OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3858)
-   -   OOTP vs. FM Revisited (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=235656)

PSUColonel 08-21-2013 09:52 PM

OOTP vs. FM Revisited
 
I did this thread a couple of years ago, and thought with the release of a couple of versions from each since, it might be fun to re-visit.

here is the original thread:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...otp-vs-fm.html

Anyway, let's restrict this conversation to just a handful of times. Last time I felt people started showing some bias and didn't always stick to the criteria which was originally prescribed. I guess that is to be expected though based on the fact the question is being asked at OOTP Developments.

So here is goes...which of the two does a better job of putting you in the manager's chair? Which has a stronger AI, and which is the most realistic?

Nunyer 08-22-2013 10:52 AM

I haven't played a ton of FM... and haven't checked out the latest version yet... I generally enjoy OOTP much more, due to the sandbox / customization route that the game has always taken... Where FM is much more rigid and static. But as far as how the question is framed, even with my limited experience playing FM, it has the more robust AI overall.

The realism factor is a wash... as I don't think either one is remotely close to being a realistic representation of running a real sports franchise.

LondonYankee 08-22-2013 11:15 AM

I've played FM for 10+ years and only discovered OOTP 3 months ago. OOTP has quickly leapt to the top of my must play list. I feel the customisable options offer a much more immersive experience. Both games have things that snap that immersion but to me FM has more of them. Storylines are much maligned on this forum but they offer a depth FM will never have because SI always say they couldn't add such things due to fears of legal action.
FM has also become more like having a real job in the last couple of years and whilst you can take OOTP to that level too if you like it seems like you're forced down that path with FM.
That said the latest reveals for FM14 look exciting so come November that may have dragged me back in.
Both games are amazing but I feel OOTP gets my vote in this poll.

D-BacksJosh 08-22-2013 11:31 AM

Ive played FM in the past. You can create your own teams, uniforms and logos, and stuff so that type of customization is there. It is very in-depth, and has excellent management options and immersion with strategies, signing players, creating plays and formations, press conferences, player and staff meetings, etc. There is only one problem for me, no matter how hard I try I can't get into soccer. So bias is the deal-breaker. OOTP will always be the best in my eyes because, well, I love baseball. Now lets imagine if somehow FM and OOTP could be morphed together (while focusing on baseball of course!), that would be a game I would pay $100 for.

The Wolf 08-22-2013 11:32 AM

I make it a tie. How come you left no poll choice for that?

LondonYankee 08-22-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh (Post 3559177)
Ive played FM in the past. You can create your own teams, uniforms and logos, and stuff so that type of customization is there.

You can indeed do all that stuff but it's way harder to achieve than doing so in OOTP. Plus once you've started a save you can't edit anything. If I want to change a teams name/logo/uniform in OOTP 10 seasons in, I can and can do so in minutes. Not possible in FM. And any editing you can do takes much longer. I can create and start a league in OOTP in no time. It can take weeks of work to get an FM edit to the same level of realism.

D-BacksJosh 08-22-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonYankee (Post 3559184)
You can indeed do all that stuff but it's way harder to achieve than doing so in OOTP. Plus once you've started a save you can't edit anything. If I want to change a teams name/logo/uniform in OOTP 10 seasons in, I can and can do so in minutes. Not possible in FM. And any editing you can do takes much longer. I can create and start a league in OOTP in no time. It can take weeks of work to get an FM edit to the same level of realism.

You are right, I had forgotten about that. And I remember you have to use a separate editor program that isn't very user friendly to customize things.

PSUColonel 08-22-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 3559179)
I make it a tie. How come you left no poll choice for that?

because this isn't soccer;)

The Wolf 08-22-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 3559231)
because this isn't soccer;)

FM sure is soccer (well, association football).

D-BacksJosh 08-22-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 3559242)
FM sure is soccer (well, association football).

I think he's referring to the consistent frequency of ties in the game of soccer.

Le Grande Orange 08-22-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 3559231)
because this isn't soccer;)

There are ties in baseball, you know.

PSUColonel 08-22-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange (Post 3559247)
There are ties in baseball, you know.

well, yes, but only in spring games

JohnHoward 08-22-2013 01:32 PM

Wrong. As usual.

Here is the last one (that I could find):
June 30, 2005 Houston Astros at Cincinnati Reds Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

Here is a famous one:
New York Yankees vs. Baltimore Orioles - Recap - September 18, 2003 - ESPN

Most ties in a season is 10 by the 1904 Tigers.
Most ties for the history of a franchise is 163 by the New York-San Francisco Giants 1883-2013

RchW 08-22-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 3559179)
I make it a tie. How come you left no poll choice for that?

Bias? No never!

Cras 08-22-2013 03:31 PM

I love OOTP, but FM is a more complete sim. Yeah it does serve a different purpose, but it does a better job.

That doesn't mean OOTP doesn't do its job, infact OOTP does it very well, FM is just even better. The players feel alive, there is press to deal with, other members of your staff, owners, directors, you get the feel for the ebb and flow of a season, you have your own career to worry about. It really is a very well made game, and it took many years for it to become what it is.

PSUColonel 08-22-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnHoward (Post 3559255)
Wrong. As usual.

Here is the last one (that I could find):
June 30, 2005 Houston Astros at Cincinnati Reds Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

Here is a famous one:
New York Yankees vs. Baltimore Orioles - Recap - September 18, 2003 - ESPN

Most ties in a season is 10 by the 1904 Tigers.
Most ties for the history of a franchise is 163 by the New York-San Francisco Giants 1883-2013

It was a tongue in cheek comment to start with...are you really that much of a nerd that you have to go and start citing sources about a subject that has nothing to do with the thread? THe as usual part is what really gets me. Go crawl back under you rock.

JohnHoward 08-22-2013 03:57 PM

You mad bro?

PSUColonel 08-22-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cras (Post 3559313)
I love OOTP, but FM is a more complete sim. Yeah it does serve a different purpose, but it does a better job.

That doesn't mean OOTP doesn't do its job, infact OOTP does it very well, FM is just even better. The players feel alive, there is press to deal with, other members of your staff, owners, directors, you get the feel for the ebb and flow of a season, you have your own career to worry about. It really is a very well made game, and it took many years for it to become what it is.

Yes, this is the same sentiment I have. I find myself wishing OOTP was on the level of FM, (as if it were I would never leave the house again) but the reality of the situation is, it just isn't. A few versions ago I may have argued differently, but I just feel like FM has really made some long strides over the last couple of versions. It has streamlined everything, filled in the holes, and built on top of solid foundations. OOTP has made some strong steps also, but I just don't feel it measures up to the same quality FM does. I'm not really sure it's ever going to either. I keep telling myself it will someday, but the reality of it is, I don't think it will. It may keep making strides, but it feels like SI will always be ahead of the curve regardless. It also appears to me that Markus doesn't really want to create the same type of detail modeled in FM...why can't say that definitively, but it just seems that way to me. I hope I am wrong.

PSUColonel 08-22-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnHoward (Post 3559332)
You mad bro?

It was just the way he said that and then even went so far as to cite a source on something that was never even a real topic of discussion to start with. He successfully did it to get under my skin.

philliesphan26 08-22-2013 04:07 PM

Oh look. Another thread where people are mad at each other.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2020 Out of the Park Developments