OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3624)
-   -   OOTP 9 Manual Thread (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=166878)

ootp3to6 06-27-2008 03:43 PM

I would like to be able to download a "PDF" file for the OOTP 9 manual if at all possible. Please reconsider. Thank you.

1998 Yankees 06-27-2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 2519602)
It does, depending on your settings in Game Preferences under "Online Settings" (or online something, I don't have the game in front of me right now.)

By default it's set to "update older files" which means that it will update files that have changed and are more than a week old. If you have a persistent internet connection, you can change it to "download always," which makes the help open a tiny bit slower, but will ensure you get new pages as soon as they are available when you try to open them.

Thanks,

Steve

With either of these features, the manual is updated automatically, correct? So, I will always have the most current manual (and ultimately the final version) as long as I start the game occasionally. I just checked, the size of the Help folder is 34.5MB, comparable to the OOTP2007 manual which was 19.9MB. So, I already have an up-to-date manual on my computer and all I have to do to look at it off-line is create a shortcut by right-clicking on the toc.html file, dragging it to the desktop, and selecting "Create Shortcut here."
Quote:

Originally Posted by ootp3to6 (Post 2520070)
I would like to be able to download a "PDF" file for the OOTP 9 manual if at all possible. Please reconsider. Thank you.

So why do we need a PDF file? Well, the only reasons that I can see are:
  1. You cannot search the computer version of the manual (that is, away from the game and its F1 context capability) like you can the online version,
  2. You cannot take the manual with you by copying the entire folder onto a flash drive, including the shortcut. Something gets left behind apparently because some images are missing, and
  3. Uninstalling the game deletes the computer manual. Let's say it's years from now when the OOTP 9 manual is no longer online and is not updating the computer version any more. That means if the latest version of the manual was not included in the last patch, then it will be lost forever.
If you can remedy these issues, then yes, we don't need a PDF version IMO.

battists 06-27-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HercMighty (Post 2519604)
So it only updates pages if you try to open them? Are the help files also going to be part of patches?

You are correct, the game checks for updates when you access a page. To your second question, the answer is "yes." For example, the 1st patch included updated help files based on changes I made between release and patch 1.

battists 06-27-2008 09:07 PM

Technically the local copy of the manual isn't always up to date. It simply checks when you access a certain page to make sure THAT page is up to date.

We will certainly entertain the notion of a PDF, and as I mentioned Andreas is considering that too, but the fact of the matter is we just cannot provide the manual in multiple formats designed for those formats. Last year's version was PDF, which made some happy, and some miserable. This year we have the reverse situation. For us, the online version is more desirable for several reasons:

a. we can have multiple simultaneous editors
b. we can link people to specific places from the forums
c. we can integrate it with the in-game help

We just don't have the manpower to manage making two separate optimized versions. In fact, we scarcely have the manpower to manage one, as you can tell by the fact that the manual is incomplete now.

We may be able to accomplish a script that will take all of the pages from the online manual and put them into a single PDF, but that would not be optimized for print like last year's PDF version is, and it would likely end up taking 600+ pages to print, since last year's was 500, there's more information now, and it wouldn't be optimized for printing.

In the mean time, unfortunately, I need to focus on getting the content complete! :)

1998 Yankees 06-27-2008 10:11 PM

page=substitution_pages#warming_up_pitchers

Section header: "Substituting on Defense ( "

Compare to the section above it: "Substituting on Offense (Pinch Hitting)"

Meant to say more, but the phone rang just then? :)

1998 Yankees 06-28-2008 10:29 AM

Dola,

page=other_helpful_info:

- What does OOTP recommend for backing up your leagues?

Was that meant to be linked to somewhere?

1998 Yankees 06-29-2008 03:17 PM

My apologies, but no more "dolas" after this.

--------------------

page=names

"Editing OOPTB Text Files in Microsoft Excel" is a dead link.

--------------------

page=understanding_the_nations_txt_file

"The likelihood of a pl "

I would guess it should be the same as in the OOTP 8 manual: "The likelihood of a player receiving a facial type of certain types."

--------------------

battists, are you sure you want all these here? I feel like I'm playing "gotcha" which is not my intention, I assure you.

--------------------

Curtis 06-30-2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 2516468)
Ooh, I'll follow you, I have some of my own! :)

Apparently I won't. I just tried and was informed that I had insufficient permissions to post in that section of the forum.

One thing I've noticed is that an awful lot of 2007/8 stuff was carried along into this version 9 forum. Considering how long it took to start up the version 9 forum, I would have hoped that someone could've left all of the 2007/8 stuff behind in the old 2007/8 forum… which, after all, still exists.

By the way, I've tried looking up a couple of things about how transactions (waivers, DFA, etc.) work, and both things I've tried to F1 came back with some variation on 'no such page'. I've tried hitting the 'next page/previous page' buttons, and they also come back with 'no information'.

Steve, with all of the problems I've had with version 9, I've gotta say that it looks to me like this game was released a couple of months before it was ready. I should've followed 1998 Yankees' advice and waited for patch 3 before downloading the stupid thing.

Bluenoser 06-30-2008 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 2520327)
You are correct, the game checks for updates when you access a page. To your second question, the answer is "yes." For example, the 1st patch included updated help files based on changes I made between release and patch 1.

So there's no way possible to open the manual in game and have it update all pages?

Ambermonk 06-30-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceM (Post 2522409)
So there's no way possible to open the manual in game and have it update all pages?

Please, I want this too.

battists 06-30-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceM (Post 2522409)

Duly noted, I'll see if we can get something like this into the next patch.

1998 Yankees 06-30-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis (Post 2522296)
I should've followed 1998 Yankees' advice and waited for patch 3 before downloading the stupid thing.

Curtis, I know I said that at one time and intended to do so. Actually, I said I would download and look at OOTP 9 until it was patched a few times before devoting my league to it, playing OOTP 8 in the meantime, but I could no longer abide by the lefty-righty split ratings merge problem. Therefore, I did end up diving in right after the first patch finally resolved that problem.

battists, I asked you a question above?

EDIT: Thanks for your response below.

battists 06-30-2008 10:42 PM

Oh, sorry, I didn't see that question there.

1998, you're welcome to keep posting these, and it's much appreciated, although to be honest, many of them are simply because I haven't gotten there yet. :(

Basically, the further down the "tree" of the manual you get, the more likely you are to find inconsistencies. Shortly I will be completely done up through the "Screen Descriptions by Menu" section, that is, if you look at the menu here. That is not to say that other sections aren't close to being complete as well, but I can say that I'm pretty confident in everything ABOVE there right now, whereas BELOW that point I think you're likely to run into the sorts of things you have pointed out.

Thanks very much!

Curtis, I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles. :( I won't pretend to know specifically what you have run into, but I do know that Markus is working on some Mac-specific issues right now, and that may be what you're looking for...

Schmidt Happens 07-02-2008 04:31 PM

Manual

What a great manual. First class job all the way around. I love the layout. I can only imagine how long it took to get this done.

battists 07-02-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmidt Happens (Post 2525444)
What a great manual. First class job all the way around. I love the layout. I can only imagine how long it took to get this done.

Thanks!

As far as how long it took to get it done...I'll tell you when I finish. :rolleyes:

I wish it could have all been done before the game went out, but hey, 3 years ago this game didn't have a manual at all!

battists 07-04-2008 12:14 AM

Well, for you manual nerds out there, I have a quick update.

You've probably noticed in the online manual, but the left menu is hierarchical divided into top-level menu items as follows:

Introduction and Installation
OOTP Interface and Controls
Getting Started
Creating Games
Screen Descriptions by Menu
Important Game Concepts
Playing OOTP
In-Game Reports
Customizing OOTP
Other Helpful Information

Basically, as of right now, all of the content for the sections in blue above is 100% complete (although in some cases there are references to content that isn't yet complete). If you find errors or areas that could use enhancement in any of the blue sections, please fire away.

I'm continuing to work on cleaning up the rest of the sections.

Thanks, all!

Curtis 07-04-2008 04:06 AM

And thank you for the update!

myasu 07-04-2008 04:09 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to battist for the great work. :)

ootp3to6 07-04-2008 09:14 AM

Thanks for the update and I look forward to the completed manual.
Job well done.

1998 Yankees 07-04-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 2527022)
Well, for you manual nerds out there, I have a quick update.

You've probably noticed in the online manual, but the left menu is hierarchical divided into top-level menu items as follows:

Getting Started
Creating Games
Important Game Concepts
Playing OOTP
In-Game Reports
Customizing OOTP

Basically, as of right now, all of the content for the sections in blue above is 100% complete (although in some cases there are references to content that isn't yet complete). If you find errors or areas that could use enhancement in any of the blue sections, please fire away.

I'm continuing to work on cleaning up the rest of the sections.

Thanks, all!

This is a good idea so that we don't keep bringing stuff to your attention that you have not gotten to yet. Please keep on updating your status occasionally.

battists 07-05-2008 06:56 PM

Here's a quick update. Things in blue are 100% done. Remember, just because it's not in blue doesn't mean there's no content. Mainly it means that the content hasn't been revised and improved from last year's manual content.

Getting Started
Creating Games

Important Game Concepts
- Human Managers
- The Player Model

- Coaches and Personnel
- Scouting
- Trading

- Finances and Player Contracts
- Player Drafts
- Roster Rules and Management
- League Events
- Tools, Functions, and Editors
Playing OOTP
In-Game Reports
Customizing OOTP

dzanr 07-06-2008 06:02 AM

Typo found

Page: Customizing OOTP - Ballparks/Stadiums - A Tour of the Ballpark (Editor)

The paragraph above the 2nd screen shot reads:

Quote:

If the fence distance is short enough (under 11 feet), then an outfielder has a chance to save a homerun that is just over the wall.
This should read: If the fence height is short enough (under 11 feet), then an outfielder has a chance to save a homerun that is just over the wall.

DZ

battists 07-07-2008 11:26 PM

Here's a quick update. Things in blue are 100% done. Remember, just because it's not in blue doesn't mean there's no content. Mainly it means that the content hasn't been revised and improved from last year's manual content.

Getting Started
Creating Games

Important Game Concepts
- Human Managers
- The Player Model
- Coaches and Personnel
- Scouting
- Trading
- Player Drafts

- League Events
Playing OOTP
In-Game Reports
Customizing OOTP

Ambermonk 07-07-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 2530406)

Keep on truckin' Battists. We're all behind you!:happy:

battists 07-08-2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambermonk (Post 2530416)
Keep on truckin' Battists. We're all behind you!:happy:

I'm having problems now, Ambermonk.

See, for the first time in a LONG time, I've started my own OOTP solo league . . . :rolleyes:

Anyone know where I can get some good uniforms put together? :D

bailey 07-09-2008 01:56 AM

I noticed that on the personnel ratings page, 6.3.1, some information under "handle rookies", for example, extends off the right side of the page. I'm using the 1680x1050 resolution setting. The problem corrects itself if I open in an external browser and here I notice that the affected areas are in a larger, bolder font.

There are other places where this occurs, usually under the word "description".

Under "Manager Reputations" the next page is titled "Getting Hired". Clicking "Getting Hired" causes an error box popup. Clicking 'cancel' allows one to continue, though.

Ambermonk 07-09-2008 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 2530444)
I'm having problems now, Ambermonk.

See, for the first time in a LONG time, I've started my own OOTP solo league . . . :rolleyes:

Anyone know where I can get some good uniforms put together? :D

Aren't you going to design them yourself? That's half the fun (and it would give you an occasional break from the manual). :)

In any event, I would be happy to help you.

battists 07-10-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bailey (Post 2531438)
I noticed that on the personnel ratings page, 6.3.1, some information under "handle rookies", for example, extends off the right side of the page. I'm using the 1680x1050 resolution setting. The problem corrects itself if I open in an external browser and here I notice that the affected areas are in a larger, bolder font.

There are other places where this occurs, usually under the word "description".

Thanks, we're aware of that one, and should have it fixed shortly!

battists 07-10-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bailey (Post 2531438)
Under "Manager Reputations" the next page is titled "Getting Hired". Clicking "Getting Hired" causes an error box popup. Clicking 'cancel' allows one to continue, though.

I think this should be fixed in the next patch. You get this error in-game, right? Not on the external web site?

There was a problem with the conversion of the HTML < ol > tag for use in the in-game browser!

1998 Yankees 07-10-2008 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Only because you have Scouting in blue do I call your attention to this "Instant Replay" you've got going there (page=scouting_players). :)

battists 07-11-2008 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees (Post 2533250)
Only because you have Scouting in blue do I call your attention to this "Instant Replay" you've got going there (page=scouting_players). :)

Sheesh, you're quick, I edited that not an hour ago! :o

Fixed!

1998 Yankees 07-11-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 2533260)
Sheesh, you're quick, I edited that not an hour ago! :o

Fixed!

Just a coincidence. I assure you, I'm not hacking and spying. Right now, that is. ;)

BleacherBum 07-13-2008 06:18 AM

OOTP 9 Manual Thread

I spent a few minutes for the first time in the online manual, and ran across a couple of broken links:

League Functions page has links to the "Almanac", a page that does not exist
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/docu...ge=the_almanac

Options page refers to "Schedules" more than once, and this page does not exist
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/docu...page=schedules

Given that it didn't take long to run into these, I suspect there are more. It would be worth running some sort of links check on the online manual.

battists 07-14-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleacherBum (Post 2535807)
I spent a few minutes for the first time in the online manual, and ran across a couple of broken links:

League Functions page has links to the "Almanac", a page that does not exist
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/docu...ge=the_almanac

Options page refers to "Schedules" more than once, and this page does not exist
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/docu...page=schedules

Given that it didn't take long to run into these, I suspect there are more. It would be worth running some sort of links check on the online manual.

Thanks very much. I'll try to get to these soon. Unfortunately, both schedules and league functions need some work, but I've been tied up this week with the patch-related stuff. Need to get back in there for some more manual work!

Steve

TomasNL 07-16-2008 07:33 PM

Does the manual covers everything about this game i need to know?

I'm a newbie rookie to this game, and i wondered if it's just a quick list with the options in this game? Or does it go in to detail about every aspect?

Thanks!

TomasNL 07-16-2008 10:11 PM

Testing: Why are my posts not posted?

battists 07-16-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomasNL (Post 2539015)
Testing: Why are my posts not posted?

Um, they are :)

battists 07-16-2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomasNL (Post 2538904)
Does the manual covers everything about this game i need to know?

I'm a newbie rookie to this game, and i wondered if it's just a quick list with the options in this game? Or does it go in to detail about every aspect?

Thanks!

Hi TomasNL,

I'd say the manual covers just about everything! As you can tell from this thread, I'm still improving the manual, so there's a possibility that you may need info about something I haven't quite cleaned up yet.

I'm not sure there's a quick list of options in this game - even a list like that would be hundreds of items long. However, what sorts of options are you talking about? League creation options? Reporting options? Online options? You get my point, perhaps...

myasu 07-17-2008 12:47 AM

Itsumo Arigato, battists!

Anata ya Markus wo hajime, minasan no okage de kokorokara kono GAME wo tanoshime masu.
Karada niwa kiwotsukete...
Anata ga byoki ni nattara, minna kanashimimasu.

battists 07-17-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myasu (Post 2539143)
Itsumo Arigato, battists!

Anata ya Markus wo hajime, minasan no okage de kokorokara kono GAME wo tanoshime masu.
Karada niwa kiwotsukete...
Anata ga byoki ni nattara, minna kanashimimasu.

Arigato, Myasu-san.

(Mou osoi ka mo shiren ga... (^_^;) )

TomasNL 07-17-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 2539063)
Um, they are :)

Well they were not right away:o

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 2539064)
Hi TomasNL,

I'd say the manual covers just about everything! As you can tell from this thread, I'm still improving the manual, so there's a possibility that you may need info about something I haven't quite cleaned up yet.

I'm not sure there's a quick list of options in this game - even a list like that would be hundreds of items long. However, what sorts of options are you talking about? League creation options? Reporting options? Online options? You get my point, perhaps...

Well it didnt mean options, i was just asking about the manual because i'm new to this game. I never played it before. I love to watch baseball but never realised how much work there is done ''behind the scenes''. So as you can imagine when i started playing i was confused almost immediately :D

I allready have a list of questions, so can you tell me where i can post that? They are offcourse newbie questions, but hey, everybody has to learn sometime right?

battists 07-17-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomasNL (Post 2539497)
Well they were not right away:o

Well it didnt mean options, i was just asking about the manual because i'm new to this game. I never played it before. I love to watch baseball but never realised how much work there is done ''behind the scenes''. So as you can imagine when i started playing i was confused almost immediately :D

I allready have a list of questions, so can you tell me where i can post that? They are offcourse newbie questions, but hey, everybody has to learn sometime right?

You could try here.

By the way, if you don't want to be overwhelmed, the ABA quick-start league is a great place to start! I highly recommend it!

battists 07-19-2008 09:01 PM

Latest updates. Things in blue are 100% done. Remember, just because it's not in blue doesn't mean there's no content. Mainly it means that the content hasn't been revised and improved from last year's manual content.
Getting Started
Creating Games

Important Game Concepts
- Human Managers
- The Player Model
- Coaches and Personnel
- Scouting
- Trading
- Player Drafts

- League Events
Playing OOTP
In-Game Reports
Customizing OOTP

The manual also includes all of the changes in patch 9.1.2.

battists 07-20-2008 08:56 PM

Latest updates. Things in blue are 100% done. Remember, just because it's not in blue doesn't mean there's no content. Mainly it means that the content hasn't been revised and improved from last year's manual content.

Getting Started
Creating Games

Important Game Concepts
- Human Managers
- The Player Model
- Coaches and Personnel
- Scouting
- Trading
- Player Drafts
- League Events

Playing OOTP
In-Game Reports
Customizing OOTP

battists 07-27-2008 11:27 PM

Getting Started
Creating Games

Important Game Concepts
- Human Managers
- The Player Model
- Coaches and Personnel
- Scouting
- Trading
- Player Drafts
- League Events
- Tools, Functions, and Editors (except for Schedule Editor and "other commissioner functions")

Playing OOTP
In-Game Reports
Customizing OOTP

battists 07-29-2008 10:52 PM

Getting Started
Creating Games
Important Game Concepts

Playing OOTP
In-Game Reports
Customizing OOTP

Woo yeah! That whole "Important Game Concepts" section is absolutely complete now, yay! Moving to to the Playing OOTP section now. :) (Am I the only person who is excited about this? :D)

21C 07-29-2008 11:20 PM

I'm definitely interested in these updates. As someone who hasn't played the game since version 6, I found the OOTP8 manual invaluable for sorting out problems in OOTP9. I certainly appreciate all of the effort that has gone in to this.

Thanks to everyone involved.

Shah Rukh 07-30-2008 01:39 PM

Game stalled while using manual

Hi all,

the following error occured when I tried to enter section 10.1 "Statistics and Abbreviations of the manual":

HTML_TABLE::get_column_width - column ratio should be greater than zero

I've tried to hit both the OK and help buttons but nothing happens and I can't close the window.
Is there any way to get back to the game? At first I tried to close the programme (closing the Windows-window via the x-sign) but it won't let me do that either. Task Manager doesn't tell me the game is stalled so that's way I still hope to be able to get back and save my latest Spring Training win...

Posted this here since you guys appear to be the experts on anything related to the manual.

Every comment on my problem is welcome. :flowers:
Thank you

battists 07-30-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shah Rukh (Post 2550523)
Hi all,

the following error occured when I tried to enter section 10.1 "Statistics and Abbreviations of the manual":

HTML_TABLE::get_column_width - column ratio should be greater than zero

I've tried to hit both the OK and help buttons but nothing happens and I can't close the window.
Is there any way to get back to the game? At first I tried to close the programme (closing the Windows-window via the x-sign) but it won't let me do that either. Task Manager doesn't tell me the game is stalled so that's way I still hope to be able to get back and save my latest Spring Training win...

Posted this here since you guys appear to be the experts on anything related to the manual.

Every comment on my problem is welcome. :flowers:
Thank you

Hmm, that's probably a problem on my side, but I don't know if I can help you getting back to the game right now. (Regardless, I suspect you've long since quit, since it was 6 hours ago.) Let me see what I can do.

Shah Rukh 07-31-2008 05:39 AM

Thanks for the answer, I didn't quit yet

My computer is still on, because I don't have the time to play anyway.
This won't change for like 30 hours from now. If you find a solution please post it. It might also help others who run int this problem

Thanks again, your manual is great!

Shah Rukh