OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3910)
-   -   The Anthology of the Texas Rangers (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=277875)

vrobx1 04-30-2017 06:47 PM

The Anthology of the Texas Rangers

I am going to do a historical simulation beginning in 1972, with the main focus being on my favorite team, the Texas Rangers, as they move from the nation's capital to the Lone Star State.

Texas Rangers Opening Day Lineup 1972:

BATTING ORDER
1. Elliott Maddox CF
2. Toby Harrah SS
3. Dave Nelson 3B
4. Frank Howard 1B
5. Larry Bittner LF
6. Jeff Burroughs RF
7. Ted Kubiak 2B
8. Ken Suarez C

PITCHING ROTATION
1. Bill Gogolewski
2. Dick Bosman
3. Pete Broberg
4. Rich Hand
5. Don Stanhouse

BULLPEN
CL Horacio Pina
SU: Paul Lindblad
MR: Mike Paul
MR: Casey Cox
MR: Jim Shellenback

MANAGER: Ted Williams

TOP PLAYERS:
Frank Howard
Don Mincher-backup 1B to Frank Howard
Bill Gogolewski

PRESEASON PREDICTIONS:
The Texas Rangers are predicted to go 59-103 and be the only team in the AL West to have a losing record.
The predicted division winners are: Baltimore Orioles, Oakland Athletics, Pittsburgh Pirates and Cincinnati Reds.

The Texas Rangers have no one picked to be in the Top 10 in hitters, pitchers or prospects.

In the Top 100 Prospects, the Rangers have SP Don Stanhouse at #27, CF Vic Harris at #70, CF Joe Lovitto at #85 and 2B Tom Ragland at #93.

The #1 Prospect of the Year is Rick Reuschel of the Chicago Cubs.

The Opening Day Game April 5th, 1972 will be the Houston Astros at the Cincinnati Reds. The Reds win 6-3. Tony Perez goes 3-for-4 with a double, a home run, 3 RBI and 2 runs scored. Lee May leads the Astros going 1-for-3 with a home run, 2 RBI, a run scored and a walk. The Reds Denis Menke goes 2-for-3 with an RBI and a walk.

The Texas Rangers will open the season on April 6th at home against the Kansas City Royals.
Also on April 6th:
Detroit Tigers at Boston Red Sox
Baltimore Orioles at New York Yankees
Oakland Athletics at Chicago White Sox
California Angels at Minnesota Twins
New York Mets at Pittsburgh Pirates
Houston Astros at Atlanta Braves
San Diego Padres at San Francisco Giants

David Watts 04-30-2017 08:35 PM

I'm guessing you have, but have you read "Seasons in Hell" by Mike Shropshire? Very entertaining book about the 73-75 Rangers.

vrobx1 04-30-2017 09:45 PM

Opening Day! April 6, 1972.
Kansas City Royals at Texas Rangers
Preview
SP Paul Splittorff vs Bill Gogolewski Advantage Royals
C Ed Kirkpatrick vs Ken Suarez Advantage Royals
1B John Mayberry Sr vs Frank Howard Advantage Royals
2B Cookie Rojas vs Lenny Randle Advantage Royals
3B Paul Schaal vs Dave Nelson Advantage Push
SS Freddie Patek vs Toby Harrah Advantage Royals
LF Lou Piniella vs Larry Bittner Advantage Royals
CF Amos Otis vs Elliott Maddox Advantage Royals
RF Richie Scheinblum vs Jeff Burroughs Advantage Royals

An absolute brutal looking matchup that does not favor the Rangers at any position should leave the Royals as a heavy favorite.

The first hit of the game is an infield single by Lou Piniella in the top of the first. Piniella also scores the first run of the game as John Mayberry gets a 2 out RBI single.

1-0 Royals after a half inning of play.

Toby Harrah gets the first hit in Rangers history with one out in the bottom of the first. However, his attempt to get the first stolen base in Rangers history goes down in flames. Dave Nelson is also thrown out as the Rangers go 0 for 2 in stolen base attempts in the first inning alone!

The Rangers came up with a defensive gem in the top of the second. With runners at first and second and one out, the Royals pitcher went for a sacrifice bunt but Texas turned it into a 1-6-3 double play!

More Rangers firsts. In the top of the third, Ken Suarez threw out the first steal attempt against the Rangers in team history and Lenny Randle made the first error in Rangers history. Gogolewski then recorded the first K in Rangers history, striking out Mayberry.

In the bottom of the third, Randle became the first Ranger in history to strike out. Two firsts for Randle that he'd rather not have. Splittorff went on to strike out the side.

1-0 Royals at the end of three.

In the bottom of the fourth, Harrah becomes the first Ranger to ever ground into a double play.

Elliott Maddox gets a single in the bottom of the sixth, becoming the first Ranger to ever have a multi-hit game.

After six, still 1-0 KC.

The Rangers get their first ever runner to second base in the bottom of the seventh as a Frank Howard single advances Dave Nelson. Nelson then steals third, becoming the first Ranger to have a stolen base. Howard advanced to second on the throw. Larry Bittner then singled for the Rangers first ever RBI. Don Mincher becomes the first ever Rangers pinch hitter but flies out without bringing Howard home from third. Ken Suarez is hit by a pitch to load the bases with two out. With the pitcher's spot up, Joe Lovitto is brought in to pinch hit and he comes through with a 2 run single! Maddox follows up with his third hit of the game to bring in a run. By the time the inning finally ends, Texas has plated 4 and taken a 4-1 lead!

Horacio Pina comes on to pitch in the eighth and allows a pair of runs as Kansas City cuts it to 4-3.

In the top of the ninth, Piniella drives in a run to tie the game at 4. Paul Lindblad then replaces Pina on the mound and gets a double play grounder to keep the score tied.

Mike Paul comed in to pitch the eleventh for the Rangers as their first ever game in Texas goes extra frames.

The Rangers loaded the bases in the bottom of the twelfth with one out and then Larry Bittner ended the game with an RBI single!

Final Texas 5 Kansas City 4

Player of the Game: Bill Gogolewski 7 IP 5 H 1 R 1 ER 2 BB 2 K

Other scores:
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Detroit 7 Boston 6
New York 2 Baltimore 1
Chicago 3 Oakland 2
Minnesota 4 California 1

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Pittsburgh 8 New York 5
Houston 7 Atlanta 6
San Francisco 4 San Diego 3

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Mel Stottlemyre, Sr. New York Yankees 9.0 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, W

2. Bob Watson Houston Astros 4 for 5, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R

3. Norm Cash Detroit Tigers 2 for 5, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 R

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

vrobx1 04-30-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4191766)
I'm guessing you have, but have you read "Seasons in Hell" by Mike Shropshire? Very entertaining book about the 73-75 Rangers.

Actually I have not read that! I'll be looking for that on Amazon this payday!

vrobx1 04-30-2017 11:32 PM

APRIL 7, 1972
The Rangers will face the Royals in the second game of their series.

In the other AL games, Baltimore visits the Yankees and the Indians travel to Milwaukee.

In the National League, it will be the Montreal Expos hosting the Chicago Cubs, the Philadelphia Phillies on the road to meet the St Louis Cardinals and the Cincinnati Reds hit the West Coast to battle the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Kansas City Royals 0-1 at Texas Rangers 1-0
Preview
SP Dick Drago vs Dick Bosman Advantage Royals
2B Cookie Rojas vs Ted Kubiak Advantage Royals
RF Richie Schienblum vs Jeff Burroughs Advantage Royals
Like the season opener, the matchups almost unanimously favor the Royals. The Rangers took the first game despite committing three errors and not getting one extra-base hit.

Mayberry is the first batter to hit a home run in Arlington Stadium, as he belts one to lead off the top of the second.

Just like in the opener, the Royals had a 1-0 lead at the end of the third inning.

The Rangers first hit of the game came with one out in the bottom of the fourth, a Frank Howard single. One out later, Jeff Burroughs tied the game with an RBI single.

Ken Suarez led off the bottom of the fifth with a double, the first extra base hit in Texas Rangers history. One out later, Elliott Maddox singled him home for a 2-1 Rangers lead.

Paul Schall slapped a 2 run double to deep center in the top of the sixth to give the Royals the lead back.

Through six, Royals 3 Rangers 2.

In the top of the eighth, the Rangers committed their second error of the game and fifth on the season to allow the Royals to load the bases with nobody out.

And Bosman got a strike out and two groundouts to get out of the inning without allowing a run!

Not one of the five errors committed has led to a run being scored!

That changed in the top of the ninth as the Rangers third error of the game helped the Royals plate a run, albeit an earned run charged to Bosman.

The Rangers came to bat in the bottom of the ninth trailing 4-2 but with the middle of the order due up.

Alas, all they could muster was a harmless two out single by Burroughs and then Don Mincher grounded out to end the game.

Final score: Kansas City 4 Texas 2

Player of the Game: Dick Drago 7.0 IP 6 H 2 R 2 ER 3 BB 1 K

Other Scores:
AMERICAN LEAGUE
New York 6 Baltimore 2
Milwaukee 4 Cleveland 0

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Chicago 10 Montreal 0
Philadelphia 3 St Louis 0
Cincinnati 3 Los Angeles 0

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Jack Billingham Cincinnati Reds 9.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, W

2. Fergie Jenkins Chicago Cubs 9.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, W

3. Skip Lockwood Milwaukee Brewers 9.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, W

vrobx1 05-01-2017 03:11 AM

APRIL 8, 1972
The hot topic in baseball are the dominating pitching performances from the day before.

In addition to Billingham, Jenkins and Lockwood, Steve Carlton pitched a complete game shutout on April 7th for the Phillies against the Cardinals.

Game 3 of the four game series between the Royals and Rangers is today.

We have a full slate of games today. In the American League we have Detroit at Boston, Baltimore at New York, Cleveland at Milwaukee, Oakland at Chicago and California at Minnesota.

In the National League, we will have Chicago at Montreal, New York at Pittsburgh, Philadelphia at St Louis, Houston at Atlanta, San Diego at San Francisco and Cincinnati at Los Angeles.

Kansas City Royals at Texas Rangers
Preview
SP Bruce Dal Canton vs Pete Broberg Advantage Royals
No change in the position players or matchup advantages as again the Royals appear to be the superior team in all but one position, and even there it's ranked even.

Through the first three innings, each team had just one hit.

Royals 0 Rangers 0.

Kubiak broke the tie in the bottom of the fifth with an RBI groundout.

At the end of six, Texas 1 Kansas City 0.

Pitching was totally dominant in this game. Through seven innings, Texas had just two hits and the Royals only had one.

Needing offense, the Royals sent in a pinch hitter for the pitcher in the top of the eighth but still came away empty.

Broberg finished his masterful performance with a 3-up 3-down ninth as the Rangers got the 1-0 victory and their first error-free game in their history in Texas.

Pete Broberg, obviously, was the player of the game. 9.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K.

In other AL scores:
New York 4 Baltimore 0
Milwaukee 3 Cleveland 2
Oakland 5 Chicago 3
Minnesota 3 California 2
Detroit at Boston ppd

NL scores:
Montreal 8 Chicago 3
Pittsburgh 5 New York 4
St Louis 5 Philadelphia 4
Houston 7 Atlanta 6
San Diego 3 San Francisco 2
Cincinnati 8 Los Angeles 2

Top Performers
1. Reggie Jackson Oakland Athletics 3 for 4, 3B, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 3 R

2. Pete Broberg Texas Rangers 9.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, W

3. Dusty Baker Atlanta Braves 4 for 5, HR, RBI, 3 R, BB

vrobx1 05-01-2017 05:05 AM

April 9, 1972

Pete Broberg's dominating performance was a big story in the baseball world but there was also huge news out of San Francisco. SP Juan Marichal was done for the year with a torn rotator cuff.

A full slate of action plus took place on the 9th. Besides Kansas City at Texas, the AL had a double header in Boston between the Tigers and Red Sox, plus Baltimore at New York, Cleveland at Milwaukee, Oakland at Chicago and California at Minnesota.

The NL had two double headers with Houston at Atlanta as well as San Diego at San Francisco. Other NL games were Chicago at Montreal, New York at Pittsburgh, Philadelphia at St Louis and Cincinnati at Los Angeles.

Kansas City Royals 1-2 at Texas Rangers 2-1
Preview
SP Mike Hedlund vs Don Stanhouse Advantage Royals
Once again viewing the matchups, it was a great start for the Rangers to be guaranteed at least a split.

The Rangers failed to record a hit in the first three innings but the Royals could get no runs and the game was scoreless after three.

The same was true after six innings as the Rangers were still looking for their first hit of the game.

The seventh inning came and went and Texas still did not have a hit. But the Royals still did not have a run.

The Rangers went to the bullpen in the top of the eighth and the Royals took advantage of Horacio Pena, scoring 4 runs, three of then charged to Pina.

Meanwhile, with two out in the bottom of the eighth, Maddox singled to left to break up the no-hitter.

The Rangers got one more hit in the bottom of the ninth but that was all.

Final score: Kansas City 4 Texas 0

Player of the game: Mike Hedlund 8.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 7 K.

AL SCORES
Boston 2 Detroit 1 Game 1
Boston 7 Detroit 6 Game 2
Baltimore 7 New York 1
Milwaukee 8 Cleveland 3
Chicago 7 Oakland 1
Minnesota 3 California 0

NL SCORES
Houston 8 Atlanta 4 Game 1
Atlanta 3 Houston 2 Game 2
Chicago 7 Montreal 2
Pittsburgh 1 New York 0
Philadelphia 4 St Louis 1 13 innings
San Diego 9 San Francisco 2 Game 1
San Diego 3 San Francisco 0 Game 2
Los Angeles 3 Cincinnati 2 13 innings

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Leron Lee San Diego Padres 6 for 9, 2 2B, RBI, 3 R, BB

2. Mike Hedlund Kansas City Royals 8.1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 7 K, W

3. Jon Matlack New York Mets 8.2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K

vrobx1 05-01-2017 05:33 AM

April 10, 1972

An off day for the Rangers. Here are the standings in the AL West:
Minnesota 3-0
Chicago 2-1
Kansas City 2-2
Texas 2-2
Oakland 1-2
California 0-3

Elliott Maddox leads the Rangers with a .462 batting average. Dick Bosman leads the team with 9 strikeouts.

Team Totals and League Rankings
Runs Scored 8 t-9th
Batting Average .211 9th
OBP .289 7th
Home Runs 0 t-10th
Stolen Bases 2 t-1st
Runs Against 12 7th
Starters ERA 1.69 3rd
Bullpen ERA 6.43 11th
Defensive Eff. .710 7th

League News
Pittsburgh's Steve Blass pitched a complete game shutout against the Mets

Minnesota SP Jim Perry blanked the Angels.

New York Yankees LF Roy White was named AL Star of the Week.

Cincinnati Reds 1B Tony Perez was named NL Player of the Week.

Pirates pitcher Dave Giusti has a partially torn labrum and will miss 4 months.

The Texas Rangers were ranked #13 in the power rankings.

Today's Schedule of games.

AL
Milwaukee at Baltimore
Chicago at Minnesota

NL
Montreal at Philadelphia
San Diego at Houston
Atlanta at Los Angeles

Final scores
AL
Baltimore 6 Milwaukee 3
Chicago 5 Minnesota 1

NL
Philadelphia 2 Montreal 1
San Diego 3 Houston 2 10 innings
Atlanta 4 Los Angeles 1

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Woodie Fryman Philadelphia Phillies 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, W

2. Al Downing Los Angeles Dodgers 9.0 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 7 K

3. Bart Johnson Chicago White Sox 7.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, W

vrobx1 05-02-2017 01:12 AM

I am going to try something that may make my storyline unique to the forum and create a fictional version of myself. I was 5 years old in 1972 so this could be quite challenging to tell this story through the eyes of a 5 year old.

vrobx1 05-02-2017 01:28 AM

I was sitting in my daddy's truck, playing with his radio when I first heard about the Texas Rangers.

I was just 5 years old and did not know what sports was. I had not seen a baseball game ever.

I did know of the Dallas Cowboys, my daddy's favorite sports team. But daddy didn't care for baseball.

He was out talking to a neighbor about car parts and oil changes and I was just changing the radio stations when I found the Texas Rangers baseball game.

The announcers were really excited as the Rangers had taken the lead on the Royals when daddy got back in the truck.

And changed the radio back to his country music station.

We went home and I ran to my room and my own little radio. I searched and searched until I found that Rangers game.

They were tied with the Royals and I listened, fascinated, as the announcers described the action. The Rangers would end up winning the game in extra innings and I became a Rangers fan without even knowing what that was.

"They won, daddy! "

"Who?"

"The Texas Rangers, daddy!"

"Yeah, good. Now eat your dinner and take a bath, boy."

Daddy was not impressed.

vrobx1 05-02-2017 02:49 PM

APRIL 11, 1972

The Rangers hit the West Coast for a three-game series against Oakland.

The only other big story in baseball is the Houston Astros placed CF Cesar Cedeno on the DL because of a torn ligament in his thumb. He is expected to miss 5 weeks.

Other games scheduled for April 11:
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Boston (2-1) at Cleveland (0-3)
New York (3-1) at Detroit (1-2)
Chicago (3-1) at Minnesota (3-1)
California (0-3) at Kansas City (2-2)

NATIONAL LEAGUE
St Louis (1-2) at New York (0-3)
Pittsburgh (3-0) at Chicago (2-1)
San Francisco (1-3) at Cincinnati (3-1)
San Diego (4-1) at Houston (3-3)
Atlanta (2-3) at Los Angeles (1-3)

TEXAS RANGERS (2-2) AT OAKLAND ATHLETICS (1-2)
MATCHUPS
P Bill Gogolewski vs Vida Blue Advantage: Oakland
C Ken Suaez vs Gene Tenace Advantage: Oakland
1B Frank Howard vs Mike Epstein Advantage: Push'
2B Lenny Randle vs Dick Green Advantage: Oakland
3B Dave Nelson vs Sal Bando Advantage: Oakland
SS Toby Harrah vs Bert Campaneris Advantage: Oakland
LF Larry Biittner vs Joe Rudi Advantage: Oakland
CF Elliott Maddox vs Angel Mangual Advantage: Push
RF Jeff Burroughs vs Reggie Jackson Advantage: Oakland

The pitchers were in control early. Through three innings, the Rangers had just one hit and had already ground into a pair of double plays.

The A's broke through in the bottom of the third. Thanks to another Texas error. Sal Bando got an RBI single and Reggie Jackson scored on a wild pitch.

After three: Oakland 2 Texas 0.

In the bottom of the fifth, Gogolewski struck out the side.

But, through six innings, the Rangers still had just one hit and were still scoreless despite the fact that Blue had walked four and the A's had committed two errors.

Gogolewski struck out the side again in the bottom of the sixth, running his K total for the game up to nine.

After six: Oakland 2 Texas 0.

Mike Paul came in to pitch with two out and a runner on in the bottom of the seventh and he gave up an RBI double to Sal Bando.

After seven: Oakland 3 Texas 0.

The Rangers loaded the bases in the top of the eighth as the A's committed their third error of the game but Texas still failed to score.

The Rangers went down in order in the top of the ninth, making it 22 straight scoreless innings for Texas.

Final score: Oakland 3 Texas 0.

Player of the Game: Vida Blue. 9.0 IP 2 H 0 R 0 ER 5 BB 9 K

OTHER SCORES
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Boston 2 Cleveland 1
New York 2 Detroit 1
Minnesota 2 Chicago 1 10 innings
California 2 Kansas City 1

NATIONAL LEAGUE
New York 3 St Louis 1
Pittsburgh 4 Chicago 3
Cincinnati 3 San Francisco 0
Houston 4 San Diego 2
Atlanta 7 Los Angeles 0

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Gary Nolan Cincinnati Reds 9.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, W

2. Vida Blue Oakland Athletics 9.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 5 BB, 9 K, W

3. Phil Niekro Atlanta Braves 9.0 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, W

vrobx1 05-02-2017 03:42 PM

APRIL 12, 1972

Texas is at Oakland for the second game of the series.

The Atlanta Braves placed SP Ron Schueler on the DL because of bone chips in his elbow. He is expected to miss 4-5 months.

OTHER GAMES SCHEDULED
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Milwaukee 3-1 at Baltimore 2-3
Boston 3-1 at Cleveland 0-4
Chicago 3-2 at Minnesota 4-1
California 1-3 at Kansas City 2-3

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Pittsburgh 4-0 at Chicago 2-2
Montreal 1-3 at Philadelphia 3-1
San Francisco 1-4 at Cincinnati 4-1
San Diego 4-2 at Houston 4-3
Atlanta 3-3 at Los Angeles 1-4

TEXAS RANGERS (2-3) AT OAKLAND ATHLETICS (2-2)
MATCHUPS
P Dick Bosmani vs Blue Moon Odom Advantage: Texas
1B Frank Howard vs Mike Epstein Advantage: Push'
2B Ted Kubiak vs Dick Green Advantage: Oakland

For the first time ever, the Rangers have a matchup advantage!

The drought ends in the top of the second! Jeff Burroughs leads off with the first ever home run hit by a Texas Ranger!

After three: Texas 1 Oakland 0.

In the top of the fifth, clean-up hitter Frank Howard finally got his first RBI of the season, smashing a 2-run homer to give Texas a 3-0 lead. One out later and Burroughs had his second solo shot of the game to make it 4-0.

Meanwhile, Bosman continued to blank the A's.

After six: Texas 4 Oakland 0.

The Rangers continued to make up for their lack of runs the previous three games. In the top of the seventh, Larry Biittner added an RBI single to make it 5-0.

The A's got an unearned run in the bottom of the seventh and then Reggie Jackson hit a 3-run homer and just like that it was 5-4. All runs courtesy of an error. Finally, an error had come back to bite Texas hard!

The Rangers pinch hit for Bosman in the top of the eighth and then, in the bottom of the eighth, brought in Horacio Pina to pitch. In 2.1 innings of relief, he had mustered up a horrendous 19.29 ERA. Pina held the A's to a harmless walk in the eighth and the game headed to the ninth with Texas still leading 5-4.

Jim Mason had come in as a defensive replacement in the eighth and led off the top of the ninth with a double and moved to third on a Dave Nelson ground ball. Frank Howard then drew an intentional walk. Biittner then brought home Mason with a sac fly to make it 6-4 Texas.

Pina got the first two in the bottom of the ninth but then Angel Mangual doubled and that brought up Reggie Jackson. Pina walked Jackson on four pitches and then Sal Bando came to bat.

And Pina got him to ground to short to end the game!

Final score: Texas 5 Oakland 4.

Player of the Game: Reggie Jackson 4 AB, 3 H, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 0 LOB

OTHER SCORES
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Milwaukee 6 Baltimore 4
Boston 5 Cleveland 2
Chicago 5 Minnesota 2
Kansas City 6 California 5

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Pittsburgh 8 Chicago 7
Montreal 5 Philadelphia 2
San Francisco 5 Cincinnati 3 10 innings
Houston 8 San Diego 1
Atlanta 1 Los Angeles 0

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Don Sutton Los Angeles Dodgers 9.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 10 K

2. Carlos May Chicago White Sox 2-for-2, 2 HR, 2 RBI, 2 R, 2 BB

3. Ron Reed Atlanta Braves 8.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, W

vrobx1 05-02-2017 04:59 PM

APRIL 13, 1972

The rubber match in Oakland between the Rangers and Athletics.

OTHER GAMES
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Milwaukee (4-1) at Baltimore (2-4)
Boston (4-1) at Cleveland (0-5)
New York (4-1) at Detroit (1-3)
Chicago (4-2) at Minnesota (4-2)
California (1-4) at Kansas City (3-3)

NATIONAL LEAGUE
St Louis (1-3) at New York (1-3)
Pittsburgh (5-0) at Chicago (2-3)
San Francisco (2-4) at Cincinnati (4-2)
San Diego (4-3) at Houston (5-3)

TEXAS RANGERS (3-3) AT OAKLAND ATHLETICS (2-3)
MATCHUPS
P Pete Broberg vs Catfish Hunter Advantage: Oakland
1B Frank Howard vs Mike Epstein Advantage: Texas
2B Ted Kubiak vs Dick Green Advantage: Oakland

The Rangers get on the board in the top of the first. A Frank Howard ground out brings home Elliott Maddox. Ken Suarez also gets an RBI in the top of the second, another ground ball out, this one brings home Jeff Burroughs. Oakland gets one back in the bottom of the second and two more in the third.

After three: Oakland 3 Texas 2.

The Athletics commit a pair of errors in the top of the fifth and Toby Harrah takes advantage and drives in a pair of runs to give the Rangers the lead back.

After six: Texas 4 Oakland 3.

The Rangers pinch-hit for Broberg in the seventh and then brought in Paul Lindblad to pitch the seventh and then Mike Paul to pitch the eighth.

The bullpen shut down the Athletics and Texas had taken two out of three in Oakland!

Final score: Texas 4 Oakland 3.

Player of the game: Catfish Hunter 9.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K

OTHER SCORES
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Milwaukee 2 Baltimore 0
Cleveland 4 Boston 2
New York 12 Detroit 0
Chicago 7 Minnesota 4 12 innings
California 3 Kansas City 2

NATIONAL LEAGUE
St Louis 5 New York 0
Chicago 4 Pittsburgh 3
San Francisco 5 Cincinnati 1
San Diego 2 Houston 1

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Bobby Murcer New York Yankees 3-for-4, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 4 R, 2 BB

2. Jim Lonborg Milwaukee Brewers 9.0 IP, 7 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 9 K, W

3. Bob Gibson St Louis Cardinals 9.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, W

vrobx1 05-05-2017 10:36 PM

April 14, 1972

The Rangers travel a little ways down from Oakland to take on the California Angels.

One more big performance from the 13th came from Yankees SP Fritz Peterson who blanked Detroit.

OTHER GAMES SCHEDULED
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Boston 4-2 at Detroit 1-4
New York 5-1 at Baltimore 2-5
Chicago 5-2 at Kansas City 3-4
Minnesota 4-3 at Oakland 2-4

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Pittsburgh 5-1 at New York 1-4
Philadelphia 3-2 at Chicago 3-3
Los Angeles 1-5 at Cincinnati 4-3
Montreal 2-3 at St Louis 2-3
Atlanta 4-3 at San Diego 5-3

TEXAS RANGERS 4-3 AT CALIFORNIA ANGELS 2-4
MATCHUPS
SP Don Stanhouse vs Rudy May Advantage California
C Hal King vs John Stephenson Advantage Push
1B Frank Howard vs Jim Spencer Advantage Texas
2B Lenny Randle vs Sandy Alomar Sr Advantage California
3B Dave Nelson vs Ken McMullen Advantage California
SS Toby Harrah vs Leo Cardenas Advantage Texas
LF Larry Biittner vs Vada Pinson Advantage California
CF Elliott Maddox vs Ken Berry Advantage California
RF Jeff Burroughs vs Leroy Stanton Advantage Texas

The Rangers take a few position matchups but again overall look like the underogs once again. But they have held their own as underdogs so far.

Randle gets the Rangers on the board first with an RBI double in the top of the second. Meanwhile, Stanhouse had not allowed a base runner through three innings.

After three: Texas 1 California 0.

The Rangers loaded the bases but failed to score in the fourth. The Angels got their first hit of the game in the bottom of the same inning and went on to take the lead after plating a pair.

The Angels took advantage of an error in the fifth to add another run.

After six: California 3 Texas 1.

Biittner got a two out double in the top of the eighth as the Angels had gone to their bullpen but, one walk later, Don Mincher came in to pinch hit but struck out to strand two.

In the top of the ninth, Toby Harrah singled with two outs and Joe Lovitto at first but Lovitto was thrown out trying to go to third to end the game.

Final score: California 3 Texas 1.

PLAYER OF THE GAME
Rudy May 7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 8 K.

OTHER SCORES
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Detroit 11 Boston 3
Baltimore 3 New York 1
Chicago 9 Kansas City 3
Oakland 5 Minnesota 1

NATIONAL LEAGUE
New York 4 Pittsburgh 0
Philadelphia 8 Chicago 5
Cincinnati 3 Los Angeles 2
Montreal 1 St Louis 0
Atlanta 9 San Diego 3 10 innings

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Jon Matlack New York Mets 9.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, W

2. Norm Cash Detroit Tigers 2 for 4, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 2 R

3. Mike Cuellar Baltimore Orioles 9.0 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, W

vrobx1 05-06-2017 02:27 AM

APRIL 15, 1972

Texas is at California for the second game of the three game series.

From the 14th, Montreal's Ernie McAnally was the pitcher who gunned down the Cardinals to get the shutout.

OTHER GAMES
AMERICAN LEAGUE
New York 5-2 at Baltimore 3-5
Milwaukee 5-1 at Cleveland 1-5
Boston 4-3 at Detroit 2-4
Chicago 6-2 at Kansas City 3-5
Minnesota 4-4 at Oakland 3-4

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Pittsburgh 5-2 at New York 2-4
Los Angeles 1-6 at Cincinnati 5-3
Philadelphia 4-2 at Chicago 3-4
Montreal 3-3 at St Louis 2-4
San Francisco 3-4 at Houston 5-4
Atlanta 5-3 at San Diego 5-4

TEXAS RANGERS 4-4 AT CALIFORNIA ANGELS 3-4
MATCHUP
SP Rich Hand vs Alan Foster Advantage California
C Ken Suarez vs John Stephenson Advantage Texas
2B Ted Kubiak vs Sandy Alomar Sr Advantage California
3B Dave Nelson vs Andy Kosco Advantage Texas
For the first time this season, Texas has the better matchups.

The Rangers failed to take advantage of an error in the first as they strand runners at second and third. But a leadoff double in the top of the second does pay off as Maddox comes through with a two out RBI single.

In the bottom of the third, the Angels loaded the bases with nobody out and ended up scoring a pair.

After three: California 2 Texas 1.

Texas took advantage of a pair of errors in the fifth, putting three unearned runs on the board. It could have been more but they stranded the bases loaded.

The Angels committed their fourth error in the top of the sixth to allow the Rangers to load the bases with nobody out. Frank Howard then drew a four pitch walk to bring in another run. A wild pitch helped plate another. Biittner walked to again load the bases with nobody out as Foster walked the eighth batter of the game to tie an AL record. The Angels committed another error leading to another run and the Angels made a pitching change. Kubiak grounded into a double play but it did bring home another run. Suarez was then walked intentionally so the pitcher would come up to bat. And Rich Hand grounded out to retire the side and, again, Texas left them full. But they had also scored seven runs in the last two innings.

After six: Texas 8 California 2.

A seventh inning Texas error led to three runs and just like that it was 8-5.

The Rangers stranded runners at second and third in the eighth.

Pina would pitch the last two innings for Texas, giving up just a two out double in the bottom of the ninth before ending it with a strikeout.

Final score: Texas 8 California 5.

It was an ugly game. The teams combined for 8 errors. 11 Rangerd drew a base on balls. Texas had 13 LOB.

Player of the Game: Rich Hand 7.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K

OTHER SCORES
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Baltimore 2 New York 0
Cleveland 4 Milwaukee 1
Boston 8 Detroit 3
Kansas City 5 Chicago 3
Minnesota 5 Oakland 4

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Pittsburgh 4 New York 1
Cincinnati 2 Los Angeles 1 13 innings
Philadelphia 12 Chicago 9
Montreal 7 St Louis 3
Houston 11 San Francisco 5
Atlanta 4 San Diego 1

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Randy Hundley Chicago Cubs 4 for 5, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, 2 R

2. Dick Tidrow Cleveland Indians 8.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, W

3. Nelson Briles Pittsburgh Pirates 9.0 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, W

During the Pirates vs Mets, a fight broke out, leading to the suspension of Pittsburgh's Bob Robertson and New York's Gary Gentry.

vrobx1 05-06-2017 04:09 AM

APRIL 16, 1972

The rubber match between the Rangers and Angels happens today. Can Texas go 4-2 on this West Coast visit?

Some injury news to report around the majors. Minnesota placed 1B Harmon Killebrew on the DL with a torn labrum. He will miss 4-5 months. Also, Pittsburgh CF Al Oliver will miss 4-5 months with an elbow sprain and has been placed on the DL.

OTHER GAMES SCHEDULED
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Milwaukee 5-2 at Cleveland 2-5 (2)
New York 5-3 at Baltimore 4-5 (2)
Boston 5-3 at Detroit 2-5
Chicago 6-3 at Kansas City 4-5 (2)
Minnesota 5-4 at Oakland 3-5

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Los Angeles 1-7 at Cincinnati 6-3
Pittsburgh 6-2 at New York 2-5
Montreal 4-3 at St Louis 2-5
Philadelphia 5-2 at Chicago 3-5
San Francisco 3-5 at Houston 6-4
Atlanta 6-3 at San Diego 5-5 (2)

TEXAS RANGERS 5-4 at CALIFORNIA 3-5
MATCHUP
SP Bill Gogolewski vs Andy Messersmith Advantage California
C Ken Suarez vs John Stephenson Advantage Push
2B Ted Kubiak vs Sandy Alomar Sr Advantage California
3B Dave Nelson vs Andy Kosco Advantage Push
Looks like a barely advantage for Texas again.

The Angels start the game off with an error and the Rangers get bases loaded no outs in the top of the first. Frank Howard then drew a 5 pitch walk to bring home the first run of the game. One out later, Burroughs added an RBI single. Kubiak followed up with a two run double. The Rangers would again strand the bases loaded but they got four runs in also.

The Angels would get one back in the bottom of the first.

In the top of the second, Frank Howard drove in a run with a ground rule double and Biittner added a sac fly RBI.

After three: Texas 6 California 1.

Biittner led off the top of the fourth with a triple and Burroughs brought him home with a double.

After six: Texas 7 California 1.

The Angels got a run in the seventh to make the score 7-2.

But they would get no more.

Final score: Texas 7 California 2.

PLAYER OF THE GAME
Bill Gogolewski 7.0 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

OTHER SCORES
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Cleveland 3 Milwaukee 1 Game 1
Milwaukee 5 Cleveland 2 Game 2
New York 5 Baltimore 2 Game 1
Baltimore 6 New York 5 10 innings Game 2
Detroit 7 Boston 0
Kansas City 5 Chicago 3 Game 1
Chicago 7 Kansas City 6 10 innings Game 2
Minnesota 1 Oakland 0

NATIONAL LEAGUE
New York 7 Pittsburgh 1
Cincinnati 6 Los Angeles 0
Chicago 4 Philadelphia 3
St Louis 8 Montreal 7
Houston 5 San Francisco 1
Atlanta 5 San Diego 1(Game 1)
Atlanta at San Diego postponed (Game 2)

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Jim Wynn Houston Astros 2 for 2, 2 HR. 3 RBI, 3 R, 2 BB

2. Ted Simmons St Louis Cardinals 4 for 5, HR, 5 RBI, R

3. Cookie Rojas Kansas City Royals 5 for 9, HR, 5 4BI, R

vrobx1 05-06-2017 10:24 PM

APRIL 17, 1972

The Rangers had a day off to travel to Chicago.

STANDINGS
AMERICAN LEAGUE
EAST
Milwaukee 6-3
New York 6-4
Boston 5-4
Baltimore 5-6
Detroit 3-5
Cleveland 3-6

WEST
Chicago 7-4
Minnesota 6-4
Texas 6-4
Kansas City 5-6
California 3-6
Oakland 3-6

NATIONAL LEAGUE
EAST
Pittsburgh 6-3
Philadelphia 5-3
Montreal 4-4
Chicago 4-5
New York 3-5
St Louis 3-5

WEST
Atlanta 7-3
Cincinnati 7-3
Houston 7-4
San Diego 5-6
San Francisco 3-6
Los Angeles 1-8

TEXAS RANGERS TEAM LEADERS
Batting Average Larry Biittner and Elliott Maddox .316
Home Runs Jeff Burroughs 2
RBI Jeff Burroughs 7
ERA Pete Broberg and Don Stanhouse 1.80
Wins Pete Broberg 2
Strikeouts Bill Gogolewski 15

TEXAS RANGERS TEAM STATS AND AL RANK
Runs Scored 34 6th
Batting Average .209 12th
OBP .316 5th
Home Runs 3 t-9th
Stolen Bases 5 5th
Runs Against 32 6th
Starters ERA 1.95 1st
Bullpen ERA 2.60 6th
Defensive Eff. .694 8th

INJURIES
Lenny Randle diagnosis pending.

POWER RATINGS
The Atlanta Braves are at the top of the Power Rankings. The Rangers come in at #9.

Bob Watson Houston Astros has the longest current hitting streak at 11 games.

SCHEDULED GAMES
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Cleveland 3-6 at Boston 5-4
NATIONAL LEAGUE
St Louis 3-5 at Philadelphia 5-3
Los Angeles 1-8 at Atlanta 7-3
San Francisco 3-6 at Houston 7-4

SCORES
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Boston 4 Cleveland 1
NATIONAL LEAGUE
St Louis 6 Philadelphia 5 11 innings
Los Angeles 5 Atlanta 4
San Francisco 1 Houston 0

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Jim Barr San Francisco Giants 9.0 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, W

2. Ken Forsch Houston Astros 9.0 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K

3. Ted Simmons St Louis Cardinals 3 for 5, HR, 3 RBI, 2 R, BB

vrobx1 05-07-2017 12:18 AM

APRIL 18, 1972

The Rangers play two games in Chicago against the first place White Sox.

Oakland has traded CF Joe Pepitone to the Cubs for C Dave Duncan.

OTHER GAMES SCHEDULED
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Cleveland 3-7 at Boston 6-4
Detroit 3-5 at Baltimore 5-6
Milwaukee 6-3 at New York 6-4
Minnesota 6-4 at California 3-6
Kansas City 5-6 at Oakland 3-6

NATIONAL LEAGUE
New York 3-5 at Montreal 4-4
Chicago 4-5 at Pittsburgh 6-3
Los Angeles 2-8 at Atlanta 7-4
St Louis 4-5 at Philadelphia 5-4
Houston 7-5 at Cincinnati 7-3
San Francisco 4-6 at San Diego 5-5

TEXAS RANGERS 6-4 AT CHICAGO WHITE SOX 7-4
MATCHUPS
SP Dick Bosman vs Tom Bradley Advantage Chicago
C Dick Billings vs Ed Herman Advantage Chicago
1B Don Mincher vs Dick Allen Advantage Chicago
2B Ted Kubiak vs Mike Andrews Advantage Chicago
3B Dave Nelson vs Bill Melton Advantage Chicago
SS Toby Harrah vs Jorge Orta Advantage Texas
LF Jeff Burroughs vs Carlos May Advantage Texas
CF Elliott Maddox vs Jay Johnstone Advantage Texas
RF Larry Biittner vs Pat H Kelly Advantage Chicago
The matchups heavily favor Chicago but the Rangers have been the underdog all year already.

Chicago got on the board in the first as Bill Melton launched a two-run homer 406 feet. The White Sox added an unearned run later in the same inning, totalling three runs in the inning.

The Texas bats struggled again, getting just one hit in the first three innings.

After three: Chicago 3 Texas 0.

Dick Billings slammed a two-run shot 405 feet to make it a one run game in the fourth inning. Still in the fourth, the Rangers loaded the bases with one out and then tied it on Chicago's third error of the game. Maddox then popped out and Toby Harrah struck out to strand them full.

Chicago got a run back in the bottom of the fourth to retake the lead.

After six: Chicago 4 Texas 3.

Toby Harrah tied the game with an RBI single in the seventh as both teams were now in their bullpen. Chicago quickly retook the lead in the bottom of the seventh against Paul Lindblad.

The Rangers were down a run in the top of the ninth. Ted Ford got a one out single and then Dave Nelson drew a two out walk. But then Jeff Burroughs struck out to end the game.

Final score: Chicago 5 Texas 4.

PLAYER OF THE GAME
Carlos May 3-for-3, R, BB

OTHER SCORES
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Boston 3 Cleveland 2
Baltimore 4 Detroit 2
New York 3 Milwaukee 2
California 1 Minnesota 0
Oakland 5 Kansas City 2

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Montreal 4 New York 3
Chicago 8 Pittsburgh 0
Atlanta 7 Los Angeles 6
St Louis 10 Philadelphia 5
Houston 4 Cincinnati 2
San Francisco 9 San Diego 0

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Nolan Ryan California Angels 9.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 11 K, W

2. Sam McDowell San Francisco Giants 9.0 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 4 BB, 9 K, W

3. Mike Epstein Oakland Athletics 2 for 3, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 2 R, BB

Also of note, Chicago Cubs got a complete game shutout win from Fergie Jenkins.

vrobx1 05-07-2017 03:36 AM

APRIL 19, 1972

The second of two games in Chicago.

OTHER GAMES SCHEDULED
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Cleveland 3-8 at Boston 7-4
Milwaukee 6-4 at New York 7-4
Detroit 3-6 at Baltimore 6-6
Kansas City 5-7 at Oakland 4-6 (2)
Minnesota 6-5 at California 4-6

NATIONAL LEAGUE
New York 3-6 at Montreal 5-4
St Louis 5-5 at Philadelphia 5-5
Los Angeles 2-9 at Atlanta 8-4
Houston 8-5 at Cincinnati 7-4
Chicago 5-5 at Pittsburgh 6-4
San Francisco 5-6 at San Diego 5-7

TEXAS RANGERS 6-5 AT CHICAGO WHITE SOX 8-4
MATCHUPS
SP Pete Broberg vs Stan Bahnsen Advantage Chicago
C Dick Billings vs Ed Hermann Advantage Chicago
1B Frank Howard vs Dick Allen Advantage Chicago
2B Ted Kubiak vs Mike Andrews Advantage Chicago
3B Dave Nelson vs Bill Melton Advantage Chicago
SS Toby Harrah vs Jorge Orta Advantage Texas
LF Jeff Burroughs vs Carlos May Advantage Texas
CF Elliott Maddox vs Jay Johnstone Advantage Texas
RF Ted Ford vs Pat H Kelly Advantage Chicago

The Rangers trying to avoid the sweep and their first ever series loss.

Chicago gets the first run of the game in the second inning. An unearned run.

After three: Chicago 1 Texas 0.

Chicago gets another unearned run in the fourth.

In the top of the sixth, Dick Billings ties the game with one swing of the bat. His second homer in as many games.

After six: Texas 2 Chicago 2.

Don Mincher comes in to pinch hit in the eighth and leads off with a double. And is stranded there.

In the bottom of the eighth, Chicago regains the lead off Horacio Pina.

And the Rangers go down in order in the ninth.

Final score: Chicago 3 Texas 2.

PLAYER OF THE GAME
Stan Bahnsen 8.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 4 K

OTHER SCORES
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Cleveland 3 Boston 2
Milwaukee 5 New York 0
Baltimore 5 Detroit 3
Kansas City 15 Oakland 1 Game 1
Oakland 7 Kansas City 4 11 innings Game 2
California 4 Minnesota 2

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Montreal 3 New York 0
St Louis 4 Philadelphia 1
Los Angeles 4 Atlanta 3
Houston 2 Cincinnati 1 11 innings
Pittsburgh 9 Chicago 8
San Diego 11 San Francisco 0

TOP PERFORMERS
1. Fred Norman San Diego Padres 9.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, W

2. Mike Hedlund Kansas City Royals 9.0 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, W

3. Nate Colbert San Diego Padres 3 for 4, HR, 4 RBI, 2 R

Also of note: Milwaukee Brewers SP Jim Jim Lonborg pitched a complete game shutout against the Yankees.

vrobx1 05-07-2017 05:01 AM

APRIL 20, 1972

This is another travel day for the Rangers as they end their eight game road trip and head home for the next nine games.

STANDINGS
AMERICAN LEAGUE
EAST
Milwaukee 7-4
Boston 7-5
New York 7-5
Baltimore 7-6
Cleveland 4-8
Detroit 3-7

WEST
Chicago 9-4
Minnesota 6-6