OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 15 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3876)
-   -   Wild pitches with runners on third (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=250004)

aslanking 01-17-2015 12:19 PM

Wild pitches with runners on third

Both AI and human controlled teams have an unusually large amount of wild pitches thrown whenever there is a runner on third base. Is there a way to fix this? This is a rarity in real baseball yeah it happens all the time in out of the park baseball

Honorable_Pawn 01-17-2015 12:32 PM

One time I saw it happen 746,489 times in one inning. I was pissed off!

:mad:

Then I adjusted the sliders and set it how I liked it. I feel much better now.

:)

Westheim 01-17-2015 12:51 PM

What I have been thinking about for some time - has anybody ever seen a runner actually being thrown out on a wild pitch while attempting to score? About 4,000 games managed later, I can't remember a single instance.

RchW 01-17-2015 01:00 PM

I'm curious how you quantify this. You'd have to look at a lot of games for a reasonable sample size and know what the RL WP rate is for various base occupied states other than those with runners on 3B.

The overall MLB rate is approx 3 games per WP or its inverse 0.3 WP/G. Data on runs scored/WP is difficult (impossible) to find for me at least. How did you determine that WP with runners on 3B is higher than RL rates.

I've wanted to know this for years.

SteveP 01-17-2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westheim (Post 3797188)
What I have been thinking about for some time - has anybody ever seen a runner actually being thrown out on a wild pitch while attempting to score?

When this happens, the event is scored as "baserunner out advancing". It is not a wild pitch unless the runner is safe advancing. What is missing in OOTP is a "baserunner out advancing" play. But there is list of such missing plays (e.g., the AI never attempts a squeeze play), and it is difficult to predict how or when any of them might be included.

Cryomaniac 01-18-2015 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 3797231)
When this happens, the event is scored as "baserunner out advancing". It is not a wild pitch unless the runner is safe advancing. What is missing in OOTP is a "baserunner out advancing" play. But there is list of such missing plays (e.g., the AI never attempts a squeeze play), and it is difficult to predict how or when any of them might be included.

How would it be scored if there were runners on the corners and the pitcher threw the ball away, but the lead runner was thrown out and the other guy went from first to second?

Phantom9in 01-18-2015 08:58 AM

Runner from 3rd out trying to steal home, runner from first advances to second, no stolen base.

RchW 01-18-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom9in (Post 3797387)
Runner from 3rd out trying to steal home, runner from first advances to second, no stolen base.

No that would be base runner out advancing. It cannot be a steal attempt in that scenario. The runner at 3B would have to break for home before the pitch went past the catcher. You could have both an attempted steal and a provisional WP. The runner at 2B would be there on a fielders choice ie the out at HP

BIG17EASY 01-18-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 3797432)
No that would be base runner out advancing. It cannot be a steal attempt in that scenario. The runner at 3B would have to break for home before the pitch went past the catcher. You could have both an attempted steal and a provisional WP. The runner at 2B would be there on a fielders choice ie the out at HP

This is correct. No stolen base attempt can be given when the ball gets away from the catcher if the runner does not break before the ball gets away.

Padreman 01-18-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn (Post 3797183)
One time I saw it happen 746,489 times in one inning. I was pissed off!

:mad:

Then I adjusted the sliders and set it how I liked it. I feel much better now.

:)

Are you serious? So that means the pitcher had over 746500 pitches in the game?

Honorable_Pawn 01-18-2015 12:55 PM

Ok, you got me. ;)

RchW 01-18-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Padreman (Post 3797456)
Are you serious? So that means the pitcher had over 746500 pitches in the game?

He's a throwback to the good old days when men were men and the sheep were nervous.:p