OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Talk Sports (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   2019-2020 MLB Off Season speculation (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=307915)

ForeverRoyalKC 10-31-2019 08:58 PM

2019-2020 MLB Off Season speculation

Ok...let the speculation begin! Who goes where? What changes are coming to who?

I'll go out on a limb and say Gerrit Cole winds up with the Dodgers or Phillies.
Actually....that might not be much of a limb. :p

low 10-31-2019 09:07 PM

Of course. I'm hoping Attanasio will open up his checkbook and bring Cole to the Brewers. Hey, I can dream, can't I? Pitching, pitching, pitching.

Orcin 10-31-2019 09:13 PM

Rendon stays with the Nationals. Cole goes to the Angels.

The Cardinals will have a big offseason, signing a left-handed reliever and just missing on several big free agents.

pgjocki 10-31-2019 09:15 PM

Cole and Rendon to the Angel's
Strasburg to the Padres
Ozuna to the Mariners
Chapman stays with Yankees
Bryant traded to Red Sox
J.D. Martinez to White Sox

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pgjocki 10-31-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin (Post 4554735)
Rendon stays with the Nationals. Cole goes to the Angels.

The Cardinals will have a big offseason, signing a left-handed reliever and just missing on several big free agents.

As a long term Cardinals fan the truth here hurts

ForeverRoyalKC 10-31-2019 10:13 PM

I don't know, pgjocki and Orcin. I got a feeling the Cards are going to land a big FA. Maybe not a Cole or Rendon, but I kinda wonder if they might not just land a doozy!

ForeverRoyalKC 10-31-2019 10:18 PM

I also believe the Dodgers are going to land a BIG fish after their disappointment. Again!
Not sure if pitching or a bat. But I can see LAD going all in on at least one big one!

The Game 10-31-2019 10:27 PM

JD Martinez to White Sox
Ryu to White Sox
Strasburg to Cubs
Abreu to Marlins
Rendon stays
Cole to angels
Q to white Sox

ForeverRoyalKC 10-31-2019 10:30 PM

Strasburg to Cubs. Hmm...that's intriguing!

rink23 11-01-2019 12:46 AM

There will be no big free agent signings by the Cardinals.
They claim they're cash poor -- and while they won't say it, it is because of the combined $36 million owed to Carpenter and Fowler.
Which is their own dang fault for giving big money to a pair of aging never-really were star players.
They will sign yet another left-handed reliever who is past his prime and maybe a starting pitcher they can slide into the No. 4 or 5 slot, depending on what Wainwright does.
Don't see them grabbing a bat. Catcher and infield are set. Outfield is going to be Fowler and whichever of the young kids float to the top in Jupiter.
That is if Ozuna declines the qualifying offer, which I expect he will.
My biggest fear is both Wainwright and Molina will state before the season that this is it for both of them.
That will make the home-portion of the schedule an 81-game retirement tour. Virtually every night, there will be some kind of a giveaway tied to one of them.
DeWitt and Mo will figure that will sell 42,000 seats plus every game -- although by June 15 only 35,000 or fewer will be showing up -- and that will be enough for them to allow the roster they piece together out of spring training to ride out the length of the season.
If that's good enough to squeak into the postseason, great.
If not, it sure was fun watching Yadi and Waino right off into the sunset together.

thehef 11-01-2019 01:49 AM

I put the Dodgers' chances of signing Cole at about 1%. Current management just doesn't have the history of going top dollar on a long deal. And with a projected rotation of Bueller, Kershaw, Maeda, Urias, Gonsolin, May, and Stripling (not all 7 at once, of course), that's not their top need. (The biggest problems with the Dodgers' starting pitching isn't the pitchers, it's Dave Roberts use of them.) In the unlikely event that the Dodgers do decide to spend big-and-long on a starting pitcher, I'd think there's a better chance of them resigning Ryu that signing Cole. (I think Cole will go to the Angels.)

Their chances are probably higher - but not much - of landing Rendon instead. Justin Turner has talked about moving to 1st or 2nd base if they were to get Rendon, so perhaps there's some actual talk about that in the organization. Given the choice, I'd much rather have Rendon, who is exactly what the Dodgers need: A proven Big Bat that doesn't merely play well - but excels - in the postseason. Still, I don't see the Dodgers shelling out what Rendon will get on the open market.

Unless the Dodgers pull the trigger on the rumored deal for Lindor, they will probably (and should) spend money on the bullpen, an additional veteran starting pitcher who may lack 'wow-factor' but can eat innings (an outside chance of resigning Rich Hill), a veteran position player with a little bit of pop (or count on a healthy season from AJ Pollack - but what are the odds of that?), and possibly a veteran part-time catcher.

It'll be interesting to see what the Nats do. They will have decisions to make on key players such as Eaton, Kendrick, Zimmerman, Hudson, Gomes, and Doolittle. And is there any doubt Strasburg opts out? (Unless he is that rare player who is loyal to his team...) Surely he can get more than the 4-yrs, $100m left on his deal.

Surely they'll want to field a team that has a chance to defend its title. But can they afford to keep/replace enough of these guys? We'll see... My guess is that they find a way to keep Rendon and Strasburg, plus one or two of the others (Eaton and Gomes as the favorites?) and then try to patch away...

Cobra Mgr 11-01-2019 03:29 PM

Carlos Beltran is to be named Mets mgr.

whifflebird 11-02-2019 02:00 PM

Verlander traded back Detroit for a pair of underwhelming prospects.

One can dream...

ukhotstove 11-02-2019 02:56 PM

I will never understand athletes for as long as I live, the Nationals players mentioned in this thread earn or will earn enough money to last a lifetime even two or three. So why not sign a one year cheap extension to defend your crown, it's what I'd do or am I alone.

CBeisbol 11-02-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukhotstove (Post 4555466)
I will never understand athletes for as long as I live, the Nationals players mentioned in this thread earn or will earn enough money to last a lifetime even two or three. So why not sign a one year cheap extension to defend your crown, it's what I'd do or am I alone.

I'll never understand these BILLIONAIRE owners. Sign all your millionaire players to MASSIVE one year contacts to try and defend your title.

Of course, if any player gets injured or has a bad year, the owner should, then, give him a long term deal to make up the difference with what he would have gotten

thehef 11-02-2019 06:28 PM

Just read where Dodgers' bench coach Bob Geren is not a finalist for the Giants' managerial opening...

Hmm. After multiples seasons having ended prematurely at least in part due to Dave Roberts' highly-questionable decisions, why would anybody want to hire Bob Geren as their manager? (Unless, of course, that there's evidence of Roberts routinely ignoring Geren's sage advice.)

PocketsAintFull 11-06-2019 01:10 PM

‘The Best Free Agent at Every Position’

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-mlb-fr...every-position

rudel.dietrich 11-06-2019 03:05 PM

The Braves need pitching, but I would not mind if they offered Donaldson a big contract if it was a short term one.
Two years would be ideal and three max.

If it was 2/60 or 3/80 I would not really mind that.

With no salary cap and smarter teams I would not be surprised to see more teams offer huge yearly salaries on shorter deals to older players.

pgjocki 11-06-2019 10:22 PM

What's crazy is that the White Sox payroll is just a tad over $15 million or $3.5 million less than the Cardinals are paying Carpenter to hit .222 and 12 homeruns. The Sox could offer Cole and Strasburg $30 million each plus Rendon another $30 and still be over $100 million under the luxury tax.

ForeverRoyalKC 11-07-2019 01:09 PM

Hey pgjocki (and everybody else), here is an article you might find interesting. The very first team mentioned is the Cards.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/11/05...old-offseason/