OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3624)
-   -   OOTP 9 Manual Thread (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=166878)

battists 06-18-2008 02:27 PM

OOTP 9 Manual Thread
 
Hi folks,

I wanted to post a quick note about the in-game help and online manual. I'm embarrassed to admit that it's not nearly as complete as I'd hoped it would be. :( I had some real-life stuff get in the way, and just wasn't able to get it done in time. So, it's likely you will come across pages in the online manual / in-game help that are missing content. I'm continuing to work my way through these things as fast as I can, and I appreciate your patience. In the meantime, the beta team folks will be doing their best to help answer any questions you may have.

In the mean time, there are a few pieces of good news:
  • If you have your preferences set to "always download," then you will constantly get the updated online help files, so that as I add more and more content, you will receive it seamlessly.
  • In many cases, OOTP 8 had similar functionality. You can always refer to the OOTP 8 manual if you're just looking to get a general sense of how things work.
Again, I apologize whole-heartedly. You can't imagine how much it drives me nuts to have the help go out in an incomplete state... I hope you won't see it as a reflection on Markus and Andreas!

Steve

Markus Heinsohn 06-18-2008 02:38 PM

Don't worry Steve, you do an amazing job! :) Thanks for all you do buddy!

tcblcommish 06-18-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn (Post 2504439)
Don't worry Steve, you do an amazing job! :) Thanks for all you do buddy!

I second this, Steve you are the glue buddy!!

Bluenoser 06-18-2008 04:25 PM

Great job Steve.

Is the manual inluced in the game download?

ootp3to6 06-18-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn (Post 2504439)
Don't worry Steve, you do an amazing job! :) Thanks for all you do buddy!

Thanks for the update.

battists 06-18-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceM (Post 2504627)
Great job Steve.

Is the manual inluced in the game download?

Unlike last year, we haven't created a PDF manual. The entire manual is online at OOTP Baseball Manual - OOTP 9.

However, the content is also included in the game, so if you hit F1, you'll be able to see all of the content.

But, as I mentioned, still working on that content. :(

1998 Yankees 06-18-2008 09:06 PM

I need some time to adjust to this.

I'm always online these days. Do I really need the manual in file form?

For now, I am greatly relieved to at least find it has search capability.

SnowMan 06-18-2008 10:52 PM

The scouting & personnel page still refers to OOTP8 stuff...i'm trying to figure out why I can't set my scouting budget over 1mill when the league avg is 2mill...

LeeAbe 06-18-2008 11:04 PM

Please release a PDF version if possible. There is no replacement for a properly written manual that I can sit and read when I don't have online access.

Ambermonk 06-18-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeAbe (Post 2505796)
Please release a PDF version if possible. There is no replacement for a properly written manual that I can sit and read when I don't have online access.

Strongly agreed.

Ambermonk 06-18-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 2504418)
I'm embarrassed to admit that it's not nearly as complete as I'd hoped it would be. :( Steve

No problem, but I would suggest that you give a little priority to the new features first (like ball location), and I hope a PDF version will eventually be made available when the manual is finished. Thanks for your efforts.

kq76 06-19-2008 12:16 AM

That online manual is really pretty nifty, but yeah, I'd still like a pdf too.

battists 06-19-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowMan (Post 2505759)
The scouting & personnel page still refers to OOTP8 stuff...i'm trying to figure out why I can't set my scouting budget over 1mill when the league avg is 2mill...

Snow man, could you please post this over in tech support? I'm tackling the scouting piece tonight, I hope. Apologies again...

battists 06-19-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambermonk (Post 2505872)
No problem, but I would suggest that you give a little priority to the new features first (like ball location)

Good suggestion, and working on it... :@@:

I'll save the PDF discussion for a later time, if that's OK!

ootp3to6 06-19-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambermonk (Post 2505872)
No problem, but I would suggest that you give a little priority to the new features first (like ball location), and I hope a PDF version will eventually be made available when the manual is finished. Thanks for your efforts.

I agree.

bailey 06-19-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 2506589)
Snow man, could you please post this over in tech support? I'm tackling the scouting piece tonight, I hope. Apologies again...

Thanks, this is the one I'm most looking forward to. In prior versions of the game international scouting was basically free, or at least, wealthier teams had no advantage. But this apparently will no longer be true?

KevinTMC 06-19-2008 06:44 PM

One suggestion I have would be to devote significant space in the manual to the ABA quickstart.

As I understand it, a major reason behind having this nicely-developed out-of-the-box playing mode was to provide an easier point of entry for more novice players. (Which I still kinda consider myself to be, even though OOTP 9 is my third purchase in the series, going back to the "Season Ticket Baseball" days. There's just so much here!) There should be a friendly introduction to the quickstart that is written with this in mind, covering, for instance:

* Some notes on how the quickstart was designed
* Suggestions on how to start playing the quickstart (setting up the human manager, deciding what role to assume with what team, etc.)
* Notes on the features that have been turned on, or turned off, by default

Really, anything that reduces the "cool...but gosh, what do I do now?" effect--at each point along the way, from the first time the game is launched, to the point where a newbie starts to feel a little comfortable and more than a little hooked--would be a big help I think.

battists 06-20-2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTMC (Post 2507815)
One suggestion I have would be to devote significant space in the manual to the ABA quickstart.

As I understand it, a major reason behind having this nicely-developed out-of-the-box playing mode was to provide an easier point of entry for more novice players. (Which I still kinda consider myself to be, even though OOTP 9 is my third purchase in the series, going back to the "Season Ticket Baseball" days. There's just so much here!) There should be a friendly introduction to the quickstart that is written with this in mind, covering, for instance:

* Some notes on how the quickstart was designed
* Suggestions on how to start playing the quickstart (setting up the human manager, deciding what role to assume with what team, etc.)
* Notes on the features that have been turned on, or turned off, by default

Really, anything that reduces the "cool...but gosh, what do I do now?" effect--at each point along the way, from the first time the game is launched, to the point where a newbie starts to feel a little comfortable and more than a little hooked--would be a big help I think.

That's a great idea. A long time ago I had a walkthrough, and a season-long walkthrough using the ABA league would be awesome.

I'll think about that (in all of my spare time).

Scouting isn't done yet, unfortunately.

Ambermonk 06-20-2008 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 2506590)
Good suggestion, and working on it... :@@:

I'll save the PDF discussion for a later time, if that's OK!

No problem on the PDF. By the way, when is Markus going to give you your raise?

LeeAbe 06-21-2008 01:17 AM

On a MacBook Pro running OOTP at 1440x900 the online help text does not stay in the game's browser. Meaning the right side of the sentence is cut off a bit as it goes past the margins of the window.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2020 Out of the Park Developments