OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3866)
-   -   Fix Free Agency (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=308139)

naturaldopamine 11-09-2019 10:28 AM

Fix Free Agency

I don't remember a single time that I had a player demand a relative amount of money/years than what he signed for 1 day later in free agency. And more times that not he will sign a considerably cheaper contract to play for a much weaker team.

This happens every offseason - but one unforgettable instance was when Andrew McCutchen (who is from Florida) signed with the 58-104 Giants over my 103-59 Braves (who just lost the WS in 7 games). I offered him a fantastic contract, and he immediately got 'angry' and cut negotiations with me. He then proceeded to take his anger 3,000 miles away from home to play for a pitiful Giants team - for less money - and less years.

I love this game to death but please fix free agency! https://1592792734.rsc.cdn77.org/ima...s/biggrin2.gif

pgjocki 11-09-2019 10:32 AM

What did he ask for as the starting offer? Maybe he values short term flexibility over money? Maybe he hates your manager?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pine Tar 11-21-2019 10:37 PM

The AI doesn't seem deep enough to give FA's or contract extensions enough meat to create any real immersion. It seems real hit and miss. Doing it the way I think it should happen would probably be very hard to code but we can always dream/

Pine

KBLover 11-22-2019 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturaldopamine (Post 4558031)

I don't remember a single time that I had a player demand a relative amount of money/years than what he signed for 1 day later in free agency. And more times that not he will sign a considerably cheaper contract to play for a much weaker team.

This happens every offseason - but one unforgettable instance was when Andrew McCutchen (who is from Florida) signed with the 58-104 Giants over my 103-59 Braves (who just lost the WS in 7 games). I offered him a fantastic contract, and he immediately got 'angry' and cut negotiations with me. He then proceeded to take his anger 3,000 miles away from home to play for a pitiful Giants team - for less money - and less years.

I wish I had your agents in my save.

I've had players demanding $50 M a year and getting $40-45 M. Guys signing $30-40 M contract extensions.

My #2 starter wanted $45 M/yr from me because he was convinced he wanted out and was close to breaking off talks. He "settled" for almost $30 M and would not take less than 6 years (he almost broke it off again).

I've never seen a situation like what you posted in your pic. If a player wanted $30 M per year, there's no way he's even listening to $10 M a year.

naturaldopamine 11-22-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBLover (Post 4563178)
I wish I had your agents in my save.

I've had players demanding $50 M a year and getting $40-45 M. Guys signing $30-40 M contract extensions.

My #2 starter wanted $45 M/yr from me because he was convinced he wanted out and was close to breaking off talks. He "settled" for almost $30 M and would not take less than 6 years (he almost broke it off again).

I've never seen a situation like what you posted in your pic. If a player wanted $30 M per year, there's no way he's even listening to $10 M a year.

It literally happens every single time, man. The AI controlled teams ALWAYS get the guy you wanted for a much cheaper price.

That's why I have moved exclusively to multiplayer.

BirdWatcher 11-22-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturaldopamine (Post 4563257)
It literally happens every single time, man. The AI controlled teams ALWAYS get the guy you wanted for a much cheaper price.

Hmm. Literally happens every time, eh? Just a touch of hyperbole, perhaps?

Because if this does literally happen all the time to you, if the AI team ALWAYS does, well, anything really, then you must just have the worst luck in the world my friend.

naturaldopamine 11-22-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdWatcher (Post 4563306)
Hmm. Literally happens every time, eh? Just a touch of hyperbole, perhaps?

Because if this does literally happen all the time to you, if the AI team ALWAYS does, well, anything really, then you must just have the worst luck in the world my friend.

I'm just curious - but do you have any proof of this ever not happening? It happens every time. I can't stress that enough. I am not exaggerating. It is impossible for it not to happen. :laugh:

You must be misunderstanding the situation. When I have a player who's contract is expiring - and I try to sign him to an extension and fail - the AI-controlled teams will always sign him for a much cheaper price.

60% of the time, it works every time.

BirdWatcher 11-22-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturaldopamine (Post 4563310)
I'm just curious - but do you have any proof of this ever not happening? It happens every time. I can't stress that enough. I am not exaggerating. It is impossible for it not to happen. :laugh:

You must be misunderstanding the situation. When I have a player who's contract is expiring - and I try to sign him to an extension and fail - the AI-controlled teams will always sign him for a much cheaper price.

60% of the time, it works every time.

How could I possibly have proof of what happens or doesn't happen in your OOTP universe? :laugh:

So you tell me that this happens 100% of the time in OOTP for you? Okay, I'll have to take your word on that.
In my experience, in life and in OOTP, things rarely literally happen every time. Almost never is that literally true. Virtually true? Perhaps.

But no, I can't say that I have found this to be always true, or even most of the time true, in my OOTP playing experience. Can I offer proof? Well, certainly not at the moment since I am not in front of the game. But again, my proof would be meaningless as it would only prove what happens for me in OOTP, not what happens for you. (And, no, sorry, I wasn't misunderstanding the situation. It just doesn't match my experience of things and sounded suspiciously, well, let's say exaggerated.)

akilleusjm 11-22-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdWatcher (Post 4563336)
How could I possibly have proof of what happens or doesn't happen in your OOTP universe? :laugh:

So you tell me that this happens 100% of the time in OOTP for you? Okay, I'll have to take your word on that.
In my experience, in life and in OOTP, things rarely literally happen every time. Almost never is that literally true. Virtually true? Perhaps.

But no, I can't say that I have found this to be always true, or even most of the time true, in my OOTP playing experience. Can I offer proof? Well, certainly not at the moment since I am not in front of the game. But again, my proof would be meaningless as it would only prove what happens for me in OOTP, not what happens for you. (And, no, sorry, I wasn't misunderstanding the situation. It just doesn't match my experience of things and sounded suspiciously, well, let's say exaggerated.)

I think he expressed himself badly, in fact it happens too much to me with players of 3 to 5 stars (in many cases), for example: a 4-star player and 28-30 years of age in his requirement is a contract of 9 years and 30MM for years and you offer 5 or 7 years with 33-35 million per year and they do not accept it, then you see that the AI hired him for 3 years and 28 MM. It happened to me a lot.

BirdWatcher 11-22-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akilleusjm (Post 4563357)
I think he expressed himself badly, in fact it happens too much to me with players of 3 to 5 stars (in many cases), for example: a 4-star player and 28-30 years of age in his requirement is a contract of 9 years and 30MM for years and you offer 5 or 7 years with 33-35 million per year and they do not accept it, then you see that the AI hired him for 3 years and 28 MM. It happened to me a lot.

Yes, I understand. I admittedly can be a bit picky about language usage and one of my pet peeves around here is when people seem to over-state their case to make a point.

But I realize that these sorts of things do happen in the game. I would argue that they do happen in real life as well though as negotiations aren't always just about the terms of the contract. I also think that one could see this as a matter of timing. Just as in real life, a player might initially be holding out for more than is reasonable and eventually has to settle for a lesser amount. Unfortunately, sometimes this means that the relationship between the player and their current or most recent team has soured to such an extent that it is another team that reaps the reward of signing the player to a more team-friendly contract.

Finally, I'll also admit that I rarely find myself in this situation as, for whatever reason, I am usually able to sign my players to extensions if that is what I choose to do. Perhaps I am just too willing to pay them what they want if I have decided to commit to keeping them. So I'm not sure that I have much experience with what you and the OP are referencing.

akilleusjm 11-22-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdWatcher (Post 4563360)
Yes, I understand. I admittedly can be a bit picky about language usage and one of my pet peeves around here is when people seem to over-state their case to make a point.

But I realize that these sorts of things do happen in the game. I would argue that they do happen in real life as well though as negotiations aren't always just about the terms of the contract. I also think that one could see this as a matter of timing. Just as in real life, a player might initially be holding out for more than is reasonable and eventually has to settle for a lesser amount. Unfortunately, sometimes this means that the relationship between the player and their current or most recent team has soured to such an extent that it is another team that reaps the reward of signing the player to a more team-friendly contract.

Finally, I'll also admit that I rarely find myself in this situation as, for whatever reason, I am usually able to sign my players to extensions if that is what I choose to do. Perhaps I am just too willing to pay them what they want if I have decided to commit to keeping them. So I'm not sure that I have much experience with what you and the OP are referencing.

In that case, is there any influence on money and time? Apart from whether or not you are a winning team? What would be those parameters that influence a player to choose a contract from another? Would you like your requirements not to be hired?
I'm sorry is my question about what you say. I do not speak English very well. im sorry.

BirdWatcher 11-22-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akilleusjm (Post 4563366)
In that case, is there any influence on money and time? Apart from whether or not you are a winning team? What would be those parameters that influence a player to choose a contract from another? Would you like your requirements not to be hired?
I'm sorry is my question about what you say. I do not speak English very well. im sorry.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that there can be other factors at work in where a player signs. For instance, they might be unhappy with how they are used on their current team or they might have a bad relationship with the manager. In cases like this, they might be motivated to sign with another team even if the monetary offer from their current team is greater.

Also, I am suggesting that the game might be capturing situations like that of Dallas Keuchel in the past few years. The progressions of things, from the Astros offering him a pretty large extension in 2016 which he rejected, to a more modest qualifying offer prior to him becoming a free agent this past off-season, and then his signing of a 1-year deal with the Braves at a far lower pay rate than he originally was seeking. I'm not saying that all of this exactly corresponds to the situation you and the OP are talking about, but my point is that there are these complicated processes that can break down between a club and a player and it is possible to see what you are describing as being a more compacted version of that process.
Now is that what the game is actually trying to simulate or is that just my way of justifying what the game does? I don't know.

And it is also another question entirely whether the game captures this nuance well. Probably in the eye of the beholder on that one.