OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   19th century question / height (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=303535)

Syd Thrift 05-24-2019 04:52 PM

19th century question / height

I’m doing a fictional 19th century league and all the players are very, very short. I think the tallest guy is like 6’2” and the league average height is probably 5’8”. I’m not complaining, don’t get me wrong! This is pretty historically accurate (although there were probably a couple people who were freakishly tall). I’m just wondering, is this by design? Does player size slowly increase on its own?

Also, what effects does height have on the game besides making a small difference in fielding at first base? (Note: I mean OOTP, not actual baseball; I can think of several things height can help or hinder with in the real life game.)

joefromchicago 05-24-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syd Thrift (Post 4492736)
I’m doing a fictional 19th century league and all the players are very, very short. I think the tallest guy is like 6’2” and the league average height is probably 5’8”. I’m not complaining, don’t get me wrong! This is pretty historically accurate (although there were probably a couple people who were freakishly tall). I’m just wondering, is this by design? Does player size slowly increase on its own?

I believe the answer to both is "yes."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syd Thrift (Post 4492736)
Also, what effects does height have on the game besides making a small difference in fielding at first base? (Note: I mean OOTP, not actual baseball; I can think of several things height can help or hinder with in the real life game.)

Tall players have a better chance of becoming pitchers, at least in the modern game. Not sure about the nineteenth century, although even then pitchers tended to be on the tall side. There were, of course, some prominent exceptions, like Hoss Radbourn (5'9") and Pud Galvin (5'8"), but generally the best pitchers in the nineteenth century were 5'10" or taller, which made them stand out (literally) among their peers.

Syd Thrift 05-24-2019 10:34 PM

Right. I know that in real life height provides a pretty big advantage to pitching in that it provides you leverage. Also, it's easier to throw strikes at a larger target so I'd expect that walk rates are higher for smaller players, everything else being equal. My question is, what's actually in the *game*. I know that taller first basemen get a boost to their fielding ability but beyond that I'm not aware that OOTP has anything in it that gives bonuses or maluses.

joefromchicago 05-25-2019 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syd Thrift (Post 4492831)
My question is, what's actually in the *game*. I know that taller first basemen get a boost to their fielding ability but beyond that I'm not aware that OOTP has anything in it that gives bonuses or maluses.

Perhaps I was not explaining myself very well. Let me clarify my previous remarks:

In OOTP, tall players have a better chance of becoming pitchers, at least in the modern game as simulated by OOTP. Not sure about the nineteenth century as simulated by OOTP, although even then pitchers tended to be on the tall side. There were, of course, some prominent exceptions, like Hoss Radbourn (5'9") and Pud Galvin (5'8"), but generally the best pitchers in the nineteenth century were 5'10" or taller, which made them stand out (literally) among their peers.

I didn't know I had to make the italicized parts explicit, as this is an OOTP forum where we're talking about OOTP. I'm glad to have the opportunity to make that clear.

Syd Thrift 05-25-2019 09:42 AM

Ok, thanks!

Spritze 05-25-2019 11:25 AM

the average 19th century player was 5'9 170 lbs
the average 19th century pitcher was also 5'9 170 lbs
the average 19th century star pitcher was 5'9 170 lbs

in the 1870's 5'8 was the average by the early 1900's players had grown an inch or two to 5'10

Fredrocker 05-25-2019 12:43 PM

IIRC I remember reading where at 6'1" Honus Wagner was considered a monster

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk