OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 19 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3935)
-   -   Trade question: Why is this player available? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=302564)

rink23 04-24-2019 04:07 PM

Trade question: Why is this player available?

I am in late July of the 2021 season with my St. Louis River Walkers franchise of the Midwest Baseball League.
Our position isn't bad. We're 52-49 and 4.5 games out of first place.
But we've seemingly treaded water most of the season -- bouncing between 2-5 games out -- and can't seem to get any traction.
Looking ahead, 28-year-old outfielder Michael Conforto (four star/four star) is coming up on free agency.

In negotiations, he is asking for nine seasons at $25 million.
Comparing him to similar players, I am looking at $19M for four.
I have a three-star outfielder in AAA, who I'd like to get a look at.
Also a BIG factor, the free agent market for next season is bleak in terms of starting pitching and I needed to add a No. 1 or 2.
Springfield, which is in second place in my division 2.5 games out of first, is willing to trade their No. 1 starter 32-year-old James Paxton (four stars/four stars) for Conforto and a mid-level prospect.
Paxton also comes with a contract for the 2022 season, which would give me that top-line starter I need moving forward.
Question 1, why would Springfield be looking to unload its No. 1 starter -- and it doesn't seem to have a top starter in the minors to take his place -- when it is in the thick of the pennant race?
Question 2, Do I make that deal? Lose Conforto while I am still in the pennant race myself, but get that top-line starter I am looking for and get a chance to look at my AAA guy for two months.
I also could try to re-sign Conforto in the offseason if the market bears out.
I am leaning toward making the deal. It is July 28, so I have three days to pull the trigger.
I will probably being playing games around midnight tonight and any advice would be appreciated.

pgjocki 04-24-2019 06:26 PM

I don't like trading within the division and especially when it will significantly upset the balance in my favor.

You make a case that you wouldn't do the trade if you were the other team.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rink23 04-25-2019 05:26 PM

Didn't make the trade, based on what you said and what I knew myself.
The trade of your No. 1 pitcher -- with no clear backup plan -- in the middle of a pennant race for a very good player, albeit one who was going to walk at season's end, didn't make sense.
Will keep Conforto and see if he can help lead me to a pennant and see if his demands come down in the offseason.
Conforto combined with Andrew Benintendi and Rhys Hoskins have been the fulcrum of my offense through the four pretty successful seasons in this league and I hate to see that break up.