OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3640)
-   -   Reserve to Minors (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=230364)

TGH-Adfabre 04-11-2013 02:35 PM

Reserve to Minors

I started a Historical in 1900. This is my first historical and I am not a baseball historian so I have a question or two. I looked in the manual but did not find these specific points.

I set the league up to use the reserve roster.
1) Will the league automatically change this to minor leagues?
2) If not, has anyone transitioned this manually?
3) How did you do it? Add 1 level per season until desired number?
4) Does the game automatically move the draft date to a summer draft in "modern" times? If so, when?
5) Do you use the expansion draft with league expansion? If so, how many rounds?

At some point I want to switch to minors but I am not sure when or how.
Thanks,
Tom

elfsutton 04-11-2013 02:44 PM

The auto league expansion does not change it from reserve to minors that I have ever seen. You do it yourself and it is not too complicated.

When your ready, you set up the minors how you want, make sure when you do you use the run computer manager on all teams so that the reserve players move to the minors.

It works out pretty good, just a little work to get the minors the way you want them.

The Game 04-11-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre (Post 3478456)
I started a Historical in 1900. This is my first historical and I am not a baseball historian so I have a question or two. I looked in the manual but did not find these specific points.

4) Does the game automatically move the draft date to a summer draft in "modern" times? If so, when?
5) Do you use the expansion draft with league expansion? If so, how many rounds?

At some point I want to switch to minors but I am not sure when or how.
Thanks,
Tom

In my MLB 1999 custom league. I use the reserve roster until 2012. At the start of 2012 (November 2011 actually) I added the 2012 QS minor league teams. All players without major league experience. Went level by level affiliating each team to it's parent club. Took about 45 minutes, making sure i had it all correct. i did leave all levels for no roster limit so the reserve roster players could all go into the minors and other players would get moved up or down.
I have also in other leagues added 1 new level every 2 years. For modern it's easy to use Wikipedia to find the minor league affiliates. For early baseball i use indy teams or the PCL.
Draft will not change by itself you must do that yourself.
For expansion draft in one league I change it often. 18 the 1stm 20 the 2nd 22 the 3rd 25 the 4th ad for every draft after that.

To use the 2012 quickstart for minor leagues. start the 2012 control all teams. Go to roster tab display career ML stats. Delete all players with ML stats. Move any remaining players on the ML level to AAA making sure that all levels have no limit. Delete ML level. Save and then save as a template. Import into you existing league as add template. Thanx to Bigrod for this idea. it's his not mine.

VanillaGorilla 04-11-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre (Post 3478456)

1) No.

2) Yes.

3) 1910 is a good year to add AAA. I prefer to just play with AAA minors as it best suits how I play, now (random debut). In OOTP 12 (before the random debut feature) I played historical leagues with fictional players also generated. When I got to the point where I had 40 Free Agents for each ML team in the FA pool, I would add another level of minors.

4) No. The game is designed to use an off-season draft. You would get Willie Mays playing less than his 121 games with his rookie stats if you had him getting drafted in the summer. However, there are pluses to having a summer draft. One is that you get additional talent in the league mid season to replace injured players or add depth to short positions which could result in a skewing of individual performances, otherwise. For my play style, the post season draft works better for me. Others prefer the summer draft scenario. I don't see a right/wrong condition, here.

5) I have simply stuck with the default. Haven't played with changing that up, at all.

I hope some of this was helpful.

elfsutton 04-13-2013 12:53 PM

I use a spring draft, just like giving the new kids a full year, and in some cases, it helps fill out the teams for the regular season.

As for the expansion draft, I normally give it 25-30 rounds, depends year, but never go over 40, always allow just 25 players to be protected by each team, this allows you to take a few players off your existing teams and not overload the new teams, which can fill out via free agency or trades.