OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 18 Online Leagues (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3923)
-   -   Getting email to work (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=283967)

sjgmoney 12-29-2017 10:08 PM

Getting email to work

Having an issue in my online league, Results email that goes out at end of sim is no longer working. Was using my Verizon.net email to send it out, been doing it for years (because I was told using gmail didn't work) but not this email isn't working. I'm thinking it's because AOL (which now handles Verizon.net emails) changed their settings or something.

Anybody have any help here? Anybody running into this problem? Anybody use GMail successfully to send out these emails? Thanks

jazzrack 12-31-2017 01:59 AM

i use an smtp relay service, the free service works for me since i only send the ootp emails through it
https://www.smtp2go.com/

Nimrod2199 12-31-2017 11:26 PM

Most of the big email sites have a smtp mail address you can still use a gmail or hotmail account no need to go through another service

Nimrod2199 12-31-2017 11:28 PM

The smtp address for gmail is smtp.gmail.com port 465 SSL enabled

jazzrack 01-01-2018 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimrod2199 (Post 4264522)
Most of the big email sites have a smtp mail address you can still use a gmail or hotmail account no need to go through another service

yes they are set up for sending email through a client like outlook butgo ahead and set ootp with 20-24 emails addresses and send the emails without them getting rejected as spam by their systems, show us all how it works. inquiring minds want to know

Nimrod2199 01-01-2018 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzrack (Post 4264530)
yes they are set up for sending email through a client like outlook butgo ahead and set ootp with 20-24 emails addresses and send the emails without them getting rejected as spam by their systems, show us all how it works. inquiring minds want to know

Attached a photo of my settings. Just enter all the GMs emails into their manager profiles in game, then after the sim send out the emails via ootp. As soon as the file is uploaded i send out the emails letting the guys know they can download. Hope this helps!

captaincoop17 01-01-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzrack (Post 4264350)
i use an smtp relay service, the free service works for me since i only send the ootp emails through it
https://www.smtp2go.com/

This seems to fix the issue for Mac's... I highly recommend that everyone running a league on a Mac use this.

jazzrack 01-06-2018 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimrod2199 (Post 4264531)
Attached a photo of my settings. Just enter all the GMs emails into their manager profiles in game, then after the sim send out the emails via ootp. As soon as the file is uploaded i send out the emails letting the guys know they can download. Hope this helps!

i could never get it to send more than a handful of the emails.

but i also don't understand why using gmail would be better than a dedicated service that doesn't invade your privacy like gmail does. (not that privacy matters for ootp emails, it's a principle of the thing) they do the exact same thing... send mass emails. and the service is easier to get working

jazzrack 01-06-2018 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincoop17 (Post 4264581)
This seems to fix the issue for Mac's... I highly recommend that everyone running a league on a Mac use this.

it's not just MAC's i have the same issues. who the hell knows how google's algorithms decide who gets to send these types of emails. when i made a gmail account it wouldn't send any. When I used my university gmail account but it would only send a handful of emails before rejecting the rest as spam. and setting up my home email server to send these would have been a royal pain. I would have had to send in an application for a special certificate.

for anybody having problems getting emails to work, the service is a free & easy alternative

hank9481 01-28-2018 07:02 PM

This is because Markus and his buddies simply don't give two ****s whether there's a bug in a previous version. They aren't worried about fixing it. They are worried about dollars. It's like Madden. Just roll out a new product every single year because you can, polish it up with some 3D garbage or something and call it an upgrade. It's pretty ****ty business practice.

msupoke 01-29-2018 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hank9481 (Post 4272059)
This is because Markus and his buddies simply don't give two ****s whether there's a bug in a previous version. They aren't worried about fixing it. They are worried about dollars.

You don't say. And they run a business that way?

SupermanBSU 06-09-2018 05:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Probably 100% user error but I followed the aforementioned suggestions but I still get a connect error.

Attachment 560881

Attachment 560880

I even went the smtp2go route and used that smtp address and the pw they gave with the same error.

A little help from my friends would be great. Thanks!

Giants44 04-23-2020 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I changed this setting on Gmail and it resolved the problem.

probably not something you want to do if you are using your "primary" gmail account. But if you have one just for the league it should be fine

Nofulyn 04-14-2021 11:27 AM

Does anyone know the OOTP address? Not email, that is ignored. I want to write a letter on paper, put it in an envelope, and take it to the post office.

Nofulyn 04-14-2021 11:34 AM

Now that my OOTP software is frozen, instead of buying Perfect points, I buy baseball cards from my youth! Check out Amazon and ebay!