OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3858)
-   -   Interview with Silvam14 (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=238235)

Padreman 11-13-2013 03:46 PM

Interview with Silvam14

Here is my first is a series of interviews with local forum elite and legends. Putting a human element to the person behind the avatar.

Feel free to as follow-up or additional question if they are appropriate, respectful and not invading his privacy and if he wants to he will answe them.
Thank you.

Silvam14 member since 2004 with over 5,200 post Hall Fame Status thanked over 2,700 times, ladies and gentle here he is

When and what version did you start playing OOTP?

Started playing OOTP when 3 came out (can't remember the year) I ordered the CD from Markus and it came in the mail and played the heck out of it!

What's features of the game you love most?
As much as a lot of baseball is statistics and strategy, It is a very visual game for me as well. I love the way the teams and players come to life in the game with customizable jerseys/caps/logos/stadiums. This really makes the game much more immersive in my opinion. Of course, if anyone on here has seen my posts, they are mostly contributions of the graphics variety.

What's favorite baseball team (any league)?
Boston Red Sox

How old you?
I'm 37

Where are you originally from?
I was born in Somerville, Massachusetts. (right next door to Cambridge, Charlestown, and Boston) I grew up there and was easily able to take the T to Fenway to watch Red Sox games as a kid.

Are you a family man?
Yes, I have two young sons. one is almost 3, the other almost 5

What do you for a living?
I work for IBM as a Software Release Engineer

Besides OOTP do you have any other hobbies or interest?
I play ice hockey in a men's league twice a week to keep in shape and also to keep my beer tolerance up

I also enjoy spending time with my kids, going for walks, playing all sorts of other videogames...

Your known as a "modder" or "creator" what was the first you made for OOTP and do you still have it?
Geez, its hard for me to remember the first mod I created, but I know I got started during OOTP5. I had just met my future wife who was a graphic designer and I had no clue how to even open a program like Photoshop. well, I asked her some basic questions on how to touch up logos for OOTP and that was all it took. I became hooked on the graphics aspect. I would assume some of my early contributions would have been some fictional team or league logos. I did complete a pretty extensive, if not amateurish set of circular logos back then.

What individual item or project you made for OOTP are you most proud off?
I am most happy with my jersey sets for The US Cities, Nicknames, and Canadian cities. Took a lot of my time to do those, even though I use the great templates from Deft, Gern, Reds, Txranger and the others who I am forgetting

If the OOTP team asked you be a consultant what will you change, add or remove for new version of the game?
Given the chance, I would make the jersey options more robust. (add third jersey and sunday uniform options, maybe even spring training). Also, I would like to have jersey numbers made more prominent in the game (Team Retired numbers, maybe team hall of fames with hanging banners of its members with the name and numbers. Neat little stuff like that

What other modder's work do you personally enjoy?
Man, I love everything by anyone who takes the time to contribute. Mostly, I think Justafan and gern have some real Graphics talent and an eye for color combos that I could only dream of having. Love the name mods by Questdog, and the baseball card mods by fhomess and klavier and the others as well. Some old school people like Captn. Walrus and truthserum deserve a shout as well

Is there any other game or show your currently enjoying you would like to let us know about?
When my team is flagging, I enjoy blasting things in Borderlands 2 on my PS3 other than that, I play FHM, NHL14 and Diablo 3.

Orcin 11-13-2013 04:50 PM

Silvam14, I have always wanted to know...

1) Why are you called the "Senior Nancy Boy" of the forum?

2) What is the meaning/origin of your avatar?

silvam14 11-13-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin (Post 3601049)
Silvam14, I have always wanted to know...

1) Why are you called the "Senior Nancy Boy" of the forum?

2) What is the meaning/origin of your avatar?

I threw the Senior Nancy boy thing in there as a jest with a nod towards our old friend Malleus Dei who was self dubbed "Senior Member of the OOTP boards" and the nancy boy part came from another member called Megamanmatt who used to call people who weren't too patient with the release date of June (whichever version that was) nancy boys.

My avatar is something I stumbled upon on a different message forum oh around 2001 probably and I thought at the time it was the funniest thing I had ever seen.

Funny enough I saw a more recent picture if. That guy with the same shirt on. Man is he old! ;)

Thanks for the questions! This is a cool thing

silvam14 11-13-2013 08:11 PM

Found it

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/14/upu3u7ad.jpg

PSUColonel 11-13-2013 08:11 PM

Is that really you in your avatar?

silvam14 11-13-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 3601137)
Is that really you in your avatar?

Absolutely not!

silvam14 11-13-2013 08:21 PM

Here's a recent family photo:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/14/9aturapa.jpg

Padreman 11-13-2013 08:24 PM

Good looking family

silvam14 11-13-2013 08:25 PM

Bonus having superheroes as kids! ;)

GiantYankee 11-13-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvam14 (Post 3601140)

It's so funny becuase although I know (or thought I did) that your avatar wasn't a picture of you, I was a little stunned to see the pic lol. Thanks for all of your work!

Déjà Bru 11-13-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Funny how an avatar association takes on a life of its own. I will always picture you as the guy in that shirt. He's more real to me than you in this photo, nice as it is. :)

Questdog 11-13-2013 10:44 PM

We should pitch in and get him a new t-shirt that say, "I beat Furry Scalp Syndrome".......

Three lovely kids!.....

silvam14 11-13-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Questdog (Post 3601214)
We should pitch in and get him a new t-shirt that say, "I beat Furry Scalp Syndrome".......

Three lovely kids!.....

Funny enough, I beat the furry scalp syndrome right around when OOTP 2006 came out :ohmy:

Fyrestorm3 11-13-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiantYankee (Post 3601149)
It's so funny becuase although I know (or thought I did) that your avatar wasn't a picture of you, I was a little stunned to see the pic lol. Thanks for all of your work!

I will never picture him as anything other than a morbidly obese guy. Sorry, Silvam, but you brought that on yourself. :p

themonk 11-14-2013 08:33 AM

Great family photo! Adorable kids!

Bluenoser 11-14-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Very nice family.

fhomess 11-14-2013 12:27 PM

I've always been a fan of your avatar. My family has a history with anorexia that didn't turn out so well. Thanks for all your contributions to OOTP over the years. Lovely family, too.

Raidergoo 11-14-2013 02:35 PM

I think the avatar is iconic.

Gern44 11-14-2013 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike, someone had Photoshopped that Family Photo of yours. But don't worry... I fixed it for you...

Gern44 11-14-2013 02:50 PM

But seriously... great interview. Thanks for all your contributions to these forums... and more! ;)