OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   So Changing draft prospect Pitcher to Batter(or maybe B to P too) (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=306794)

brigdesatis 09-23-2019 02:12 PM

So Changing draft prospect Pitcher to Batter(or maybe B to P too)

I often change position with prospects. And It went not really well. Most of players ratings drop massively. Especially, Pitcher to Batter. Is this a common thing in this game?:crying:

BirdWatcher 09-23-2019 03:19 PM

I think we would need a heck of a lot more information in order to give you an answer to this question.

Perhaps you can think of a good example or two and share screenshots?

It really comes down to what their underlying ratings/skills are. Perhaps you are trying to make position players out of players who simply don't have the skills to excel that way.
I can tell you that I often discover good pitchers masquerading as position players and successfully switch them over to a new role.

But that simply can't be done with many players, IRL or in OOTP. And even a pitcher with good hitting ratings isn't going to be able to transition if he can't play any defensive positions, unless you are turning him into a DH.

RchW 09-23-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brigdesatis (Post 4539743)
Is this a common thing in this game?:crying:

Yes otherwise there would be no point having a development engine and a structure where prospects are ranked according to position and by role if a pitcher. It's not perfect but it is really good.

brigdesatis 09-24-2019 03:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdWatcher (Post 4539790)
Perhaps you can think of a good example or two and share screenshots?

These are my players. I changed position immediately right after signing him.

They were all Pitcher in the draft board. They had a really good batting potential, so I drafted them and changed the position. But all the sudden this happened to me.

[Edit]
I don't know why but I can upload just one picture. But it's just same with other players.

brigdesatis 09-24-2019 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 4539805)
Yes otherwise there would be no point having a development engine and a structure where prospects are ranked according to position and by role if a pitcher. It's not perfect but it is really good.

I know but I'm just curious tho. It wasn't first or two times. 9 of 10 players dropped ratings just like that and my scouter can't match so many times about potential right before and right after the draft?

I don't know. Maybe my luck isn't that good. haha.

Sharkn20 09-24-2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brigdesatis (Post 4540047)

They were all Pitcher in the draft board. They had a really good batting potential, so I drafted them and changed the position. But all the sudden this happened to me.

[Edit]
I don't know why but I can upload just one picture. But it's just same with other players.

It can be too because how you have your Scouting Budget / Scout ability in Amateurs vs Minor League.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BirdWatcher 09-24-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brigdesatis (Post 4540047)

[Edit]

What we can't see here though is what his basic ratings are, including (most importantly for a shortstop) his defensive ratings. We can see his current experience rating at shortstop, which is pretty sub-par, but what really matters is what his base infield defense ratings are. He may just not have the chops to play this extremely important defensive position.

EDIT: Though looking more closely I see that the scouting report indicates that he could be an award winning defender, so I'm guessing he does have the defensive chops for the position. Perhaps it is that his hitting relative to the position is much less impressive than relative to other pitchers? Sorry, I'm not sure what exactly is happening here.

BIG17EASY 09-24-2019 11:59 AM

It looks to me like once the player entered your system and the scout got a better look at him, his assessment of the player's offensive ratings dropped a significant amount. This is how the game is built to function if your scout doesn't get a good first read on a draft prospect. The more time a player spends in your organization, the better your scouting reports will be on that player. So it looks to me like your scout's initial assessment was simply wrong regarding this player's hitting ability. (Ironically, the scout's assessment of his defensive ability also changed significantly, but for the better.)

You can help this somewhat based on how much you spend on amateur scouting, but unless you turn scouting to 100 percent accuracy, things like this can happen, especially when you're converting a pitcher to a hitter or vice versa.