OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Bug Reports Forum (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3961)
-   -   Classic 2D pitcher facegen refresh (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=302658)

Andy 04-27-2019 12:07 PM

Classic 2D pitcher facegen refresh

I recently went back to classic 2D and noticed the same thing David Watts posted about when the game was first released. The pitcher’s facegen refreshes with each new batter even if it’s the same pitcher.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...95&postcount=1

Andy 04-29-2019 01:18 PM

Giving this the old weekday bump.

Lukas Berger 04-30-2019 06:44 AM

Offhand, I have no idea what could be causing this. Would guess it's some sort of graphics driver/OpenGL issue though.

First thing to try would be to update the video card drivers.

If that doesn't do it, more info might help. What are the specs of your system, OS, video card etc?

Andy 04-30-2019 06:20 PM

Just updated the graphics card and no change.

Here are my specs:

Windows 10
AMD Radeon Vega 6 Video Card
12 GB Ram

Let me know if you need anything else. I just got the laptop about a month ago. Thanks Lukas!

Matt Arnold 05-01-2019 02:09 PM

Are you talking about the whole screen flashing that title bar that says "generating picture", or just the individual photo on the box disappearing and reappearing?

We don't pre-gen the facegens for everyone on the team, so the first time someone shows up in the lineup or on the field we do have to refresh the facegen, but after that there shouldn't be any noticeable delays.

Andy 05-01-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Arnold (Post 4482381)
Are you talking about the whole screen flashing that title bar that says "generating picture", or just the individual photo on the box disappearing and reappearing?

We don't pre-gen the facegens for everyone on the team, so the first time someone shows up in the lineup or on the field we do have to refresh the facegen, but after that there shouldn't be any noticeable delays.

The individual photo disappears and reappears for the pitcher with every new batter.

Matt Arnold 05-01-2019 05:38 PM

If it's just the photo disappearing and reappearing, that may just be the page refresh, which there's nothing we can really do about. Generally speaking it should be pretty fast - it's only when we actually redo the facegen, when the bar comes across the top of the screen, that we can try preventing.

Andy 05-01-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Arnold (Post 4482493)
If it's just the photo disappearing and reappearing, that may just be the page refresh, which there's nothing we can really do about. Generally speaking it should be pretty fast - it's only when we actually redo the facegen, when the bar comes across the top of the screen, that we can try preventing.

Okay, I just don’t remember seeing it in any previous versions and I’ve typically been a classic 2D player. It doesn’t take that long to refresh, just a slight annoyance I can learn to deal with. Thanks for the response.

David Watts 05-04-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Arnold (Post 4482381)

How come the game doesn't have to flash like this during 3D play? There is now full screen explosion the first time through the lineup and every time a new pitcher is inserted. Awful

David Watts 05-04-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

I think I could live with the pitcher strobe, but coupled with the half screen explosion, it becomes too much and headache inducing. I've disabled facegen for now. I still wonder why the facegen doesn't require the screen to explode when playing 3D? Nor do we have the pitcher strobe. But, if the only solution to fix this is to bring back the 2D Classic choppiness that was 17 and 18, I will live with this. The actual on screen presentation with 20 may be the smoothest ever.....just wish the half screen explosion and pitcher strobe would go away.

David Watts 05-04-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

What's strange is the flash seems tied to any player info box movement. If you move the batters info box a little to the left or right, the pitchers facegen flashes.

David Watts 05-04-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 4482608)
Okay, I just don’t remember seeing it in any previous versions and I’ve typically been a classic 2D player. It doesn’t take that long to refresh, just a slight annoyance I can learn to deal with. Thanks for the response.

You don't remember it, because it didn't happen. I fired up 19 and there is no flash at all. If you select to only update Facegen on December 1st(or whatever the date is) you don't get the half screen explosion the first time through the order or when a pitching change/pinch hitter happens either. This is all new to OOTP20,

One other thing. When using 19 the batters facegen has to change with every at bat. Thing is, it changes, but it doesn't flash off and on. It simply changes to the new batters facegen.

David Watts 05-05-2019 06:28 PM

Andy, have you tried out Classic 3D? The strobe still takes place, but with the movement on the field, you may be able to ignore it better.

Andy 05-06-2019 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4484232)
Andy, have you tried out Classic 3D? The strobe still takes place, but with the movement on the field, you may be able to ignore it better.

Not with this version I haven’t. I really don’t care for any movement on the field to be honest. It’s either classic 2D or modern 2D for me.

David Watts 05-06-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 4484409)
Not with this version I haven’t. I really don’t care for any movement on the field to be honest. It’s either classic 2D or modern 2D for me.

I understand that completely. I tried it out, but went straight back to 2D Classic. Like you the movement on the field is distracting and It simply takes too long to play out a game watching the action versus reading it. Oh well, life goes on. Not going to let this stop me from enjoying the game.

Andy 05-06-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4484439)
I understand that completely. I tried it out, but went straight back to 2D Classic. Like you the movement on the field is distracting and It simply takes too long to play out a game watching the action versus reading it. Oh well, life goes on. Not going to let this stop me from enjoying the game.

Same here. I like reading the play by play and I'm a numbers guy (which is probably why this is my favorite sport) so while the play by play is going I'm also looking at the current batter's and pitcher's numbers and out of town scores. And, like you, I will keep enjoying the game.

David Watts 05-06-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 4484446)
Same here. I like reading the play by play and I'm a numbers guy (which is probably why this is my favorite sport) so while the play by play is going I'm also looking at the current batter's and pitcher's numbers and out of town scores. And, like you, I will keep enjoying the game.

I think for me a lot of it has to do with growing up playing the board game versions of Strat and APBA. Once a got a computer, I played the computer version of Strat, Statis Pro and Diamond Mind. All of those are text based games. I remember getting Micro League Baseball and it took me all of a week to realize I didn't enjoy it in the least.

Andy 05-06-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4484472)
I think for me a lot of it has to do with growing up playing the board game versions of Strat and APBA. Once a got a computer, I played the computer version of Strat, Statis Pro and Diamond Mind. All of those are text based games. I remember getting Micro League Baseball and it took me all of a week to realize I didn't enjoy it in the least.

I just turned 36 so I never got into the board games, though I probably would have liked them. When I was a kid I did play the graphic games like Front Page Sports and High Heat, but I always cared more about the realism than the graphics. Once OOTP came out, I bought V1 when I was 16 and never looked back.

David Watts 05-06-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 4484478)
I just turned 36 so I never got into the board games, though I probably would have liked them. When I was a kid I did play the graphic games like Front Page Sports and High Heat, but I always cared more about the realism than the graphics. Once OOTP came out, I bought V1 when I was 16 and never looked back.

OOTP ruined me for all those other games. Career play is simply addictive.

Matt Arnold 05-06-2019 12:24 PM

Okay, had another look through here, and there should be a couple things that we can do to help this out going forward.