injuries

Is there a way to get rid of them and just have season and a half long injuries instead? In historical leagues they make sense because at one time season ending injuries did exist. However with modern medicine I question if anything short of amputation or a terminal illness should warrant a CEI.

I just had a stud pitcher mess up his elbow over the off-season when he fell off a ladder and now his career is over.

Maybe that could happen but I'd rather it not. I know I can edit him and change it but is there a way to prevent it from even happening in the future? A setting to turn off CEI?

DustinthePOWERHOUSE 12-29-2014 07:04 PM

I don't think the game lets you specificy to that degree what type of injuries and length of injuries are allowed in the game...might be in the code to be honest.

RchW 12-29-2014 07:13 PM

Edit him back into play.

PSUColonel 12-29-2014 07:49 PM

career ending injuries need to be more dynamic....you just don't know the exact day your career is over after all

jpeters1734 12-29-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 3790438)
career ending injuries need to be more dynamic....you just don't know the exact day your career is over after all

yes this^

RchW 12-29-2014 08:37 PM

See I find that irrelevant. My internal storyline fills in the gaps and I can do baseball stuff instead.

Different strokes.;)

21C 12-29-2014 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, you can edit the injuries.txt file in the database folder. Mine is here in Windows 7:
C:\Users\Richard\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 15\database

I have attached my edited file that I use to avoid CEI but it doesn't affect players that experience a setback. I still have to go in and edit that in game.

BTW the value that needs to be edited in the file is under the heading of Career Ending Possible Bool. Change the 1s to 0s. I keep a copy of the file in another folder since OOTP always overwrites it when updating.

21C 12-29-2014 10:00 PM

I believe the falling off the ladder injury comes under the heading of a Storyline. I usually disable these myself.

diesel230 12-29-2014 10:15 PM

I always said while i enjoy having career ending injuries in the game, i find it very unrealistic that the player gets injured, its known his career is over and his team releases him all within a day. Like PSU said, the injuries should be more dynamic. I like when guys have setbacks with major injuries and over time, their career ends. But an outfielder diving for a ball, getting injured and retiring at the end of the day is very far fetched.

gem 12-29-2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21C (Post 3790482)
Yes, you can edit the injuries.txt file in the database folder. Mine is here in Windows 7:
C:\Users\Richard\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 15\database

I have attached my edited file that I use to avoid CEI but it doesn't affect players that experience a setback. I still have to go in and edit that in game.

BTW the value that needs to be edited in the file is under the heading of Career Ending Possible Bool. Change the 1s to 0s. I keep a copy of the file in another folder since OOTP always overwrites it when updating.

Thanks! So setbacks can still occur that cause a CEI?

I don't mind longterm injuries. I edited the SP in the op to a season long injury. I just don't like CEI. I know they can happen. Darryl Kile is an example. No coming back from that.

Still, that should be very rare.

ra7c7er 12-30-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gem (Post 3790418)
Is there a way to get rid of them and just have season and a half long injuries instead? In historical leagues they make sense because at one time season ending injuries did exist. However with modern medicine I question if anything short of amputation or a terminal illness should warrant a CEI.

I just had a stud pitcher mess up his elbow over the off-season when he fell off a ladder and now his career is over.

Maybe that could happen but I'd rather it not. I know I can edit him and change it but is there a way to prevent it from even happening in the future? A setting to turn off CEI?

Really? People in all sports have career ending injuries every year.

Lockdog 12-30-2014 06:09 PM

Might as well make career-ending injuries a setting that can be toggled. Either turn them off or leave them on, user's choice. Everyone wins.

jpeters1734 12-30-2014 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockdog (Post 3790721)
Might as well make career-ending injuries a setting that can be toggled. Either turn them off or leave them on, user's choice. Everyone wins.

That would solve a lot of issues

moneyball 12-31-2014 11:04 AM

Usually on a Setback for Me

2 Attachment(s)
Most of the career ending injuries I've seen are on setbacks from an injury like this guy who I had high hopes after drafting him. 18/12/15 would have made for a great starter if he realized his potential.

RchW 12-31-2014 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gem (Post 3790488)
Thanks! So setbacks can still occur that cause a CEI?

I don't mind longterm injuries. I edited the SP in the op to a season long injury. I just don't like CEI. I know they can happen. Darryl Kile is an example. No coming back from that.

Still, that should be very rare.

See this. Injured in April done in September.

Hajew86 12-31-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 3790921)
See this. Injured in April done in September.

Now if you dig even deeper was it the knee bruise and elbow tendinitis injuries that eventually caused the bigger problem of the torn labrum?? That's what I would call real life dynamics.

RchW 12-31-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hajew86 (Post 3790963)
Now if you dig even deeper was it the knee bruise and elbow tendinitis injuries that eventually caused the bigger problem of the torn labrum?? That's what I would call real life dynamics.

Good point. Is there an accumulative effect? We do see the injury history change with time, so... ...

Spritze 12-31-2014 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a replacement injury file someone made previously that does not allow for injuries longer than 2 weeks and for no CEI's at all. You can alter it in any way you wish or use it to learn how to alter any other injuries file in any way you wish. The file is located in the database directory of OOTP15.

hfield007 01-01-2015 09:43 AM

whenever I get a CEI in my game for a player in the league I usually just edit it to him being out for anywhere from 400-800 days and put them in FA. Sometimes they come back and are shells of their former selves while other times they still have some great play left. Always interesting to see who takes the gamble signing.

gem 01-03-2015 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ra7c7er (Post 3790718)
Really? People in all sports have career ending injuries every year.

Usually old players or freak accidents.

This guy fell off a ladder, had 'bone chips in elbow' and had his career ended.

That has been a three month layoff after surgery all the way back to Kirk McCaskill.

If the guy got hit in the face by a line drive like Juan Encarnacion then maybe I could swallow it more. Falling off a ladder and having 'bone chips' ... that is something modern medicine fixes all the time.