OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   FHM - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3843)
-   -   Custom League Help (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=250096)

HockeyGuy 01-22-2015 01:48 AM

Custom League Help

I am a newbie and I have a ton of questions about setting up a custom league, so please bear with me.

I am looking to create a custom 28-team league with four divisions where the top four teams make the playoffs and the top team in each division plays the fourth-best team. How do I go about doing this?

Is it best to play an 82 or 52 game schedule?

What does the “schedule playoffs” box mean?

What is a setting for the trade frequency? I tried setting up a league previously and there were zero trades despite having the setting at 25.

How many minor league teams can each NHL franchise have? And how do I go about setting this up?

How do I sign free agents? This still confounds me. I have both the roster and salary cap space and yet I cannot sign a free agent. What am I missing?

Additionally, when I try to recall some players from the minors it says I have to offer them a contract, but when I do a message pops up saying “You don’t own the league rights.” What does that mean and how do I correct this?

Cole 01-22-2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyGuy (Post 3799047)
I am a newbie and I have a ton of questions about setting up a custom league, so please bear with me.

Hi! Welcome to the world FHM, glad to have you aboard.

Quote:

I am looking to create a custom 28-team league with four divisions where the top four teams make the playoffs and the top team in each division plays the fourth-best team. How do I go about doing this?
Start up the fictional wizard and you will get to a page that has playoff options. The playoffs aren't completely customizable in FHM 2014, but you do have some options there to tweak to your liking.

Quote:

Is it best to play an 82 or 52 game schedule?
Best in terms of what? That type of choice comes down to personal preference.

Quote:

What does the “schedule playoffs” box mean?
That simply denotes whether you want to have playoffs in your league or not (versus a league just having a regular season and a champion decided that way).

Quote:

What is a setting for the trade frequency? I tried setting up a league previously and there were zero trades despite having the setting at 25.
Again, would come down to personal preference. Try it at 50 or so and if that's still not enough trades, move it up again until you find what you like.

Quote:

How many minor league teams can each NHL franchise have? And how do I go about setting this up?
You are able to set up one minor league team in a custom game through the fictional wizard.

Quote:

How do I sign free agents? This still confounds me. I have both the roster and salary cap space and yet I cannot sign a free agent. What am I missing?
Go to the free agent screen, which is League Menu -- Free Agents, right click on a player and select "Offer new contract."

I'm assuming you have already tried this and it didn't work.. You can also go to filter and select 'signable' which will show those who are signable....

Quote:

Additionally, when I try to recall some players from the minors it says I have to offer them a contract, but when I do a message pops up saying “You don’t own the league rights.” What does that mean and how do I correct this?
This is when trying to call a player up from your own minors? I'm not sure why that would be. Hopefully another user can help with that one.

Does that happen if you try to call up any minor league player?

Please let us know if you have further questions. Thanks.

Cole 01-22-2015 06:46 PM

I notice you asked the question about signing free agents in another thread too and one of the forum mods asked:

That seems odd. In the free agent screen, select the "Filter" button, and check off the box "Signable".

Are you at the contract maximum? How many players do you currently have contracted with your team?

So let us know about that, so we can see if it's some other issue.

HockeyGuy 01-23-2015 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Cole. (Post 3799418)
I notice you asked the question about signing free agents in another thread too and one of the forum mods asked:

That seems odd. In the free agent screen, select the "Filter" button, and check off the box "Signable".

Are you at the contract maximum? How many players do you currently have contracted with your team?

So let us know about that, so we can see if it's some other issue.

Thanks for the help Cole, I really appreciate it.

I know I'm not at the contract maximum as I made sure to clear roster space. And when I right click the option to offer them a contract doesn't appear. I tried sorting by signable players in the free agency center and while a list pops up no one is interested in negotiation. And that's a problem because I am short a goalie and can't sign a backup and thus the game is basically stopped because my roster isn't filled properly. There are literally no goalies who want to sign with my team, which makes ZERO sense.

Cole 01-23-2015 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyGuy (Post 3799548)
Thanks for the help Cole, I really appreciate it.

I know I'm not at the contract maximum as I made sure to clear roster space. And when I right click the option to offer them a contract doesn't appear. I tried sorting by signable players in the free agency center and while a list pops up no one is interested in negotiation. And that's a problem because I am short a goalie and can't sign a backup and thus the game is basically stopped because my roster isn't filled properly. There are literally no goalies who want to sign with my team, which makes ZERO sense.

Can you start a new test game and see if you have this same issue?

Perhaps it's something finnicky with the league setup and the way things are set up... or a bug of some sort.

Try a different game with a different setup and see if you have the same problem.

Cole 01-23-2015 08:07 PM

I know there used to be a bug where this type of thing was an issue. I'm not sure if that's what you are encountering now.

You could also try this as a workaround.

Activate 'commissioner mode' and set the player's rights from 'none' to 'free' ...

That might help, as I searched and old thread and saw it suggested as a fix for someone reporting a similar problem.

HockeyGuy 01-26-2015 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Cole. (Post 3800283)
I know there used to be a bug where this type of thing was an issue. I'm not sure if that's what you are encountering now.

You could also try this as a workaround.

Activate 'commissioner mode' and set the player's rights from 'none' to 'free' ...

That might help, as I searched and old thread and saw it suggested as a fix for someone reporting a similar problem.

I started a second game to see if that would fix the free agency issue and, no, the problem still exists. So I don't know what to do. It's pretty frustrating because this seems like a game I'd get into if I could only do basic things like sign free agents.

I activated the commissioner mode and tried changing the players' rights from none to free, but it won't let me do that until the season is over. So basically I'm stuck.

Thanks again for all the help!

Cole 01-26-2015 08:00 AM

Bear with us, I'll try to get you some more help so you can get up and running. Thanks for your patience.

In the meantime, is this happening only in this custom game, or all games you try to play?

jh95 01-26-2015 11:02 AM

Hi,

here is a general explanation of "How to setup a custom league" in FHM 2014.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...stom-mode.html

And a general overview of the game systems in FHM 2014.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ion-index.html

Hope this helps!

dave1927p 01-26-2015 12:58 PM

You always want to make sure you have enough goalies on your squad so this issue doesn't happen. Find a low talent low potential goalie to sign. Open his profile and offer a contract through there opposed to right clicking. I'm guessing you can still offer contracts to free agents, there just isn't any goalies wanting sign with you. Can you confirm you can sign a forward or defence? Failing signing a goalie you may want to resign as GM, simulate a day and then take over the team again the next day- the Au would find a goalie. If you can post a screenshot here it might help.

Malte Schwarz 01-26-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyGuy (Post 3801620)
I started a second game to see if that would fix the free agency issue and, no, the problem still exists. So I don't know what to do. It's pretty frustrating because this seems like a game I'd get into if I could only do basic things like sign free agents.

I activated the commissioner mode and tried changing the players' rights from none to free, but it won't let me do that until the season is over. So basically I'm stuck.

Thanks again for all the help!

You should have at least a few signable goalies. Please upload your save and I will look into it. It's sufficient to upload just the .dat files.

How to FTP files to OOTP Developments

HockeyGuy 01-31-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave1927p (Post 3801758)
You always want to make sure you have enough goalies on your squad so this issue doesn't happen. Find a low talent low potential goalie to sign. Open his profile and offer a contract through there opposed to right clicking. I'm guessing you can still offer contracts to free agents, there just isn't any goalies wanting sign with you. Can you confirm you can sign a forward or defence? Failing signing a goalie you may want to resign as GM, simulate a day and then take over the team again the next day- the Au would find a goalie. If you can post a screenshot here it might help.

I cannot sign players be it a goalie, a forward or a d-man. What I did was hand over roster and free agent decisions to my assistant coach and that solved the problem. But when I resumed control of the roster there are still some free agents who I cannot sign. Most of these guys happen to be in their young to mid-20s if this makes any difference.

Also there are zero trades in my league. And that's not an exaggeration. Not one trade occurred during a simulated season I ran and when I tried to initiate trades, the other teams despite being interested would not accept or decline. Basically the proposed trade would just sit there for an infinite amount of time.
Thanks for the help!!!

HockeyGuy 01-31-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malte Schwarz (Post 3801799)
You should have at least a few signable goalies. Please upload your save and I will look into it. It's sufficient to upload just the .dat files.

How to FTP files to OOTP Developments

Every time I paste the url into the address bar in Windows Explorer, Windows Explorer shuts down.

dave1927p 01-31-2015 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyGuy (Post 3805188)
Every time I paste the url into the address bar in Windows Explorer, Windows Explorer shuts down.

try this link.
ftp://ootpsupport.com/incoming/fhm/saved_games/
then select the "View" tab and select "Open FTP site in File Explorer"

Malte Schwarz 02-01-2015 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyGuy (Post 3805188)

Which operating system do you use?

HockeyGuy 02-04-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malte Schwarz (Post 3805503)
Which operating system do you use?

My processor is a HP 32-bit Intel Core i7-2620M 2.70GHz with 2.98 GB of useable RAM

Malte Schwarz 02-05-2015 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyGuy (Post 3807394)
My processor is a HP 32-bit Intel Core i7-2620M 2.70GHz with 2.98 GB of useable RAM

Which version of Windows do you use?

HockeyGuy 02-07-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malte schwarz (Post 3807470)
which version of windows do you use?

Lord PichuPal 02-20-2015 03:23 AM

I remember when I started a custom league, there are no trades in the first year at all. But once you get past the first season, trades will flood in quickly if the setting is too high. I have it just set at 25 or so, nothing too high but still gets a fair bit of action. As for the free agent problem, if none of the goalies will sign and you need one for a day, change a position player to goalie and then it'll let you move ahead. I had that happen to me where my goalie got hurt and I was stuck with only 1 goalie and couldn't sign anybody because it wouldn't move forward.

If you need free agents and it's a custom league but nobody shows on the list, check in other leagues, like the ECHL, FHL, etc. You should be able to offer contracts to those players if they don't belong to a team in your league already. That's how I've had to sign free agents usually when I needed them.