OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 15 - New to the Game? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3881)
-   -   Stats Only: Tips and Help needed (Badly) (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=253240)

Ragin Cajun 04-01-2015 02:11 PM

Stats Only: Tips and Help needed (Badly)

So I've been playing off and on since OOTP6...but just got into my first stats only league.

Holy cow what a nightmare. :angry:

So, I need some tips on how to approach the game from this aspect. How to best determine players for drafting (mainly) as I guess it's "Stats Only" when evaluating who to call up, who to start, trading for players.

How accurate are the scouting reports for stats only (no coaches or scouts in game).

Anything would be a help at this point.

Painmantle 04-01-2015 02:21 PM

I'm in a League online that only show's potential not current, but that's about as far into that realm I've driven. I think The Wolf is one of the resident experts on Stats Only leagues, maybe he'll chime in

Ragin Cajun 04-03-2015 11:12 PM

Just a slight bump, still searching for some input. 49 views nobody has anything? :-(

(and this was NOT an April Fool post..lol, I really need some direction)

sprague 04-14-2015 05:56 PM

Just do a forum search for stats only. There were a couple of threads up here from the last year on just that. They should come up on the search- reading through those should likely get you answers to most questions on it you have.
cheers\

Questdog 04-14-2015 06:41 PM

It's really pretty simple; you just judge players the way you judge real players. By their stats. What was Tony Gwynn's Contact rating? I have no idea, but I bet it was pretty high since he hit well over .300 every year. What is Aroldis Chapman's Stuff rating? Dunno, but I know it is better than just about anybody else's.

Drafting is not difficult. The only thing that puts a little twist in it is the competition rating. Experience is the best teacher.

P.S. Contrary to what you may think, having feeder leagues does not make drafting easier. The stats the game generates for draftees are much more reliable than what you will get from feeder leagues, whose numbers are generated purely from Actual ratings, rather than Potential ratings. And at that stage of a player's career in OOTP, his actual ratings have very little to tell you about his potential.

sherdil 05-21-2015 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun (Post 3844039)
So I've been playing off and on since OOTP6...but just got into my first stats only league.

Holy cow what a nightmare. :angry:

So, I need some tips on how to approach the game from this aspect. How to best determine players for drafting (mainly) as I guess it's "Stats Only" when evaluating who to call up, who to start, trading for players.

How accurate are the scouting reports for stats only (no coaches or scouts in game).

Anything would be a help at this point.

When you play Stats Only, you use:
1. The Stats for Current Ability
2. Scouting Reports for Potential Ability

The accuracy of the Scouting Report depends on your settings and the skill of your Scout.

Also, it is highly recommended to have feeder leagues (another topic altogether) for the draft pool.

Now, as an example, a 22 yr old College SS who has consistently improved his Stats every year (ie. OPS) and whose scouting report says: "Future Hall of Fame, or Impact Potential at Bat etc" will be a pretty decent pick most of the time. No guarantees but that's what you look for.

Alternatively, if you don't want to click every single player to check his scouting report, you can enable view of Potential (like Stars) and see at quick glance the Scouting Report in terms of Stars.

Let me know if you have more questions.